Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
bobinyelm
AF Newbie

Tire Life for NSX Tires?

I presently own a mint, low mileage Twin Turbo Nissan 300ZX.

It is a really bullet proof, FAST, comfortable, and economical car.

That said, it IS rather ordinary and common compared to the NSX, and I am interested in acquiring a NSX for that, plus its technological refinement.

I have heard that the NSX (especially early ones) goes through tires like no other car. In fact, one lady owner I spoke with said she has the rear tires replaced every 5000 to 7000 miles due NOT to her driving, but rather the alignment geometry built into the NSX. The fronts she replaces at about 12,000 miles. She spends $2400 every 12,000 miles for tires!!

Is this fact or fiction, and how many miles can I realistically expect from "normal" (not exotic soft-compound tires) on an NSX, and is it true that early ones are much worse in this regard than the newer ones?.

I presently have some Yokahamas on my 300ZX that have a tread wear rating of 420 that handle very well (not as well as all-out performance tires, of course), yet will likely go 60,000miles (the way I drive: conservatively). I would hate to dump $800 every 8000 miles on the rears alone on a NSX!

That's just NOT in my budget.
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Tires

the information is only part correct. Yes, the NSX goes through tires faster than any other car I've seen 5000 to 7000 for rears could be right (for the Stock tires) closer to 10,000 for the front. BUT.....
Tires will run you closer to $1,000 if you buy them right!
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
bobinyelm
AF Newbie

Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownsx
the information is only part correct. Yes, the NSX goes through tires faster than any other car I've seen 5000 to 7000 for rears could be right (for the Stock tires) closer to 10,000 for the front. BUT.....
Tires will run you closer to $1,000 if you buy them right!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Further reading implies that with non-OEM tires, less camber and toe-in one can possibly double these mileage figures.

Does that square with your experience, or is an NSX owner condemned to that dismal tire wear senario?

I was enthusiastic about NSX being a well designed vehicle, but such a flaw makes it seem an unacceptable choice for a thinking person (of limited means).

I cannot believe that decent handling depends on scrubbing expensive tires off twice a year.

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
yellownsx
AF Newbie

I put 13,000 on my rear bridgestone SO-3's but you can't corner at 70 mph ( closer to 60 with these tires ) by the way..the rear tires are SHOT! replacing next year when I pull the car back out. To do so now would just leave flat spots on the tires, and you notice that after 140mph!
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX