Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #31
Chris1046
AF Newbie

Wink

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones, I have owned my Colorado since 12-31-03 it has over 15,000 miles on it and not one problem at all. I have a Reg. cab 4 wheel drive z71 ls

My only complaint is with the design of the doors you can not open the passsenger side from the outside if it is locked. It would be nice to be able to unlock the door with key instead of opening the drivers door reaching across the seat unlocking the door going back out and putting groceries back in from the passenger side.
Chris1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #32
indysmith
AF Newbie

Re: Chevy Colorado Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1046
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones, I have owned my Colorado since 12-31-03 it has over 15,000 miles on it and not one problem at all. I have a Reg. cab 4 wheel drive z71 ls

My only complaint is with the design of the doors you can not open the passsenger side from the outside if it is locked. It would be nice to be able to unlock the door with key instead of opening the drivers door reaching across the seat unlocking the door going back out and putting groceries back in from the passenger side.
From what I have heard the vibration occurs only on the Reg. Cab 2 Wheel Drive models. I agree with you that the door design is a real hassle. I think they like us to be frustrated so we will buy the extra options like power door locks and keyless entry.
indysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #33
BarneyBlue
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Chevy Colorado Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysmith
From what I have heard the vibration occurs only on the Reg. Cab 2 Wheel Drive models. I agree with you that the door design is a real hassle. I think they like us to be frustrated so we will buy the extra options like power door locks and keyless entry.
Actually I have a 2004 Colorado 4WD Ext Cab and my truck shakes when I'm going 30MPH and then again at about 50 - 60MPH. It's very annoying and the dealer has given me a new set of tires and rebalanced my tires twice. I'm really getting frustrated. What is the most effective number to contact Chevy's customer service? Thanks.
BarneyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #34
BarneyBlue
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibb
I had the same problem with my Colorado. After 3 trips to the dealer, they finally replaced the drive shaft and all vibaration is gone. The original drive shaft was out of round.
How do you get them to replace the drive shaft? I had my truck back four times and every time they either re-balanced the tires or once they gave me four new tires. They claim that the other Colorados shake. My Colorado is a 2004 Ext Cab 4WD 5 cylinder automatic. It shakes at different speeds but especially at 30 MPH and again at 55 - 60 MPH. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #35
benandkimp
AF Newbie

The Chevy number is 1-800-222-1020~~ call them ASAP. Get a service number from them.

We have a crew cab, and GM has told us we are SOL, until we really pushed them into our other options. On a side note, keep all your invoices, lemon law says 3 failed attempts to fix or 30 days ...... we have hit that and sent our lemon law letter... will keep you updated.
benandkimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #36
BarneyBlue
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandkimp
The Chevy number is 1-800-222-1020~~ call them ASAP. Get a service number from them.

We have a crew cab, and GM has told us we are SOL, until we really pushed them into our other options. On a side note, keep all your invoices, lemon law says 3 failed attempts to fix or 30 days ...... we have hit that and sent our lemon law letter... will keep you updated.
Thank you very much for your input. I am going to try the dealer one more time with this new information about the driveshaft. If I don't get satisfaction, I will start the Lemon Law procedure. I've already registered a complaint with the NHTSA. I hope Chevy doesn't let me down. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 PM   #37
BarneyBlue
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyBlue
Thank you very much for your input. I am going to try the dealer one more time with this new information about the driveshaft. If I don't get satisfaction, I will start the Lemon Law procedure. I've already registered a complaint with the NHTSA. I hope Chevy doesn't let me down. Thanks again.
Just an added note: I requested an appointment at my dealer to check the drive shaft. They had it all of half an hour including a test drive and a visual of the drive shaft. They found nothing. Still vibrates. They did give me a bulletin that stated "Vibration at all speeds; Damaged Transmission Tailshaft Bushing; Cracked Exhaust at Catalytic Converter - dw 2.8 3.5 4L60E broken crack GMT355 leak L52 noise pipe propshaft shake seal short #PIP3197 - (Oct 19, 2004). Apparently the propshaft is too short on some models. This appears to be only for 2WD regular cabs. Since mine is a 4WD ext. cab, the dealer was not concerned about it. I called Chevrolet today and filed a complaint and got a service number. Anybody else making progress? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 AM   #38
MadMac56
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like Colorado is a good one...to NOT buy...
MadMac56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #39
mhinkley
AF Newbie

Quote:
I have a 4WD Regular cab and have the same vibration. GM doesn't care. All of my previous vehicles (7 of them) were GM's but I guarantee you this will be the LAST!
They humor you with their customer care line and then wonder why they aren't moving any vehicles off of their lots.
mhinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 AM   #40
mklimcza
AF Newbie

colorado vibration

I've changed tires at my own expense. I've had the truckin 5 or 6 times. The wheels have been balanced and rebalanced, i've complained to every 800 number person and 2 dealerships. The truck shakes and is miserable to drive. No one can fix it.
mklimcza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:42 PM   #41
mklimcza
AF Newbie

Quote:
I took mine to the dealer the second time for vibration, along with a printout of this thread. They decided to take a look at the driveshaft and called me to say "It really is the driveshaft!". They ordered a new driveshaft but said it is on a national backorder. I suggest anyone with a regular cab Colorado to print out this thread and give it to the service manager and get your truck fixed. If they still don't want to check out the driveshaft, there is always the customer satisfaction survey they send you that gets their attention.
I don't know if anyone out there is reading this website anymore however I took the printout to daler and had them switch driveshafts with a truck on the lot. It did not improve the vibration at all. I guess they and Gm customer assistance are at the end of the line . They dpon't know what to do to make it stop vibrating. I have new tires put on, balanced over and over again, alignment and a driveshaft switch. Still miserable to drive. Really a shame I love the truck other than the vibration. I guess dealer and I are at a point of buy back or lemon law or somethng. By the way mine is a 4 cylinder extend cab so the vibration is not model selective.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 PM   #42
benandkimp
AF Newbie

Well, in our case nothing helped until we sent the lemon law letter. Then suddenly GM was singing a different tune.

We went through the Better Business Bureau, which is free (www.bbb.com) rahter than thru an attorney. In that case, you go thru arbitration. The process is simple & easy. Ours never got far, as GM rather quickly offered us a new vehicle - and we picked a Silverado as we were afraid of the Colorados.

We also went through a different dealership, as the one we bought from gave us nothing but grief.

We test drove new trucks at a 3rd dealership who told us "off the record" that there is a bunch of Colorados that vibrate & GM hasnt got a clue why, nor do they know how to fix them. That either the truck is great or it vibrates.

If anyone is interested in details, send us a message & we will be happy to help!
benandkimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:48 PM   #43
mklimcza
AF Newbie

I am in the process of trying to get GM take the truck back. I've forwarded letters and records to a lawyer for review and I am still waiting for some factory district rep to contact me. Everyone else has like thrown up their arms and gave up. Please forward any detalis information that may help
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #44
Crazy D
AF Newbie

Sup!!!

what is up everyone! I was lookin on the web for pics of a colorado with 20's on it cus thats what im wanting for my reg cab z85 2004 colorado and i wanted to check out how the 20's looked on colorado such as mine. Yo i love the colorado and to tell u the truth i have noticed that when no one is in the passanger seat it rattles. I really didnt think to much of it but when someone is sitting there and they r talkin, u can hear the rattle in the voice of my passanger. So i guess that aint normal huh. i aslo noticed i have to take turns slowly so i wont skid off of the road but that may be my fault for burning out the tread on my tires. Ne ways im going to go for a drive and check out the vibration and see if it is bad as everyone says it is. Yo i love the colorado and i have big plans for it, now i need to decide if its worth taking it in to a dealership for a check. im not very mechanically inclined so if ne one thinks that i should IMMEDIATLEY take my colorado to the dealership for safty reasons or w/e let me know. I gladly take the advice from ne one who offers.

Peace,
Crazy D
Crazy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #45
sperret
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity04
I purchased a Chevy Colorado Truck, 5 Cylinder engine. It has about 250 miles. At around 50 mph, I notice a vibration. It feels like the wheels are not balanced. I'm getting the wheels checked out tomorrow at the Chevy garage. If it's not the wheels being out of balance, does anyone have any ideas what else this could be? Thanks.
21 June 2007, how are the vibration problems now, mine still seems to vibrate after many trips to the dealer they now have installed 2 new tires, 2wd club cab sport seems also to have high fuel consumption, 13,000 kms my passenger seat rattles as well, Steve
sperret is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical