Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
Kaji
AF Newbie

Cherokee Problems. Starts, not a key issue, but won't run occasionally.

I looked for another message before I posted this one, but several different topics relating to my problem did not have the same issues.

This is extremely important to me, since this is my only mode of transportation, and I am a single mother and have no time to take off work. (until after the first of the year)

The problem: I try to start my cherokee, and it turns over, several times, and acts like it wants to start up. If I give it gas and continue to hold down on the gas, the cherokee will run. But the moment I let off the gas, it dies immediately. The vehicle doesn't shake violently or such, just almost as if it is not getting enough gas. When I step outside of the vehicle you can smell gas fumes (not leaking, but you can smell it)

I can let off the key when I have it started, and even when I give it gas, I am not holding down the key to keep it running. Just the gas petal.

The odd part is, that sometimes it will start right on up, then recently it has been doing this. (ie it started up fine last night several times, but today it did this again, then just a hour ago I was able to get it running without holding the gas down.)

My question is, if it does this in the morning, when I have to go to work, will it hurt the engine if I continously hold down the gas to keep it running? Secondly, could this be a problem with the fuel filter? The battery is fine, I had my boyfriend jump start the vehicle and still would not crank, so I know its not a dead battery.

Any help would graciously be appreciated.
Kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
EZ1908
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to EZ1908 Send a message via Yahoo to EZ1908
Re: Cherokee problems

Try this......if your Cherokee is fuel injected, replace the idle air control valve, located on the front of the throttle body (it'll be the switch on the left). This little thing gave me the same problems, and replacing this solved them.
EZ1908 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee