Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 03:48 AM   #16
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by kbslacker
I could easily pay cash for it up front.
Followed by more large cash payments every 6mnths for the life of the car getting all those little things fixed that seem to be excluded from the warranty becuase ford knew about the faults before production began yet is to cheap to fix thier mistakes.

Why the hell don't you just go out and buy a Pinto, or an Explorer fitted with Firestones?
Old 12-06-2001, 08:04 AM   #17
G-Forces
Banned

I always thought the Contour SVT was a pretty nice car. I wasn't aware of the reliability problems.

I'd stick with the G personally. While it wouldn't beat an SVT Contour stock for stock, I think there is more potential from the SR20.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 08:26 AM   #18
NismoPC
AF Enthusiast

kbslacker

Too bad the Contour was not imported properly over here. The Ford Mondeo is a pretty kick ass vehicle overseas. For some idiotic reason, Ford decided to swap out the engine, transmission, suspension and practically all other forms of European quality and put American parts into it.

Oh well.

'96 G20 - modified
NismoPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 09:40 AM   #19
howard_w13
AF Enthusiast

Re: So, the G20 may be going bye bye soon.

Quote:
Yeah, so anyways. Today I was running around town, when I decided to stop in and test drive a 98' SVT Contour. I think I am hooked. If I am hooked, the G20 will be traded in, or sold. :o
What unmitigated gall you possess to commit an act of such brazen betrayal!!! May you be struck with the curse of the G20 forum for the rest of your days!!! :toothless
Why not just use your hardearned cash to simply max out the performance of your G? Besides, the Contour isn't as reliable as the G20. My $.02

:coolguy: :coolguy:

"Tis been my observation that a man that freely gives eveyone a piece of his mind ususally has very little left to think with."
howard_w13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:14 PM   #20
kris
Off playing with fire.

Okay, all you people keep saying it is unreliable, and cheap. But yet none of you can tell me why, and how? Why is that? Is it just because you are assoiciating the Ford name with this car?
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 04:32 PM   #21
SkylinesKillAll
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SkylinesKillAll Send a message via Yahoo to SkylinesKillAll
ahh go for it i say. if i could have a svt contour id take it too. ill take 200 hp over 140 hp any day. who cares if it ford. do as u wish

:flamer: :monkeypis :bathroom::rocket: :badass:
SkylinesKillAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 05:04 PM   #22
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay, all you people keep saying it is unreliable, and cheap. But yet none of you can tell me why, and how? Why is that? Is it just because you are assoiciating the Ford name with this car?
Motor go BOOM.

My buddy with the SVT was without his car for several months while waiting for Ford to send a new engine. The engine on his two year old car croaked in a major way. But suit yourself.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 05:29 PM   #23
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

Motor go BOOM.

My buddy with the SVT was without his car for several months while waiting for Ford to send a new engine. The engine on his two year old car croaked in a major way. But suit yourself.

Well, I can name problems with 2-4 year old Nissans that I have seen as well.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:05 PM   #24
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Two year old Nissan needing a new engine for a reason other than neglect?

Sell your car and buy the SVT.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:42 PM   #25
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

Sell your car and buy the SVT.

Okay thank you daddy.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:08 PM   #26
frogg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frogg
Just trying to save you some trouble in the long-run. We have a Ford, and personally, I think it is garbage can on wheels.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 10:42 PM   #27
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
I know a couple people with SVT Contours, and they have had 0 problems with them. For the most part, newer Ford are most certainly not unreliable cars. Ford just got that image with the Pinto, Fairmont, Tempo, etc, all cars that were absolutely horrible and were unreliable. I think it's time to break that misconception, my car is just over 10 years old, has 115,000 miles, and has never had or needed any major work, just brakes (worn), and a tie rod.

Anyways, back to the Contour, it can't really be compared to a regular Contour. It has a special head and complete chassis massage, and is a very different animal. 200 horsepower with a 5-speed only in a car that size makes quite the mover. Stock it will do 0-60 in about 7.1 seconds, for about $10,000 -$13,000. I don't know much about G's, so I may be wrong, but I doubt you could get a 1998 G20 to do the same 0-60 for that price.

The Contour actually has a better safety rating, close reliability rating, and higher performance and comfort ratings on most major car info websites.

While the G20 is an awesome car, and has great potential, you have to invest quite a bit in order to match what the Contour gives you right out of the basket. I'm willing to bet that parts, if ever even needed for either car, would be a whole lot cheaper for the Ford. I'm not here to say that the G20 is a bad car, in fact, I love them. I'm just presenting the facts that the Contour isn't such a bad car either.

BTW, this is my 3000th post

Old 12-06-2001, 10:57 PM   #28
G20er
AF Regular

Quote:

FYI, Ford has low quality standards. My buddy bought a brand new Mustang GT and within a year he notices that it consumes alot of oil. In a couple of weeks it would consume 1 quart of oil. He brought it to the dealer and they told him it's normal if the Ford uses 1 quart per 950-1000 miles. Under their standard it's consider normal so they didn't do anything. That means that before you do your regular 3000 mile oil change you could be 3 quarts low and it's normal What really hurts is that my buddy baby that car like no other. If you want more examples I have more friends with Cobras, F-150 and I can tell you the trouble they have with Ford products....

L8r,
G20er
G20er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:11 AM   #29
G-Forces
Banned

In the news a couple weeks ago.

http://chicagotribune.com/business/c...i-business-hed

Quote:
Under Nasser, Ford squeezed annual price cuts out of its suppliers, but quality slipped and warranty costs skyrocketed.

"When the profits go away, as a supplier you find ways of cutting corners, and the quality suffers. Every time someone has initiated something like this, the result is poor quality," Keller said.
Even the CEO of Ford admitted to a quality problem in the company. However the first part of fixing a problem is realizing you have one.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 08:24 AM   #30
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Kris, if you can get a good deal, go for it. I don't own a Ford and never have, therefore, I can only speak from what I've seen and heard. Maybe it won't be so bad.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General