Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Wino
AF Newbie

Question Removing 97 2500 4X4 Front Brake Rotors

I am going to put new brake pads on my 97 Ram 2500 4X4. If it turns out the rotors need replacing or turning will the rotors slip off the axel hub or will it require a lot of work?

Thanks,
Wino
Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
TurboDuck
AF Newbie

They just slide off, but they are a pretty tight fit on the inside. When I did mine, I had a heck of a time with the first one. Then after I discovered how it was on there, I used my torch and heated the other one. Then I tapped it with a hammer, and knocked all the scaly rust out of the inside. After that it came right off.

Good luck.
TurboDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
TurboDuck
AF Newbie

Hey DBFordtech, it appears your last post didn't make it here

You said: "If you are re using the rotor, I dont recommend the
torch. Just use a heavy soft faced mallet and keep
hitting it back and forth until it comes off.
...no offence turboduck, I just dont like to see heat applied to front end or brake parts..."

No offense taken - I diid something like that on the first one, it took me over (2) hours to get it off. When I heated the other one, it was only enough for the rust scales (chunks) to pop loose. (It probably got hotter while it was on the truck - in use.)

I just stuck the tip of my torch on the inside and heated up the garbage inside there, while turning the rotor. Then took a screwdriver and cleaned the junk out. That one was off in about 20 min. I probably should have explained better.

It also depends where you are located, here in Ohio they get exposed to a lot of road salt in the winter. If you're located farther South or West, they'll probably come off easier.
TurboDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Wino
AF Newbie

Re: Removing 97 2500 4X4 Front Brake Rotors

Thanks TurboDuck,

I brought the truck down to Texas when we moved from Virginia, so I will combat some rust, but not as bad as you in Ohio. Unfortunately I no longer have a torch so banging on the rotor will have to do if I need to remove it. I'll find out this week. Thanks again for the input.
Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
97TurboRamster
AF Newbie

Re: Removing 97 2500 4X4 Front Brake Rotors

hey guys, on the 97 2500 4x4 they dont just slip off.you must remove the cotter pin and the big nut in the center which holds the axle in the hub.then you remove the 4 12 point bolts that hold the bearing/hub to the front axle housing,they are located on the inside.the book says to loosen bolts 1/4 inch then tap on bolt head to loosen bearing/hub assembly from housing.then after you have the whole assembly off and on ground you pound out the wheel studs.doing so will release the rotor from the hub/bearing assembly.it doesnt require any special tools.i just did mine on my 97 2500 4x4 cummins turbo diesel 5 speed manual trans. it wasnt that big of a job, i did mine in about 3 hours.
but now i have developed a fuel leak which still have to resolve
i know that is another topic
good luck 97TurboRamster
97TurboRamster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10