Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
erikj
AF Newbie

Angry 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is STALLING

My 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is intermittently stalling, and I cannot find any kind of pattern whatsoever. It's a dangerous condition and it's incredibly frustrating.

My dealer has told me there is no flash for this, yet I have heard otherwise in a couple threads online.

Does anyone know if there is in fact a flash for this stalling issue? Or, does anyone have any info on the condition itself?

Any info much appreciated!!!!

erik
erikj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
sweettam_2002
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is STALLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikj
My 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is intermittently stalling, and I cannot find any kind of pattern whatsoever. It's a dangerous condition and it's incredibly frustrating.

My dealer has told me there is no flash for this, yet I have heard otherwise in a couple threads online.

Does anyone know if there is in fact a flash for this stalling issue? Or, does anyone have any info on the condition itself?

Any info much appreciated!!!!

erik
My husband has the same truck and we are having the same problem. The truck keeps stalling when he is driving down the road. This is a VERY dangerous situation due to the fact that he drives in very heavy traffic. We have had this truck back to the dealership 12 times. They cannot seem to find the problem, nor does it show up when they connect it to the computer. We found out today that there is 2 other trucks doing the same thing in our area. They do not know why or how to fix it. I would appreciate it if you find out any information to let me know.
Thanks a bunch
Tammy
sweettam_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
erikj
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is STALLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettam_2002
My husband has the same truck and we are having the same problem. The truck keeps stalling when he is driving down the road. This is a VERY dangerous situation due to the fact that he drives in very heavy traffic. We have had this truck back to the dealership 12 times. They cannot seem to find the problem, nor does it show up when they connect it to the computer. We found out today that there is 2 other trucks doing the same thing in our area. They do not know why or how to fix it. I would appreciate it if you find out any information to let me know.
Thanks a bunch
Tammy
Well, here's what I know right now: Friday, my dealer will be installing a jumper harness for the ABS Controller, which they say has some moisture in it. They believe this is the issue, and although I agree the moisture is definitely a reason for the ABS to not be working, I am skeptical as to this being the cause for the intermittent stalling.

Another person from another forum has told me his stalling issues were solved by getting the computer flash for TSB 18-002-04. My dealer will not do any flashes for some reason. We'll see what happens Friday.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

You're right, the ABS controller has nothing to do w/ the stalling; have them check the TSB, I'll do the same myself when I go to work today.
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
motomotoman
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab and it was doing the same thing. I would come to a light and it would stall, slow down to turn through an intersection and it would stall. To make a long story short - It was at the dealership 6 times they could not find anything wrong with it - they changed sensors, seals in the transmission and adjusted the idle - still doing the same thing. They flew in a rep. from Dodge he took it for a drive and it stalled on him - he says its something with the torque converter. They put a brand new transmission and transfer case and I have not had a problem yet. I hope this helps you.
motomotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
richardtorr
AF Newbie

Thumbs down

Folks my truck is only a month old. It is at the dealer right now. They have had it for over a week and the scoop is that Detroit is still trying to write a new program to fix problem may take another week or two or.... Same problems you've stated. It's not leaving until its right or I get another. I hope they like paying for the rental.
richardtorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
erikj
AF Newbie

Damn - I can't believe these problems are still around in the 05's. I guess the problems all may have similar symptoms, but may be caused by different things.

In my case, the stalling was happening at idle - dreaded the traffic lights and stop signs. Just before it got fixed, it was doing other weird things like the speedo was very erratic - also at idle. Also, the "dead pedal" syndrome was killing me. Give her gas, and after a huge wait, she goes.

Anyway, the dealer installs a jumper harness to fix the wet ABS controller issue, and while I bring it in, I give them a print-out of TSB 18-002-04, and tell them I spoke with a number of people with the "exact same issues, same mfr date, etc". Not sure if they had originally planned to do so, but they replaced the PCM at the same time.

I have my truck back and it's running like a champ. No stalling (knock on wood), no hesitation on the pedal, and the speedo is tame. Everything looks solid. I like my truck again.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
h-d
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is STALLING

I have a 2005 Durango, and had it in the shop on Monday and had it back today. The Dealer states they never heard of this problem.

Talked to the dealership where I originally purchased it and they are going to look at it next Monday. I haven’t taken it there yet because this other one is closer.

Its like they don’t believe me or something. I can’t believe they would give it back without finding the problem. I guess they don’t get paid too much for doing warranty work so they don’t care. What ever happened to the days where a mechanic knew tips and tricks and didn’t rely on only diagnostics to give them all of the answers?

I figure every time it stalls I will take it back to them.

By the way has anyone had their 2005 Hemi Stalling problem fixed?
h-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
erikj
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI is STALLING

Um, the message before yours where I state my stalling issue was fixed. New PCM did it for me.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
mikaSA120
AF Newbie

ABS module or anything in wiring can cause stalling problem.Same new el.transsmisions will cause stalling.
We talking on 7-12 modules connected in network over a
BUS ,what sharing info & sensors.And software too.You
have to understand its more complicated to fix this cars.
mikaSA120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

Who ever said ABS has nothing to do with stalling is out to Lunch i repaired 4 HEMI's stalling in a week and all were wet or corroded connectors at ABS module pulling the BUS down or not giving speed sensor input to PCM causing a stalling issue
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #12
southernchopper
AF Newbie

stalling

My o4 was stalling. I found about a flash the dealer can do but you basically have to tell them when you have it in tow haul mode and it is searching for gears. The flash is great. It helps in the the throttle response and cuts out the stalling.-
southernchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
h-d
AF Newbie

I now have 2700 miles on my defective Durango, it and it has stalled no less than a dozen times. Took it back to a different dealership this time to have the recalled fuel tank replaced and had them try to check it for stalling. I told them they could keep it for a few days and drive it around as much as they would like.

They replaced the fuel tank and stated they could not find any problem with it stalling. However they had no problem telling me it was due for an oil change. Oil change how about an engine change instead? Anyway I left the dealership and stopped at the gas station 2 miles down the road. As I pulled into the gas station it happened again ***stall*** . No check engine light, no oil pressure warning, only a stalled engine and an rpm gauge at 0 RPM’s. I was hoping that the fuel tank swap out was a way for them to fix the stalling problem (guess not).

My wife called the dealership and spoke to the general manager as we sat that the gas station. I wanted to have someone from the dealership come down and hookup the stupid diagnostics machine . But there was no mechanics on the premises (serves me right for picking it up at night). He mentioned that they can use a “co-pilot” and it may pick up the problem. So my wife is on a mission tomorrow to have the “co-pilot” installed. I will keep you updated.

I am going to file a complaint if this does not work.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
h-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #14
erikj
AF Newbie

I feel your pain. I had had enough with Dodge by the time my truck was fixed. Too bad. Poor quality, poor service. All around a poor purchase on my part.

I took the hit and dumped the truck for a Toyota, and couldn't be happier. This is not a poke at all you guys running Dodges, but I had such a bad experience with mine, and the dealerships I went to to get it fixed. What a sham.

So, got rid of the truck, which was averaging 13 mpg, and bought a brand new Toyota Corolla S for $15K. Less than half the price of the truck, but ten times the dependability, and a lot of added peace of mind.

Practicality wins the day!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10