Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4?
It's awesome and is way better than the F1 0 0%
The F1 may have been beat but it'll still be #1 9 52.94%
I really don't care 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #46
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: The F1 has been beat

what reliability issues?
as far as i'm aware, the V12 in the F1 is one of the most unbreakable engines out there despite it being 10+ years old now.

you're the one going on about how nissan is far more reliable than the ferrari (and /or mclaren).
we're just disputing that.
you prove your statement first.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #47
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Hey man, not trying to flame, keep in mind this is a car comparison forum. I wasn't the one who started comparing a skyline to a Mclaren, but since it came up I am here to compare. Like I said before I am sure the skyline is a fine car, but if you want a non conflicting view on it than post in the skyline forum. This is the place for open discussion and comparison between cars.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #48
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

McLaren F1's at Le Mans 1995 finished:

1st-running
3rd-running
4th-running
5th-running
13th-running
30th-DNF, Clutch
36th-DNF, Accident

So we have 7 McLaren F1's that entered, one of which had a mechanical DNF in a 24 hour race where the winner covered a distance of over 4000 km. That seems like a pretty good reliability record to me.

Source: http://www.experiencelemans.com/en-us/dept_142.html
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #49
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

well im doubting the reliability of ferraris, but...how often do they replace the engines in those mclarens? after every race. they are good as race engines go but they are still race engines.

and if im not mistaken, to dispute something requires proof. i chose to make the statement and without proof on either side its your opinion against mine. thats it.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #50
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

i think this says it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
Why do people love talking out of their asses these days?

If you're going to say car X is more reliable than car Y, you'd better have something to back that up. And you clearly know jack shit about Ferrari reliability.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #51
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

What makes you so certain of the reliability of the RB26DETT's in the Z-tunes?

I'll tell you this right now, with only 20 cars built, they may have been handled expertly but you're still talking about raised compression, raised boost, lighter pistons, more stress on the rods and crank.

What has been done to the reciprocating assembly on the Z-Tune?

Speaking from experience, the more highly tuned a mass-production engine becomes, the easier it becomes to break it at its weakest point. From my competition understanding, the RB26DETT has severe oiling problems under g-loads and tends to starve the crank. How did Nissan address this for the Z-tune? Dry sump? Bigger oil pan and oil pump on the wet sump system? Bigger oil galleries in the block?

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if the Z-tune has MORE reliability issues than a typically high-strung exotic. The exotic engines' issues come from detuning racing engines and expecting them to tolerate stop and go driving every once in a while. The Z-tune's problems will come from expecting a tuned version of the engine in a family of midsized sedans to do serious performance work.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #52
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The F1 has been beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
well im doubting the reliability of ferraris, but...how often do they replace the engines in those mclarens? after every race. they are good as race engines go but they are still race engines...
I'm sure the engines were either new or recently rebuilt before the race, and either changed or rebuilt after the race. With multimillion dollar budgets for a single race, they would be stupid to not prep every aspect of the car as best as is possible. 4000 km on race conditions is WAY harder on an engine than anything you will ever see on the street. For comparison, the team I work for rebuilds the engine before and the engine is taken apart and thoroughly examined after a 12 hour race....and this is in an ITS 1995 Mazda Miata, which are known for having very good reliability in endurance races. One 24 hr race is more stress and strain on the engine than many of the McLaren F1's will ever see in their lifetime.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #53
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

crankshaft die forged and balanced to within 1 gram
and even though the engine is stroked over stock, the dimensions are still way oversquare: 78mm stroke x 88mm bore. combined with a 4.8 inch rod, the engine doesnt see that high of piston speeds.
forged 8.5:1 pistons balanced to within 1 gram
chrome moly steel conrods balanced to within 1 gram
it comes with a metal headgasket stock and im not sure but arent ferrari and F1 blocks aluminum? skylines are iron block engines.

btw wanna speak of endurance racing?
the same exact engine setup won its class in the 2004 nurburgring 24hour endurance race and placed 5th overall

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #54
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

and that has what to do with ferrari reliability?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #55
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

lol nothing
i was just offering some proof to my statements of skyline reliability

Old 06-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #56
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

The F1 has been beat

The F1 has been beat but not by the Veyron lol. The veyron has reached 231 mph before bodypanels started to vibrate and rip off lol. The veyron will most likely never reach 241 mph let alone the projected 252mph. Bugatti has made them selves look like an ass by claiming the stats and not being able to perform. The new topspeed will be restricted to 218 mph. The only one that has broken the record is the swede car (Zed knows very well) Koenigsegg CCR. With a topspeed of 388kmh... (www.Koenigsegg.com) The veyron rumors are they might be an even high topspeed but for more skilled drivers. The car will in a sence lock up the wheels will only be able to move to a certain degree (10 Im not sure though) and a rear spoiler will be deployed for stability.

388Kmh edit...
" ~ Igor

Last edited by jcsaleen; 06-20-2005 at 01:37 PM.
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #57
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: The F1 has been beat

Just one note on the ferrari reliablity ... Depends on the models really. I have a name on ferrarichat (F335 has one too )and people are always complaining about the 360's for the most part. Its not really technical problems though its more of there lack of craftsmanship today. Some people have said the Gap's in the body panels are so wide you can fit your hand in. (not a good sign of quality) The gap space should be alot less an neatly pressed. Go check out some of the complaints for your self - www.ferrarichat.com
" ~ Igor
Old 06-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #58
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

firstly, as you noted, body fitment ISN'T a reliablity issue.

secondly, i think it's safe to say that the thing about fitting a hand between panels is an exageration. i've seen bad badly lined up panels where it's lop-sided and a gap has formed that i could fit my little finger into but a hand? besides, bad fitting is what you get for having what is still essentially a hand built car. are you aware of how much effort it takes to form and fit and join aluminium?

thirdly, i would've thought that someone who has been on these boards for as long as you would've learnt how to use that edit button.

finally, what's 288kmh in mph?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #59
9eleventb0
AF Enthusiast

288kmh = 179mph

When they tested the CCR at Nardo, it achieved a top speed of 395kmh (242mph).......and according to koenigsegg, it can pull a 9 second quarter mile to boot (eek!!)
9eleventb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #60
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Sorry about that its 388...

" ~ Igor

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons