Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 02:16 AM   #1
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Any news on the rebirth of the 6-series?

I keep hearing that BMW is going to fill in the number blanks, including the 6-series. Why didnt they do this sooner, especially with the popularity of Benz's CLK? Im so tired of hearing about how glorious the CLK is compared to the 3-series coupe; they're no where near the same class. Who else misses seeing those 635csi? Hurry up with the new 6!
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 06:36 PM   #2
matt
AF Regular

Yeah, It'll basically be a 5 series coupe, which BMW needs badly. I can't wait to see it.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:25 PM   #3
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

Yes!! Check out the new Motor Trend. I'll Pretty much give it to you here.

From the July 2001 Issue of Motor Trend Magazine:

BMW is absolutely abuzz with future product. Along with the 1 Series we showed you in last month's "News," BMW will add a 6 Series coupe in late 2003. A Cabrio Version will arrive a year later. The Four-passenger coupe (Code-named E63) and Cabrio (E64) will be based on components from the next generation 5 and 7 Series. Since the ever-numbered BMW series connotes low volume, don't expect a big selectionat your local dealer.

Evoking the rakish 3.0 CSi coupe of the 70's, the 640 CSi will get the 540i's 4.4L/282-hp V-8. A version with the 3.0L inline-six won't be offered in North America, and an M6 reamains questionable because the low-volume 5.0L/400-hp V-8's production is devoted to the M5 Sedan and the ultra-rare Z8. Expect transmission choices for the 640 CSi to include a six-speed manual, five-speed SMG (steering-wheel mounted), and a five-speed steptronic.

THe 640 CSi's interior will feature 2+2 seating, with an emphasis on personal luxury. Expect a full complement of infotainmen, safety, and comfort features to be pioneeredthe next 7 Series, including the iDrive controls for interior functions shown on the Z9 concept car.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 07:28 PM   #4
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

VERY, very nice.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

There's pic too, but I can't scan em' very well (Magazine folds and whathaveyou.) It looks like a Lexus Sc430 but BMW (Cabrio, E64) and the cuope looks sort of like a Lexus Sc also. The ///M6 has the Original X5 rims and features the new 04' 5 Series Styling supposedly and it has Gullwing Doors off of the Z9.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
I'd've
Quote:
Old 06-14-2001, 01:21 AM   #6
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Interesting how you say that a BMW and Lexus look alike in this case... Who else agrees with me that Lexus is lifting far too much european styling? Sure they are wonderful new cars, and I would be more than satisfied with one, but it just seems that the japanese are trying to become something they are not. And it's not just the cars themselves; take a look at that new SC430 television commercial--all in french?
Old 06-17-2001, 05:53 PM   #7
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Maybe they're trying to appeal to a European market. I kinda like the SC 430 but, I'm not particularly fond of the LS 430.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
I'd've
Quote:
Old 12-24-2001, 11:37 AM   #8
Da Hawxxx
AF Enthusiast

AutoExpress.co.uk

The big BMW coupé is about to bite back. Two years after the demise of the 8-Series and more than a decade after production of the 6-Series ended, there's a new two-door contender – the German firm's next-generation 6-Series.
This amazing image of the car has been penned from two exclusive spyshots featured in the current issue of Auto Express magazine. Despite the black paintwork and darkness in the spyshots, it's easy to make out the styling of what promises to be one of the most desirable luxury coupés around.

Using a short-wheelbase version of the forthcoming 5-Series platform, the all-new 6 has been heavily influenced by the Z9 concept that first signalled BMW's future intentions. However, that car's radical lines, designed by Dutchman Adrian van Hooydonk, were deemed too excessive by company bosses. Instead a toned-down version featuring the trademark twin-lamp headlights, kidney-shaped grille and the controversial bootlid from the new 7-Series will appear.

One of the main criticisms of the old 8-Series was that it was too heavy to be a sporting grand tourer. An improved power-to-weight ratio, plus the engines used in the latest 5 and 7-Series ranges, will rectify this. And insiders say the lightweight materials used on BMW's Z8 will also feature on the 6-Series.

The entry-level car should appear at the end of 2003, with the more extravagant versions debuting later. A cabriolet will target the Jaguar XK8 drop-top and Mercedes SL and, if reaction to the initial cars is good, an M-powered flagship will also be introduced.

Using the same powerplant as the M5, the car will evoke memories of the M635CSi, last seen in the Eighties, and provide owners of performance 3-Series coupés with a model to aspire to.

Inside, the iDrive command system from the 7-Series will be fitted, and a Mercedes SL-style folding roof is set to feature on the cabrio. The M3's SMG gearbox is also a possibility. Buyers can expect to pay around £50,000 for the basic car, with the drop-top and M versions costing up to £20,000 more.
Da Hawxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 11:49 AM   #9
Da Hawxxx
AF Enthusiast

newer articles in dutch magazines and british Car says the 6 will showcase BMW's EHB, electric-hydraulic braking system. the car will be launched as the 635Ci and 645Ci, powered by 272 and 333bhp V8
s. Entry level 231bhp 630Ci well go on sale late 2003. The M6 will be powered by a 500bhp 5litre V10 ( wich shares some DNA with the F-1 engine )as says by insiders.... Convertible will het softtop instead of slk style roof.
Old 12-25-2001, 05:30 AM   #10
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Much thanks for the update. Glad to know some are still paying attention.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:03 AM   #11
jslone
AF Regular

First of all I am a new member here.I have some info that might help Morpheus.The info I got is from bmw2002.co.uk.Click on the news icon and follow it down.They even have a M6 coming out but I have not seen the pics yet but they say it is somewhat based on the current M5 platform and might use some of the same engine parts.Some people say that it looks like the Z9,but let me know what you think.
jslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:15 AM   #12
Da Hawxxx
AF Enthusiast

I doubt that it's based on the current M5 platform... read my previous reply
Old 01-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #13
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Welcome to AF, jslone. Thanks for the information!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series