Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
suekpti
AF Newbie

96 Avenger stalls and won't start when hot

My daughter's 96 Avenger runs fine for about 20 minutes and then it stalls when slowing to a stop. Once it stalls, you can't start it again until it completely cools off. Then it starts up and runs fine. On one hot day, this happened three times. We took it to our garage and they replaced a clogged fuel filter thinking that it was the problems, but it still happened. WE checked the engine codes and we're getting a P0301. Any ideas??
suekpti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
danny87
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 96 Avenger stalls and won't start when hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by suekpti
My daughter's 96 Avenger runs fine for about 20 minutes and then it stalls when slowing to a stop. Once it stalls, you can't start it again until it completely cools off. Then it starts up and runs fine. On one hot day, this happened three times. We took it to our garage and they replaced a clogged fuel filter thinking that it was the problems, but it still happened. WE checked the engine codes and we're getting a P0301. Any ideas??

try a tune up first cheap stuff first then the most $ later the cheap stuff will probly help that out dose it have A/C?
danny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
suekpti
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Avenger stalls and won't start when hot

Yes, it has AC. We're replacing the ignition coild today to see if it helps. WE haven't driven it more than 20 minutes at a time, so it hasn't gotten warm enough to stall lately.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
twistedtech
AF Regular

I can only asume that your tech has a good scanner like a 2500a so he can watch the crank sensor. I bet it drops out when hot.

Even at a Mensa convention,
Someone's the dumbest person in the room.
twistedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
suekpti
AF Newbie

Our 96 Avenger stalled again two days ago when it was really hot outside. She drove it for about a half hour, and it died when she was slowing at an intersection. It wouldn't start again for about an hour and a half. Then it started and she drove it home without stopping much. We're baffled as far as what to replace now. We've noticed that it leaks coolant slowly. We have to add some every few days.

There are so many sensors on these Avengers, that one of them is triggering the computer to shut the engine down when it's hot. We tried to test the map sensor and it was getting power okay. We didn't test it with the engine running though.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
suekpti
AF Newbie

After the car stalls and won't start (until it cools), it does crank over, it just doesn't start. Could it still be the crank sensor?
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
terry LAMB
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suekpti
After the car stalls and won't start (until it cools), it does crank over, it just doesn't start. Could it still be the crank sensor?

I am having the same problem with my 96.What I have found is when this happens.You can unplug the coolent sensor for the fan just under the radiator cap and the car will start and run.that way the computer isnt shuting down the car because it doesnt know its hot.When I figure out whats wrong with mine if I do.lol.I will post it and send to you also.You do the same.
terry LAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
suekpti
AF Newbie

We'll try that next time it stalls. Then we have to figure out why it gets so hot. We're going to replace the water pump next. And the timing belt while he has it apart. Now that we took the car off the road, we have time to figure it out.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
ShadeTreeJack
AF Newbie

"When I figure out whats wrong with mine if I do.lol.I will post it "...hello Terri? Suekpti?? what was it? I have money on twistedtech and the crank sensor - had that 3 times on my GM products. please update as it will help others solve their issues
ShadeTreeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Rexcon
AF Newbie

There are such a large number of sensors on these avengers that one of them is triggering the workstation to close the motor down when its smoking.
We tried to test the guide sensor and it was getting force

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger