Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Magnum | Magnum SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
s1120
AF Regular

How bad IS a 2.7L magnum???

Ive heard good, and bad about this. Most say the engine is a real peice, and others say that they have improved them alot. How about power?? Is the Magnum realy to big of a car for this engine?? Winter driving ?? Some have said its rotton, but some say the V6 cars are not that bad.

Im looking at a few 06 Magnums, and it seems more had the 2.7L in it.

Thanks for any help!!!
s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: How bad IS a 2.7L magnum???

The 2.7 is not very reliable,waterpump problems,a very weak bottom end which the crankshaft gets eaten up,timing chains and known for sludge build up.Use synthetic oil in the 2.7 only and most recomend Mobil 1.The 2.7 is an interferance engine if the timing chain breaks.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
s1120
AF Regular

OK, thanks. I will avoid them then. thanks for the info!
s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

There are some with the 3.2 or 3.5 for V6 models which are more reliable and bullet proof
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
badassgremlin
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to badassgremlin Send a message via Yahoo to badassgremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
There are some with the 3.2 or 3.5 for V6 models which are more reliable and bullet proof
They don't make the 3.2 anymore, and they never put in the Magnum. Only the 2.7/3.5, which is a good motor for the most part.

badassgremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

Some did come with the Hemi too and the Hemi runs too
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
spunbearings
AF Newbie

never had a problem with my 06 magnum 2.7, has 80k miles on it. the sludge build up with the new generation 2.7 isn't an issue like it was for the intrepid years. they increased the size of the oil galleries and it uses a sludgeless oil 5w20 now. the traction in the snow isn't bad as long as you take yor time. the motor will move the car but it wont smoke the tires either. they changed the fi to sequential fuel injection from the old port injection which gives the motor a nice growl like a 3.8 gm with free flow exhaust. the only draw back, it has a crappy intake design which requires removal to change spark plugs on the passenger side of motor. and it has real week steering components, expect to replace the tie rod ends and ball joints. also it has a double row timing chain.
spunbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
passnbyu
AF Newbie

Spunbearings, You couldn't have put it any better. I have a 06 with the 2.7. All I've done to mine so far is one inner and both out tie rods and brakes. Thats with 70k on it. The only other things I dislike is that there is no dip stick on the transmission and no fuel filter. I was thinking of putting a fuel filter in line once the warrenty runs out. Great job!!!
Passnbyu
ps: plus its fun to drive! We love ours!
passnbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
JoeDeJong
AF Newbie

Peronally I like the 2.7... It's a tiny motor that makes 200hp solid and very good torque. I have an 03 Sebring with 190k and it still runs great.. I wouldn't recommend it to an idiot, however. My water pump does have the issue. And they were not wise to place the water pump inside the timing set. And if you use conventional oil it will sludge up. The timing tensioner is a big weak spot as well. If anything happens to that and you blow your timing the motor will crash and it's over (Notorious interference engine). My water pump has been leaking for some time now, it leaks out the back, through the weep hole that goes through the lifter valley and out of the block through the bellhousing LOL!! The lower end needs to be maintained as well. You have to do the bearings if you see your oil light come on, but at least it's not horribly difficult.

This engine has a good side and a bad side.
JoeDeJong is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Magnum | Magnum SRT8