Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which one would you pick and why?
97-01 prelude 4 11.11%
95-99 eclipse gs-t/gsx 6 16.67%
93-96 3000gt vr4 or stealth rt/tt 17 47.22%
cheap/high mileage 300zx tt 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:28 PM   #16
Skyline_R32_Canada
AF Enthusiast

bump x2

Old 08-17-2004, 11:34 PM   #17
GTO4Life
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Narrowed Down...PICK ONE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
200 pounds is a huge difference! Ask any racer who tunes his car well and aims for maximum performance and tell him 200 pounds isnt alot he will laugh in your face. My freind jus took 18 pounds off his over all car weight by buyin a lightweight fly wheel and his performance is alot better. What about carbon fiber hoods why do u think they use them even on prorace cars? I guess 10 pounds dosent matter to them does it?

Well lets get down to the facts.... The VR4 is still faster than the 300ZX, so i believe that ends the arguement.

PS: im not taking sides. I own a 3000GT right now and soon getting a 350Z. But i do have to admit the VR4 is a better overall car. Heavy yes, but it sure as hell has a reason why. Yet, the Z might be more reliable.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #18
3kgt8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Narrowed Down...PICK ONE!!

you can easily take those 200lbs off the vr4 so please everyone stop complaining about its weight, when in reality the 3000gt vr4 competes with supras and even skylines.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:52 AM   #19
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I agree that the VR4 faster, but it's also more expensive and heavier (heavier doesn't just mean slower in a drag race, it means worse handling and braking as well). Mitsubishi has a history of problems with AWD trannies; even their FWD trannies aren't that strong.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:05 AM   #20
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

As a mechanic, I'll tell you right off the bat that Mitsubishis have a pretty spotty reliability record.

The 3000GT VR4's and their Stealth R/T bretheren have several major faults. First off, even the most diehard VR4/Steath enthusiast will tell you that the clutch is a weak point in the driveline. It has a hard time living up to the workload of spirited driving under stock settings. Start messing around with those snails and you'll fast find yourself smoking clutch plates.

Also, the electrical system is a NIGHTMARE in VR4's and Stealths. Dear god, searching for a short in that mess of spaghetti is a quest for morons and fools. Seriously, I want to track down the jackass engineer at Mitsubishi who decided on this list of bullshit for the VR4.

-standard air conditioning (switched to R-134a in 1994),
-available tailgate wiper/washer
-power windows and door locks
-speed control
-a security alarm
-remote keyless entry system which became available in 1993.
-all-wheel drive
-four-wheel steering
-Active Aero (the ability to adjust front air dam and rear wing positions depend upon speed).
-triple mode electronically controlled supension
-dual mode active exhaust.

All of which is entirely superfluous bullshit on a performance car and a nightmare to work on.

Get the 300ZX. Bulletproof engine proved in the Nissan Pathfinder coupled with a solid track proven FR chassis.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 AM   #21
CaTasHtRoPhE 67
AF Enthusiast

vr4 or 300z tt
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 AM   #22
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

300ZX TT!!! the vr4 will beat the z 1st through part of 2nd, and then the tt will start catching back up. and then take it to auto-x or the track and the z is a great car. the only thing i see the vr4 has on the z is awd. and personally, i rather have rwd.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #23
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Air Conditioning makes sense in a Sports car, if you're unfit like me then it'll cool you down and keep the concentration up. The lap times'd probably be faster with it, due to the extra concentration.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 AM   #24
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
As a mechanic, I'll tell you right off the bat that Mitsubishis have a pretty spotty reliability record.
No shit, there's a reason they're almost bankrupt now
Old 08-18-2004, 10:06 AM   #25
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: Re: Re: Narrowed Down...PICK ONE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO4Life
uhh.... the Vr4...lets see.... 3700 lbs.

300ZX TT - 3500 lbs. Oh ya big difference.

VR4 hands down.
uh.. why don't you lay off the undue sarcasm and try to have a civil conversation. considering that he had 3 other cars listed as options, compare the weight of the VR4 to that of the eclipse or preulde and uhh, yeah big difference.

that being said it's more like 3800 lbs, and all that weight coupled with the fact that the vr4 is going to put less power to the ground due to AWD drivetrain loss compared to the Z being RWD puts the VR4 at a disadvantage.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #26
Skyline_R32_Canada
AF Enthusiast

looking at what's all been said for the vr4 and 300zx, i think the main concern is the 'flaws' in the 3000gt. Once you get around that I'm pretty sure the vr4 is top pick in this category go.

Thanks for the opinions, more are welcome!

Old 08-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #27
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I'll say this again, I've had fourteen combined years of experience with two VR4s. The only major issue was the second syncro in the transmission. Zero clutch problems. Zero electrical problems. In fact, my 2002 Accord has had more issues then my 95 Spyder which has a whole lot more unique features.

I know other VR4 owners as well as Stealth owners. They've had no more problems with their cars then with any others. The few 300Z owners that I know have also had few problems. The reality is that if the car is taken care of, it will have few issues. The fact a mechanic sees a car with issues doesn't necessarily mean they know where the problems came from. So when it comes down to it, you can either believe someone who works on the car, or someone who owns the cars.

The VR4 acts and looks like a sports car, but its a grand touring car. Its supposed to be a comfortable ride with lots of bells and whistles - which it is. Its not supposed to be a stripped out road rocket. It was all those features (aside from the fantastic look) that drew me to the car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #28
GTO4Life
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
uh.. why don't you lay off the undue sarcasm and try to have a civil conversation. considering that he had 3 other cars listed as options, compare the weight of the VR4 to that of the eclipse or preulde and uhh, yeah big difference.

that being said it's more like 3800 lbs, and all that weight coupled with the fact that the vr4 is going to put less power to the ground due to AWD drivetrain loss compared to the Z being RWD puts the VR4 at a disadvantage.

Ok fanboy... whatever you say... I thought the thread was about an alla round performance car, not just weight. So why dont you "lay off" and stop talking about a car you only read up on instead of driven...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #29
GTO4Life
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogsVR4
I'll say this again, I've had fourteen combined years of experience with two VR4s. The only major issue was the second syncro in the transmission. Zero clutch problems. Zero electrical problems. In fact, my 2002 Accord has had more issues then my 95 Spyder which has a whole lot more unique features.

I know other VR4 owners as well as Stealth owners. They've had no more problems with their cars then with any others. The few 300Z owners that I know have also had few problems. The reality is that if the car is taken care of, it will have few issues. The fact a mechanic sees a car with issues doesn't necessarily mean they know where the problems came from. So when it comes down to it, you can either believe someone who works on the car, or someone who owns the cars.

The VR4 acts and looks like a sports car, but its a grand touring car. Its supposed to be a comfortable ride with lots of bells and whistles - which it is. Its not supposed to be a stripped out road rocket. It was all those features (aside from the fantastic look) that drew me to the car.

agreed...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #30
GTO4Life
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max

Have you seen the 1/4 mile times of the Z and the VR4? As most people know the VR4 has a better time. In which means it wouldnt matter if the Z can catch up or not. Because it would take it more than a 1/4 mile to do so. Most races are done by then.....

PS: sorry for all the posting.... :P

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons