Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Just purchased project 6 series...

Ok, before you read this, remember one thing: this 1976 630CS was bought off of Ebay for $200. Yes, two hundred dollars. Condition of the car reflects that, and was part of the reason for purchase. Restorers would have scrapped it as not worth spending the money on, as it would cost more to restore it to original condition than it would be to buy a couple 6 series cars in good condition already.

The car was purchased to be a track car/custom street terror, and as such has zero intentions of bringing it back to anywhere near stock specs.

Pictures make it look better than it is, as there is rust in both rocker panels, the floorboards, all 4 fenders and around the front strut mounts on the driver's side.

The interior is shot. The dash is cracked, the carpets stained heavily, and the seats are tore up pretty bad. But being originally a German model (it was one of the first couple hundred 6 series cars built by Karmann Coachwerkes: #275 off the line) and not destined for US shores, all instruments are in German

The engine currently in it is an older Ford 3 liter 6 cyl, with a 3 sp manual transmission w/overdrive. It was probably installed there very early in the car's life, as a way to get it certified in the US (it was obviously a grey market car). Since the Ford I6 has about the same hp as the original carburated 3 liter BMW engine (which itself was rated at 135 hp) it probably didn't drive much different than stock. The engine compartment was hacked up slightly to do the conversion (the radiator mounting is horrible). This engine has to go away!

This car was purchased to make a hot rod track car out of. Not a drag racer, but an E-mod autocrosser and open track day challenger. And it is supposed to be done on a VERY tiny budget (as it witnessed by the $200 purchase price). I have ZERO intention of spending $10k, $15k, $30k etc on JUST the engine on it, so high hp BMW 6 cyls are out. A V12 might be nice, but they tend to cost too much also, and only make 300 hp in stock form (and weigh more than a big block domestic engine). If someone wants me to put a BMW engine back in this car, they need to cough up the cash to pay for it.

The concept is to use an engine I built for an autocross/track day Fox Mustang: a 600 hp/700 lb ft of torque 460cid Ford big block. Weighs less than teh V12, and only barely more than the 3.5 liter 6 cyl in the M6. With aluminum heads and intake manifold, it will weigh a little less than teh 3.5 liter M6 engine, and be set back farther for better balance. Cost of the engine is under $2500. Serious.

The Fox Mustang I built with the same engine pulled over 1G laterally and was an autocross/open track car, not a drag racer. But it was still VERY quick on the strip... The 6 series should be equaly up to the task, with better suspension and brakes, stock, even though it's a bit heavier.

The interior has to be gutted (though maybe a thin layer of carpet may go back in to make it liveable on the street). The fenders will be flared like an E30 M3 or 850i, as that along with the rocker extensions, will fix most of the major rust on the body. I did a quick photoshop of the flares on the white body (and added Fikse wheels...), and then in flat black because someone on another board asked what it would look like as a mean hot rod... The actual paint color is going to be a very dark blue/black.

This car will probably piss off purists. But purists aren't paying for it, and wouldn't have rebuilt the car as it sat anyway.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Celsdogg
AF Regular

thats a cool project car, dont forget to show it here when your done!
2008 Toyota Sienna LE

Retired:
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL
1991 BMW E30 325i
2001 Honda Odyssey EX
Celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
ugly kid jon
AF Enthusiast

Too expensive to restore?!?!?! What country are you in?
ugly kid jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
Originally posted by ugly kid jon
Too expensive to restore?!?!?! What country are you in?
Baltimore is in Maryland which is in the United States....I would imagine a car like this would be expensive to restore.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
ugly kid jon
AF Enthusiast

Ray, it's not more expensive than other classic cars, it is a challenge though because you have to go on a treashure hunt for the cheaper parts.

Chris, can I buy the car if you give up? I'll give you $500. I'd like a shot at restoring it.
ugly kid jon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series