Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
vando002
AF Regular

'02 LS Driver Side Hub Assembly

2002 LS V8 - 70k miles

I'm in the process of replacing a bunch of front end parts due to bad boots and looseness and brake pads. I spun the rotor with the brake caliper and pads off and noticed a clicking noise in the hub assembly. I tried the other side, and no clicking. Is this the sign of a failed hub?

Thanks,
vando002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: '02 LS Driver Side Hub Assembly

Did you check to make sure it wasn't rubbing on the water shield and that there wasn't a piece of grass or something rubbing on the inner stub? Assuming there's nothing foreign rubbing on the rotor or stub, it could be a failed wheel bearing or possibly a problem with the ABS sensor or tone ring.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
vando002
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Did you check to make sure it wasn't rubbing on the water shield and that there wasn't a piece of grass or something rubbing on the inner stub? Assuming there's nothing foreign rubbing on the rotor or stub, it could be a failed wheel bearing or possibly a problem with the ABS sensor or tone ring.

-Rod
Nothing foreign rubbing. As I spin the rotor faster, the clicking gets faster. If the hub comes off easily, I'll change it. If not, I'll move on. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

If they use salt on the roads in Wisconsin like they do here in Iowa, the hub assembly probably will not come apart easily. If it does, then it's not a bad job to replace the hub/bearing assembly.

-Rod
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
vando002
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
If they use salt on the roads in Wisconsin like they do here in Iowa, the hub assembly probably will not come apart easily. If it does, then it's not a bad job to replace the hub/bearing assembly.

-Rod
I just went ahead and changed the hub assembly. Took only a few minutes to get it apart. I was fortunate to have recently purchased this car from someone who just moved up to IL from Florida. I've never worked on a car without rust, it's such a beautiful thing!!

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

Glad it worked out for you. Did the new hub solve the noise concern? It may be worth the effort to pull the other hub and put some anti-seize around the hub/bearing housing and on the mounting bolts so when/if it fails it won't be seized in place.

-Rod
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
vando002
AF Regular

There is no more ticking when spinning the hub. Good idea on the other side, if I ever take the other side apart for any reason, I will do that. Right now I'm dealing with trying to remove the drivers side valve cover to do the gasket job as I have a lot of oil in the spark plug tubes causing coils to fail. The passenger side was easy, driver side...not so much.

Thanks,