Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
Threeyearitch
AF Newbie

Spoilers/ "Wings" Pointless on FWD Cars?

Maby this is a stupid question, maby not. Either way, I've been wondering... If spoilers/wings (depending on if your car's a domestic or an import ) are used to create downforce, then aren't they pointless on a front wheel drive car? There used on RWD cars to help sort of 'push' the tires into the pavement I thought. The only benefit I can see would be to keep the back down maby during high speeds? Anyone care to clarrify (sp)? Thanks
Threeyearitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
3.4grandam
AF Regular

Re: Spoilers/ "Wings" Pointless on FWD Cars?

i definetly have a remark on those stupid things. those big spoilers dont do shit for a front wheel drive except give it a gay look thats all they do. people wit those just watch fast and the furious 2 much
3.4grandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
LeBuick
AF Regular

Re: Re: Spoilers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.4grandam
i definetly have a remark on those stupid things. those big spoilers dont do shit for a front wheel drive except give it a gay look thats all they do. people wit those just watch fast and the furious 2 much
Don't have a wing or a desire to get one but that is one great movie! And Eva Mendez!!!!
LeBuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

ok yes they serve no purpose in FWD cars, how ever, some people put them on because they think they look good....
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
Threeyearitch
AF Newbie

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Wasn't realy trying to turn this into a debate :P
Threeyearitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird

if you're going really fast through a corner then yes. The weight of the wing might give a little more traction.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
mysatilac
AF Enthusiast

it would look stupid with a wing on the front...
But yeah even though I'm going for a sporty look on my car I dont think I'll be gettin a wing anytime soon. Although I have thought about it. Again, just for looks, no real performance gains because downforce in the back should actually take weight off the front where these FWD cars need it...
'97 Maroon SL1- Bored Throttle Body, Knife Edged Throttle Plate, Short Ram Intake 3" Cone Filter, Flip Flop Trunk, Red Enameled Engine, Interior & Exterior Painting Mods, 4" Burnt Tip Muffler, DRLs ON A SWITCH!, "Rims", Seat Covers, And A Stereo System Thats Too Good!, Other various mods and detailing...
mysatilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #8
ExtreemATV
AF Regular

I think they look great on any car but when they go over the top it looks terrible.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
wonword
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to wonword

Those wings do help in some cases!! If your just talking about buying a Universal spoiler the no, it will not do anything. See, every car has different areodynamics, and if you we're to tune a wing to the specifics of where the airflows, it can add downforce to the rear end. Why would a FWD car want down force in the rear end? The only way it would really be effective is cornering at very high speeds, this can also be done by adding a special lip on your trunk.
OBX Header
Short Throw Shifter
Extreme Performance Clutch

68' AMC Abassador
Chevy 350
TH 350 Tranny
Headers
Dual Exhaust

1999 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Yellow/Black
Yoshimura Exhaust

http://members.cardomain.com/wonword
wonword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
Oscuro
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Oscuro
*cough* Phsyics.

For most any wing/spoiler you see on the street, I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't do jackshit other than add weight to the vehicle.
However, if the wing/spoiler is actually tuned to produce downforce, then yes, it is useful on a front wheel drive car as well. Why? Because typically, most FF cars have a front-rear balance ratio somewhere between 60/40 and 52/48. Adding downforce to the rear end can help balance the car, and keep the rear end a little more planted. However, this is best used in conjunction with a front spoiler as well, which are usually added to the front end above a splitter.
Need verification of this? Watch BTCC Touring cars, all of those vehicles run wings and spoilers, be they FF, or FR.

Remember though, if you are thinking of buying a wing for your car from the aftermarket, it probably isn't going to do anything more than add weight, not downforce.
Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
-Davo
Banned

You guys must of missed my thread in Stress Relief.

Wings looks shit, and they don't do anything (unless you plan on travelling at ultra-high speeds).
-Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

for those of us who do like to do more than travel in a straight line, wings are very helpfull. (drag racing is boring) I myself dont drive a front drive car (I hate them), but if a front drive car is well balanced and the suspension setup is good then it will sometimes oversteer coming out of turns and in that case a well designed wing will do a lot to keep those back wheels planted and allow for higher exit speeds and entry speeds. but of course most people who have wings on the street dont need them. we call those people ricers. (that being said, my widebody and big F-in wing should arive in about a week)

wings are very different from spoilers. spoilers spoil the lift created over the rear deck of a car and wings creat downforce.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
ec437
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Spoilers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
for those of us who do like to do more than travel in a straight line, wings are very helpfull. (drag racing is boring) I myself dont drive a front drive car (I hate them), but if a front drive car is well balanced and the suspension setup is good then it will sometimes oversteer coming out of turns and in that case a well designed wing will do a lot to keep those back wheels planted and allow for higher exit speeds and entry speeds. but of course most people who have wings on the street dont need them. we call those people ricers. (that being said, my widebody and big F-in wing should arive in about a week)

wings are very different from spoilers. spoilers spoil the lift created over the rear deck of a car and wings creat downforce.
You obviously don't know how oversteer works. FWD will nearly always understeer.

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed

youve obviously never watched a touring car race.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
RickwithaTbird
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RickwithaTbird Send a message via MSN to RickwithaTbird Send a message via Yahoo to RickwithaTbird

U guyz R str8 trip'n! U obviously didnt know dat wing turned dis Malibu n2 1 mean race machine! Plus it looks mad ill son. Dont B humma stuntin' play hatas! One.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics