Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Venzo280
AF Newbie

Smile First car under 10k

Hey everybody, I'm new . So when i turn 15, im gonna get my learners permit, and you know ehat that means! So I want a car thats fast in a straight line, handling doesnt matter that much to me because everything is flat here, it should get around 20mpg, it should be ok with reliability, I dont mind having to fix the occasional broken part, and it should be under 10k. The only racing this car will do, if at all is drag racing and the occasional street battle. And i know what you're all saying, but you guys do it too, so stop lying. So off topic, anyway, now you know what im looking for in a car. Import or muscle doesnt metter to me, so long as it fits the above requirements. I was looking at mustangs, teggys, camaros, fiestas , e30s, pretty much open to everything. Thx for the help guys, hope you can find me a good car. Thx again.
Venzo280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: First car under 10k

At your age you do not need a fast car. A fast car in the hands of a young driver is a recipe for disaster.

I had a relatively slow car at 18 and still almost managed to kill myself. I ripped the car in half.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Venzo280
AF Newbie

Yeah I know. I probably dont want something with a v8 or anything that powerful , just something fun and customizable that has a decent bit of power, and something I can occasionaly take to the drag strip once I get older, since I am going to have this car for a while. Also how did you manage to rip the car in half and what car was it? BTW sweet stealth
Old 07-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Venzo280
AF Newbie

Also I forgot to mention, I have a thing for older cars
Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
MikeCStig
AF Regular

I wouldn't recommend anything too fast as a first car. Something with a bit of pep, maybe, but put the thought of muscle cars out of your head for now. They're fast in a straight line, but going around corners at any kind of speed will result in a crash.

With used cars 10k leaves you with many options, here are some:
Acura Integra GS-R- (185 hp) or type-r (200 hp) front wheel drive
Ford Focus RS (210 hp) or ST (250 hp)
Chevy Cobalt SS (205 hp in '05-'07 models, 260 hp in '08-'10 models) FWD
Honda Civic Si ('07-'10 models 197 hp) FWd
Honda Prelude Si ('97-01 models 200 hp) or SI-r (220 hp) both FWD
Mazda RX-8 (210 hp or a special edition with 260 hp
Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-t (210 hp turbo FWD) or GSX (210 HP AWD)
Subaru WRX (~250 hp AWD) Avoid the STi it's a bit too powerful for a new driver.
Volkswagen GTI (from '06 on 200 hp FWD)

This list should give you a good start on your search. All these cars are all good first cars, and if you look hard enough, can be found for under 10k. Theyre Fun to drive, they all pack a bit of a punch, but without going overboard and killing
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCStig For This Useful Post:
Venzo280 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Venzo280
AF Newbie

Yeah, I dont want to be the next Nikki Catsouras. I think I can probably handle around 250 hp, because I started shifting my Uncles civic for him at age 11, and i started learning how to drive at 13. So I already have some experience. Also, I wont do any racing for the firs year or two, just learn the car. So , I think I can handle around 250-300hp. Also, I generally dont fool around on the road, and I hate doing anything other than driving when behind the wheel, so I dont like being distracted, and I am not much of a show off. So could you give me some feedback based on this? Thx
Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Venzo280
AF Newbie

So, any other cars you reccomend? Also, what year of focus, because the new ones are much more expensive.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Tracer999
AF Newbie

Hello. My first car gave me father when i was 18 years. It was an old Huindai. To be honest, I liked the gift not very much, because it was old and cheap car. Moreover, it was bought at auction https://1bid1.com/search?category=1, about which I, at that time, had not very good opinion. But my father said that the first car should be like this - cheap and not new. Now im father for 5 years by myself) son grows up,he is actively interested in cars. And you know, now I'm starting to understand the words of my father about first car. And when the time comes, i will buy first car for my son at auction

Last edited by Tracer999; 09-28-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Removed spam link
Tracer999 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A