Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
PAC730
AF Newbie

'84 300DT very poor power

Hello all, this is in reference to a 1984 300 D T 143,xxx miles on it. As of lately, the car just seems to have no power, I couldn't keep up with this guy in a 80 240D in bad shape. I had unfoutunatly, took it to a MB indy shop here in florida, that I believe did more damage than I can fix myself, he fixed the vacum lines, well not it holds a vacum for a whole 5 minutes, he "adjusted " the tranny, now it shifts like crap, also my glow plug light only lights about 3 out of 10 starts, it still starts when the light dosen't come on, but it should come on everytime. Any ideas? Thanks all, -----Paul
PAC730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
SUMOBOY
AF Regular

Take it to a dealer once and get it fixed. Period. Pay the bux to get it done, then keep all the fluids changed as per the maintenance schedule. Be sure the vacuum pump is working. BTW, what was wrong with the vacuum lines to begin with?
Trans works off the vacuum, as well as the turbo boost as well as the door locks, ignition, engine shut off, etc. If they "fixed" the lines and now your trans works like crap, then chances are they didn't really fix anything now, did they? Also, be sure you turbo is working. Last thing, there is a kit thats available to make your trans start off in first gear. Mercedes are designed to start in second gear unless you downshift it all the way manually to low.
If your glow light doen't always come on it could be anything from a loose wire to a faulty glow plug relay, part number 001-545-98-32.
We still get these cars in occasionally with as much as 400k miles that are in great shape. Keep the fluids changed and the valves adjusted (recommended every 15 k miles) and you're good to go forever.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion