Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Janett_vh
AF Newbie

Exclamation 1991 GM Speedometer, tripometer, odometer and cruise quit working.

A little highway onramp speeding caused my Speedometer, tripometer, odometer and cruise control to completely stop funtioning. This happened after some random bouncing by the speedometer. Had a friends mechanic check it out, and heard everything from speed control to speedo cable. I am not letting someone just rip my car apart until they find what is wrong, unless I have no other choice. Anyone have a definate idea of what could stop all this from funtioning. I miss my baby, and that V8 power is a bit much to have without a speedo...
Janett_vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
reekor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1991 GM Speedometer, tripometer, odometer and cruise quit working.

A definate idea lol ? Sounds like a toast VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Your cable could have broke as well and damaged the VSS and or speedo gear on the vss. Your friends mechanic is on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_vh View Post
A little highway onramp speeding caused my Speedometer, tripometer, odometer and cruise control to completely stop funtioning. This happened after some random bouncing by the speedometer. Had a friends mechanic check it out, and heard everything from speed control to speedo cable. I am not letting someone just rip my car apart until they find what is wrong, unless I have no other choice. Anyone have a definate idea of what could stop all this from funtioning. I miss my baby, and that V8 power is a bit much to have without a speedo...

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Janett_vh
AF Newbie

Ty for the info. It is actually fixed and on the road again. I spun the teeth off of the vss gear, simple $2.87 part and a few minutes to put in, thanx to my brother.

p.s. side note. vehicles equipted with a vss should not have a speedometer cable.
Janett_vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
reekor
AF Enthusiast

NP, Not sure about the 91, but the 89 crown vic we had did have a vss and the cable mounted at the end of it. One winter water got in the worn cable and frooze needless to say the next day when the car was moved the froozen cable broke the vss in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_vh View Post
Ty for the info. It is actually fixed and on the road again. I spun the teeth off of the vss gear, simple $2.87 part and a few minutes to put in, thanx to my brother.

p.s. side note. vehicles equipted with a vss should not have a speedometer cable.

His, 96 Limited, 5.2 Magnum, Magnaflow CatBack System, HID Head & Fog Lamps, 242 T-case swapped , Rear Trac-Loc. Chrome grill added to match the wheels.

Hers, 96 Limited I6, 242 T-case, HID Head & Fog Lamps.
reekor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD