Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
imasalespro
AF Newbie

01 Lincoln LS V8 Starting Problems - HELP!

I have owned this 01 LS with a V8 for about a year now and have had it to the dealer at least 6 times. After bringing the car in twice, the dealer finally found that there was a problem with the fuel injector. 3 months later the problem came back - basically the car takes 3-6 seconds of cranking before it starts (from a cold start of more than 2 hours). The last 3 times I have had it in the dealer has reprogrammed the computer and thought it was fixed - Wrong! After this last time, the dealer said they could not find a problem and felt they were doing all they could - in fact, they told me to switch to a lower octane gas and see if that works. I am hoping somebody knows of other options I can share with this dealer. Or maybe I should just take the car to a different Lincoln dealer???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
imasalespro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
tylers65
AF Newbie

Re: 01 Lincoln LS V8 Starting Problems - HELP!

I would be curious why a dealer would tell you to switch to a lower octane fuel when your owner's manual specifically says to use only 91 or better.

Lower octane fuel will cause detenation and potentially ruin you valves. Before I did anything this guy says, I would request (In writing) a guarantee stating that they will replace your valve train if you incur any adverse effects by using a lower octane fuel at their request.

If there is anything I hate about FoMoCo service departments of any name brand, it is the ease in which they give up. If they cannot find a problem easily, they offer no assistance in replacing anything, or trying to make it right. They simply say "I dunno" and send you packing. I have experienced this twice already on 2 different vehicles with 2 different problems. One of which was on a 2000 F-350 with a miss. They could not figure it out and so I had to go to their corperate HQ and demand results.

The other was on a Nissan Altima that I had bought used from a Ford dealer along with their warrenty. It had a noise in the valve train and I wanted it fixed. But when they pulled my entire top end apart, they could not find any excessively warn items so they put it back together with all of the original parts and made the noise louder. When I told them all they did was make it worse, they told me they would not be able about it. Then they forgot to torque the drain plug on my oil pan down and I lost all of my oil out of the car 5 miles away from the dealer. They said that I sabotaged my own engine because they could not fix it.

Still fighting with Ford over that.

The moral of the story?

Don't trust a FoMoCo service department. They know enough to do routine service and nothing more. They (IMO) are nothing more than JiffyLube employees that graduated to being able to change spark plugs. If you experience an issue that involves any real troubleshooting, you are better to take it to an experienced mechanic. The FoMoCo service department is nothing more than the name states... Service department. They can service your car, but they cannot repair it. If it goes beyond what the average (mechanically inclined) Joe with a decent set of tools is capable of, they cannot perform it either.
tylers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
imasalespro
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info... Sounds familiar to your experience. They told me to switch to a lower octane because it "burns quicker" or something like that??? I am seriously considering selling the car and buying something more reliable.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
clubairth
AF Newbie

Octane

One more point: By Federal Law ALL vehicles MUST be able to operate on 87 octane fuel. The car may run better with 91 and above octane but you will NOT cause any damage by using the cheapest 87 octane you can find.
clubairth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #5
el es
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasalespro
I have owned this 01 LS with a V8 for about a year now and have had it to the dealer at least 6 times. After bringing the car in twice, the dealer finally found that there was a problem with the fuel injector. 3 months later the problem came back - basically the car takes 3-6 seconds of cranking before it starts (from a cold start of more than 2 hours). The last 3 times I have had it in the dealer has reprogrammed the computer and thought it was fixed - Wrong! After this last time, the dealer said they could not find a problem and felt they were doing all they could - in fact, they told me to switch to a lower octane gas and see if that works. I am hoping somebody knows of other options I can share with this dealer. Or maybe I should just take the car to a different Lincoln dealer???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did they replace the REM, rear electronic module?

I went through the same ordeal; upon my having the car towed back to the dealer and leaving it for 90+ days they were advised by Lincoln Engineers that when the fuel pumps are replaced so should the REM. The problem has not returned in over 120+ days.

Sometimes you have to be willing to go the extra mile in order for them to go the extra mile. Some problem cannot be fixed in a day, week or month; I realized that after they said it was fixed and it repeated the very next day. After I had my car towed back I told them to take their time becasue I wanted it fixed and that I didn't care for anymore guess work. It was tough being without the car but I now have enjoyed the longest run of uninterrupted use since I bought the car.

I have a laundry list of things that have gone wrong and if anyone should be disenfranchised it is me. I say hang in there and go back to the shop and have a sit down with them.

Are they a AAA approved shop if so become a AAA member and get them involved. Did you pay with CC? If so you have some means of recourse if they absolutely do not want to fix your car. Here is an opportunity for them to learn something and earn brand loyalty from your household.

I will be happy to provide you with contact information to the lincoln shop that fixed mine.

Photo gallery of Ye ol' Black Pearl
el es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
imasalespro
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. The car is Lincoln Certified and is covered under the extended warranty - although it costs me $100 deductable each time.

After the last visit to reset the PCM, which did not work, I talked them into replacing all 8 fuel injectors. It's now been 3 weeks problem-free starting. Believe it or not, another problem came up with the airbag light coming on. 3 hours and $100 deductable later, it was fixed.

I think I've been more than willing to go the "extra mile." I have never owned a vehicle that has seen the service garage more frequently. I just went through my invoices and counted 8 times since I've owned the car - in ONLY 11 months! I don't belong to AAA, and have been taking the car to a Lincoln dealership, which continues to tell me they're doing all they can and treating me like some ignorant fool.

I've owned a Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Chevy in the past but never a Ford. I can assure you that this will be the first and last. My experience with Ford service (at least where I live) is that they are polite but do not go the "extra mile" you speak of. They do only what is written in their manual and nothing more.

It appears the car is running okay today, void of any noticable problems which is why it is now up for sale - If you want another lemon in your garage while your's is in the shop, I'll make you a hell of a deal!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
el es
AF Enthusiast

I know your pain. I have no less than 30 service slips since my purchase, most under warranty thankfully. I know I missing a few too which paints a even grimmer picture.

I have owned several Fords in my life time, trying to be good American buying American made but as of 2003 my household has bought 1 nissan altima 3.5 SE and leased a 350z over 35k miles on the altima and have only had to change the oil and air filters and most of those were free becasue I got them to throw in oil changes for 2 years.

I love my car but this is my last FLM PERIOD Further it is more than likely my last "American" made unless you are talking about a really really sweet deal.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #8
ttbit
AF Regular

Re: Re: 01 Lincoln LS V8 Starting Problems - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers65
If there is anything I hate about FoMoCo service departments of any name brand, it is the ease in which they give up. If they cannot find a problem easily, they offer no assistance in replacing anything, or trying to make it right.
Had my Oldsmobile Intrigue in for the same problem 3 times in 2 weeks. They charged me for crap that wasn't broken. It is hard to find good troubleshooters, period. It isn't the brand.

I will admit, I never want to own another GM product in my life though. I am considering a Nissan Maxima.
ttbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
el es
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 01 Lincoln LS V8 Starting Problems - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbit
Had my Oldsmobile Intrigue in for the same problem 3 times in 2 weeks. They charged me for crap that wasn't broken. It is hard to find good troubleshooters, period. It isn't the brand.

I will admit, I never want to own another GM product in my life though. I am considering a Nissan Maxima.

we love our 03 3.5SE Atima. Only thing I do not like is that the steering wheel control are not illuminated. Maybe they have upgraded that by now.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:54 PM   #10
fry628
AF Regular

Sounds like tyler65 has had a bad experience like you. The problem you had more than likely was a few leaking injectors or a bad fuel pump. They can only replace one at a time unless they see another faulty one under lincoln warrenty restrictions. The tech you had probably tried to figure it out using only the computer and not removing the rail and visually inspecting them, it takes more work that way. The thing to do is when you find a good tech request only him to work on your car. Something else is to develope a repor with him if you only give him a thank you card or a five he will remember you and not want to let you down.(only good techs) If you listen to Tyler65 and use 87 octane your car will run but your computer will adjust and your performance will go down.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
twitdaddy
AF Newbie

HERE IS THE REAL FIX FOR LS HARD START! I had this same problem for over a year. Its not your fuel pump, relay or coil but you injector. What happens is your injector gets clogged and wont completly shut thus resulting in loss of fuel pressure causing hard start and flooding and eventually foul the plug.
twitdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
willsvb
AF Newbie

Hi Guys, I'm new here, I've owned my 2001 Lincoln Ls since 2004 so 11 years and now I've got a problem.
Occasionally when I get in the car and try to start it, turn the key and nothing! I can hear the fuel pump, and all the typical lights on the dash will light up, no dimming of the lights or such like, just nothing!
After flicking the key about 15 to 20 times it will catch and start. It will start normally the next 2 or 3 times and then does it again!
What could be the problem? Flat spot on the commutator on the start motor? or .. Relay problem??
Thanks in advance for your help! Bill.
willsvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
willsvb
AF Newbie

The engine at this point doesn't turn over, it almost seems like a dead spot on the start motor comutator..
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

When the key is held in the START position do the accessories turn off like they would when the start is engaged? Have you ever tried shifting to Neutral to see if it will start while in neutral?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
willsvb
AF Newbie

yes I've tried the neutral thing too, but no difference. All the normal things happen when the key is turned to the start position eg: dash lights go off etc. but no engine turn over! The starter solenoid doesn't even click!
I just keep flicking the key until I get a response and it fires right up!
It hasn't done it now since I posted my problem on this forum, so I am just waiting for it to do it again and I'll install the new relay I bought and see what happens...cheapest fix first I guess !

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ