Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
djshyc
AF Newbie

Angry AHHG Stupid "mechanic" Brother dumped Gear oil on clutch!

Ok so I had my brother go through my 96 Jetta GL. Yeah he filled all the fluids , Like the "CLUTCH PLATE" Fluid ! Hmm Id say I dont think you pour Gear oil on a Clutch! You do pour it into your manual transmission though!
Okay So Now What? So the clutch is slipping a little bit. Will this go away? Will the stuff just progressively burn or wear off?? Will my Clutch be alright??? Can I spray like brake cleaner on the clucth, from the inspection hole he poured it into in order to get this oil off? ANY SUGGESTIONS beside find a new brother!?
THANKS !!!
djshyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: AHHG Stupid "mechanic" Brother dumped Gear oil on clutch!

You would want to get as much of the oil off the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel as soon as possible. I would think brake cleaner would be a good spray to use. I would consider drilling a hole in the top of the bell housing, if that allows you to spray 'down' onto the clutch mechanism better than the inspection hole - and keep flushing while you rotate the clutch disc. (You do that by being in 4th gear, one wheel jacked up off the ground, and having someone turn the wheel, to rotate the clutch disc). Half a dozen cans of the brake cleaner will be much cheaper than pulling the tranny to get at the clutch. Unfortunately you will also be rinsing some of the lubricant out of the throwout bearing. Thats the reason you cant use oven cleaner instead of brake cleaner.
Its likely that you will eventually have some sticking though. Dont be surprised if its hard to get into gear first thing in the mornings. If its a problem, try putting the clutch pedal down and the tranny into 4th - and then starting it -your other foot on the brake. Also it may get 'grabby' - in which case you would still need to replace the clutch disc and clean off residue. Much would depend on whether you have to drive in traffic a lot, or live in the country.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

Re: AHHG Stupid "mechanic" Brother dumped Gear oil on clutch!

yea, just replace the clutch..
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion