Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Which Engine is the better for Forced Induction??
D15 5 4.39%
B16A 13 11.40%
D17A 0 0%
B18B 45 39.47%
B18C1 27 23.68%
B18C5 12 10.53%
H22A 12 10.53%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #16
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Alright ppl......just to clarify something.....I AM NOT AN IDIOT.... I mean really, in most cases I know what I'm talking about. With that out of the way, I move to my next topic of discussion.....How much of an idiot Boosted331 thinks, not only me but everyone else replying to this thread, is. Ok, my SISTER knows that a Stock B18C5 will not run 12 psi on pump gas, Boosted331 is thereby considered an idiot.

lol, sure thing bub. I've seen it done, i've driven ITRs running 12 PSI, and it works just fine.

Secondly with a swapped head as the only other internal mod, there is not a chance in hell that the B18C1 GSR motor will get 300 Wheel HorsePower from 12 psi, Boosted331 is again considered, in my book, an idiot.

Yep, i'm an idiot. You got me there, there isn't a chance in hell a stock GSR with a turbo will make 300 WHP on 12 psi This coming from a guy who wanted to trade his bimmer for a civic

The GSR from InlinePro used their headgasket, yes, but they also souped the living shit out of that B18C1, with some major mods done to almost every part of every part of the GSR internals, therefore I will still reside to say that Boosted331 is, well, an idiot.

lol, ok. Guy who owns the car is named Karl, he works for jinxproof tattoos in DC. The car went 10.70's on 22-24 pounds of boost on the stock sleeves, pistons, rods, crank, rock stock bottom end, and it went 10.40's with a small shot of nitrous before the bottom end gave up. He has a built motor in it now, but it did go high 10's on stock motor.

Ah also on the topic of InlinePro heads, There is also no way that the engine would reach 2000 rpm's without being tore all to hell running 20 POUNDS OF BOOST THROUGH A STOCK GSR BLOCK, ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must agree with pwman, you sir ARE, in fact, a MORON.

This shows how smart you are I was talking about inline pro head GASKETS not cylinder heads. Stock GSR block with inline pro gasket and C16 has run 20 pounds of boost, that's a proven fact, shut your mouth.

Another thing, I know that a non-VTEC engine will handle more on the stock internals and that LS DOES have better gearing. To say that a GSR or ITR Stock Motor would respond better is an utter diss to the Honda God (Not Sure who that is, but there are a few folks that come to mind, and You sir are NOT one of them.)

Yeah, sorry, but no. Show me some results that an LS motor will make more power than a GSR or ITR. What does the LS have in it's favour? It has less compression, a worse flowing head, weaker internals, lower lift and duration cams, a tranny that is NOT geared well for a turbo (despite what you idiots think) and the motor is not balanced as precisely as a GSR or ITR motor is. It's a fact. B18C's make more power per pound of boost than LS motors do.

And now I will move forward to my final topic of discussion this evening and this pertains to your 4th defense of your stupidity, we are not concerning ourselves with any such company as, THE FORBIDDEN........D....S..........M!!!!!!!!!:banhim : (I'm sorry, but for example's sake I just had to say it.)nor are we talking about 3rd gen RX-7's, we ARE in the HONDA/ACURA forum and you, sir, have sinned against the Honda God for presenting a defense for the forbidden company, and must repent of your sinful nature. We're not talking about mazda, nor, well, you know, the other company.... anyways the other part of this defense is another reason why a NON-VTEC motor IS better for turbo, without V-TEC, and the longer gearing, that gives the turbo more time to spool plus you get a much longer boost then you would with a GSR or ITR tranny. Instead of comparing LS, D...S.........you know the last letter, and an RX-7, try comparing a Type-R, a GSR, and then an LS, I, then must concur with my previous statements and the opinion of pwman, and I am hereby resting my case that you sir ARE, as a proven fact, A MORON.

The guy wanted me to compare the gearing of the LS/GSR tranny to the gearing of other turbo cars. If you would pull your dumb head out of your ass for a second you would have read the post before making a stupid comment.
boosted331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #17
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Wow, I just noticed what a tool you are. First post you say you think the C5 is the best, then when that other tool says B18B you jump all over his dick to try and agree with him.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #18
afroeman
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to afroeman Send a message via Yahoo to afroeman
Sorry, I'm not the one driving a fucking mustang on the Honda/Acura forum!!! And I never said that the LS would make more power, I said that the engine is better suited for it stock than a GSR/ITR. The lower compression ratio allows more pressure from the turbo thereby allowing more boost than that of a GSR/ITR, the longer gearing is better because again the Turbo has more time throughout the entire gear to push pressure. Yes it does have weaker internals, yes it does have lower lift and duration cams, and no it is not as finetuned as the GSR/ITR engine's are, and yes the ITR's and GSR's do produce more power per psi but with the LS able to run more than both engine's it provides a sufficient make-up for the difference. One other thing, The civic I was thinking about trading my bimmer for was running 10.9 quarter's on the B18C5 motor block, pushing 14 psi because that engine wasn't built to go much higher, and it wasn't running ten's with just Head Gaskets as the other mod.
afroeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #19
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

For some reason BOOSTED331 can't get past the fact that we are talking about a completely stock engine(that means no head gasket) and pump gas(not C16).
So if a B18C5 can boost 12 PSI with it's compression(is that without a head gasket BTW?) and a C1 can handle 24 PSI with nitrous, I think it's safe to say the B18B1 can handle 20 PSI with a head gasket easily given some play because of it's weaker internals. So a C5 is boosting 12, B1 is boosting 20, they are going to make about the same HP, but the B1 will have more torque. So therefore the B1 is better stock for stock. Torque is king of the street.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:38 PM   #20
afroeman
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to afroeman Send a message via Yahoo to afroeman
Re: Which Engine for Forced Induction??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
For some reason BOOSTED331 can't get past the fact that we are talking about a completely stock engine(that means no head gasket) and pump gas(not C16).
So if a B18C5 can boost 12 PSI with it's compression(is that without a head gasket BTW?) and a C1 can handle 24 PSI with nitrous, I think it's safe to say the B18B1 can handle 20 PSI with a head gasket easily given some play because of it's weaker internals. So a C5 is boosting 12, B1 is boosting 20, they are going to make about the same HP, but the B1 will have more torque. So therefore the B1 is better stock for stock. Torque is king of the street.
afroeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 01:45 AM   #21
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
You stated it perfactly. Also, as you said, Low end Torque is king of the streets. That being said, the LS hits it's peak torque roughly 1000 rpm sooner than the GSR. Also hitting it much earlier than the ITR. Horsepower is a product of (roughly, I am remebering this formula from memory) torque x rpm/5252. That being said, of course a higher spooling motor will make more power. That is why the B16A, for example, has more peak HP than the LS. Cuz it spools higher. But the LS motors superior torque will be missed much more on the streets than the extra 18 hp. Even boosted, you'd miss the extra torque of the LS much more than you would the extra hp at the high rpm's of the high reving B16A. Also, as PWMAN stated eariler, one of the reasons the non-vtec is better than the vtec is the overlap. The High overlap of the vtec cams ins't exactly the most freindly turbo set-up. The overlap makes it hard for the turbo to spool at higher rpm's. If you don't agree with this, talk to the big honda engine builders, like JG engine dymanics. They'll echo the same statement about overlap. Sure, it CAN be done, building a good GSR or ITR turbo motor. But that is talking about major work, intrernal mods, closing a deck, re-working the quench area for more complete combustion, etc, besides your typicla turbo mods like the turbo, injectros, FMU, fuel-pump, etc. That clearly is NOT on stock internals, block, etc. Stock the Stock, the LS can be boosted more, and is better suited for such.Thisis partically due to the very 9.2:1 c/r you seem so intent on bashing. It's well known, boosting a high comperssion motor results in ping and engine knock. Read up, thats why, whenever these motor's are used, usually you seem lower c/r pistoms put in. A lower c/r on a boosted enigne = less ping and knock.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:52 AM   #22
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

WTF? Why are people voting for the H22? Shows how much they know
Old 08-17-2003, 09:09 PM   #23
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg

Quote:
WTF? Why are people voting for the H22? Shows how much they know
Exactly as I posted on the first page. I don't understand what makes ppl think that the H22A is a good motor to boost
Old 08-18-2003, 12:30 AM   #24
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Which Engine for Forced Induction??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtteg
Exactly as I posted on the first page. I don't understand what makes ppl think that the H22A is a good motor to boost
I agree. It probably has something to do with them knowing nothing about the engines, just thinking..."ohh...H22A, 2.2 liters, vtec, 195 HP to start....what a great engine to boost. That 2.2 liters makes it # 1 for sure, we all know there's no replacement for displacement.".....thats about the only reason I can think of why people think its a great motor to boost. Misinformed, and making stupid opinions as a result. If they actually did research, they'd figure out the LS is much better.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #25
turbomaniac
AF Newbie

people lets get one thing straight. the ls tranny is not the best tranny for turbo it is the gsr tranny and reason being ls tranny is too long and even if you are running considerable amount of boost it takes alot longer to achieve that power. the si or type r tranny are better for na because of there shorter ratios. gsr is perfectly balanced and is the best tranny. a gsr motor with a gsr tranny at 10 psi of boost is quicker than a gsr motor with an ls tranny at 10 psi of boost.
turbomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:19 PM   #26
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

For N/A the GSR tranny is better, for turbo apps the LS tranny is better.

BTW, 1st and second gear are the same in both trannies, so launch isn't going to be affected that much. The final drive is like .2 longer in the LS, which doesn't make that much difference.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #27
turbomaniac
AF Newbie

the 1st and 2nd gear are the same on the gsr and ls but 3rd, 4th and 5th are different and so is the final as you said. gsr works best for turbo applications because ls ratios are way too long even for the track, not many drag cars use the ls tranny and not many street cars either atleast around texas and other states in this area use the ls tranny, it is either the si tranny or the type r tranny or the best tranny ever built by honda the gsr.
turbomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:15 PM   #28
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Why would the GSR tranny be better?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #29
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Why would the GSR tranny be better?
You get out of the hole quicker, when you shift you get back into boost quicker because of the tighter gears and higher FD, and the shorter 5th gear lets you make highway pulls without waiting for forever for the car to start spooling the turbo.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #30
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which Engine for Forced Induction??

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted331
You get out of the hole quicker, when you shift you get back into boost quicker because of the tighter gears and higher FD, and the shorter 5th gear lets you make highway pulls without waiting for forever for the car to start spooling the turbo.
No, sorry-wrong wording - I meant Why would the GSR be better than the type R?