Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #31
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

Re: Performance mods that DO work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednaxela_03
so it is the extra air that is giving the problem?
I can put rivets in the holes and that will take care of the extra air.
thanks for the help.
Yes having those two holes open will provide too much air and cause erratic idling. Safest option is to get another blade but if you can install rivets in the holes that are exactly the right size you might be ok.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
otis baum
AF Newbie

If you want some real power and I mean real power add a super charger. It is a one day job that really gives you lots of low end torque; there are kits for many engines. I like these because you don,t have to monkey around with the exhaust. You may want to add an intercooler as the air gives off heat when you compress it. These are really fun for low displacement engines.

If you don't go overboard you can keep the lower end pretty much stock. Like 5lbs or less.
otis baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

The only kit that is still produced for the 4.3 is made by powerdyne (blower is vortech). The kit runs at 6psi without an intercooler and from what others have told me, provides good power gains. The kit, however, is not cheap at around $2,500 for a new kit. If your willing to spend that much money then fine but you should do other supporting mods first. Personally, I don't think its practical because of the cost and the way it murders your gas mileage .
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #34
Polospeeds
AF Newbie

I just bought a computer chip through Boss Performance for my 1995 4.3 liter TBI. It says it is supposed to give a hp boost. It was only $20 bucks so I dont expect much. It says to patch it into the intake air temperature sensor. I don't know where that is located. I went to my local auto store and their computer says it is attached to the airbox intake tube that goes to the front of the truck behind the headlight. I have recently added a cold air intake but there was no such sensor on my stock intake.

Can you tell me where this sensor might be? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Polospeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
michaelcannon88
AF Newbie

Ok i have a 93 CPI 4.3 Jimmy and am looking for a good place to get performance Headers with Full true dual exhaust or something with xpipe in cluded not wanting to spend too much over $500 for the full kit but any1 kno where i could get ahold of something like this
michaelcannon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
b1lk1
AF Regular

Never heard of a dual exhaust kit for these trucks and headers are a nightmare as well. You'd be best off looking for someone to do it custom. Doubt you'll get it done for under $500 as a good set of headers will cost close to that.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #37
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polospeeds View Post
I just bought a computer chip through Boss Performance for my 1995 4.3 liter TBI. It says it is supposed to give a hp boost. It was only $20 bucks so I dont expect much. It says to patch it into the intake air temperature sensor. I don't know where that is located. I went to my local auto store and their computer says it is attached to the airbox intake tube that goes to the front of the truck behind the headlight. I have recently added a cold air intake but there was no such sensor on my stock intake.

Can you tell me where this sensor might be? any help would be greatly appreciated.
TBI (Z engine) does not have a Mass Air Flow sensor or Inlet Air Temperature sensor.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #38
michaelcannon88
AF Newbie

Well I did my own custom single dual setup but gets a little to loud when I am into it i want a deeper toned sound even if I have to go with an X-Pipe type setup that would be fine but cant find anywhere that has everything i need for it Headman has a set of street headers for $240 but are ball and socket ends and just finding 1 place with all the stuff I need is impossible, I can do the work myself but prefer to get ann the pipes from one place including headers
Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #39
b1lk1
AF Regular

Because there are no dual exhaust kits for these trucks. Never have been, never will be.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #40
michaelcannon88
AF Newbie

yes i have noticed there are no true dual kits for these that is why I asked in my last post if anyone has found a good place to find an aftermarket Y-pipe 3" inlets and outlet would be great figured i should keep stock configuration to not have to deal with the O2 censor as much
Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #41
chevyk1d91
AF Newbie

i am getting a 94 chevy silvarado with a 4.3 l vortec i have the same truck with a 350 though what can i do to the new truck to keep the get up and go??
chevyk1d91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
Blazer SS
AF Regular

I Have been watching this post for a while now, and I have seen just the weekend mods that do provide an increase in fun , But not a real increase in horse power. When I first started posting suggestions in this post , it was to provide like minded people like myself with performance options that are not always available to the 4.3 v6 Vortec crowd. The truth. The V6 Chevy vortec is a great engine ! like anything that has moving parts and rotates at 5000 rpm THEY NEED UPKEEP, and the M word. They don't make the Blazer and the Bravada anymore because They made them too well ! Think of this. How old is your Blazer and Bravada ? How many are still on the street ? Why do people talk about things breaking and malfunctioning , when in fact the parts might be older than they are ?!

Now For real v6 Vortec performance . Go to shops on line like RaceprovenMotors and SYTY and check out the Ghetto Sled ! Check out the 1200 HP dual turbo v6 Vortec on youtube. If they don't get your blood boiling and lusting after HP, I don't know what will !
Now that I am finished with my Rant ! I will provide an indepth look at gaining real HP from the V6 Vortec in the coming weeks. For now lets talk about a $300 purchase that will involve some time and elbow grease on your part. First let us go to Ebay, The part the Marine intake. This comes with an open plenum , same long runners that most of you don't even know that we have, an aluminum instead of plastic upper, and last but not least REPLACEABLE INJECTORS !! OOOOOHHH ! I'd say a realistic 20 HP gain right from the start. with the stock injectors ! You laugh at only 20HP ! This is only one mod, when combined with the others mentioned on this site will provide an even higher HP return. Now this is for the naysayers who will somehow try to refute this.

How much HP does the typical V8 have at the wheels ? Not at the crank but at the wheels. Now we just spent $300 and have the same amount. I can see the keyboards all lighting up. Trans am this , Trailblazer SS this, Corvett this. V8 V8 V8. We Have a V6 , and when I smoke the Trans ams , the trailblazers, the Corvetts , they all ask what am I running? I smile and say a vortec V6 ! The Contempt comes , the look of disbelief. the feighning of gladness, and they walk away ! Usually talking trash . And before they leave the same questions always comes up. How Much did you spend ? What shop built it for you? And it must have cost a fortune ! I reply Nah I did it myself ,in the driveway.

My Blazer has everything from a coilover front suspension to a intercooled supercharger and yes it still has the 4 wheel drive ! and 4 doors. I'm sure that you can find the post for the Marine intake swap online. With this , I will leave you now , till next post.
Blazer SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
Blazer SS
AF Regular

Now that we have talked about the Marine intake, let's talk about sparkplugs. How mundane and boring are they ? Well I think sparkplugs are the greatest thing since sliced bread ! Just by looking at and anaylising them So much can be known about your engine. Just get good ones. Iridium plugs are very durable, not as conductive as copper, better than brass, But come no where near silver. Silver makes sense ! Gold would be better if it was more durable. Silver still ranks at the top !

Before installing them just make sure that they are gapped, and clean around the holes before insertion.

Before putting on new wires , pull out your multimeter and test them !

Test the cap also !!

Now think ignition. Crane ,Morroso, Summit , whoever ! Just get one ! You will appreciate it for your later mods ! Also get the highest coil output that you can find , at least 48000v.

Ignition Module, YOU NEED MORE SATURATION OF THE SPARK ! DYNA MOD comes to mind.

These updates should take care of your electric side of your engine for now. Next post I will talk about Your Y pipe and C A I and your fuel pump !
Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #44
Blazer SS
AF Regular

I wonder how many of you performance guy's have ever changed your transmission filter or fluid ? Maybe the differential fluid? Any fluids ever ? Don't talk to me about performance when you don't even take care of the basics ! Those that do , read on. Those that don't , GO TO PEPBOYS OR ANY OTHER PARTS STORE !! Then get back to this post.

Lets talk power to weight . Say you have 200hp in a 4000lb blazer. now you have 200hp in a 3800lb blazer , or a 3600lb blazer. Do you think that weight makes a difference ? Loose the spare tire ! Get a can of fix a flat ! Its good enough for a Corvette why can't we do it ? But if you have to keep a spare, Get a doughnut . Loose the weight set out of the rear ! Get rid of the snap on fullsize toolbox ! Take out the junk !

Now about your friends. Lets say you have 4 Friends, they all want to feel the power of your now 3600lb truck, so let's all pile in , before we get to that deserted back road lets stop at burger king . you know 2 of your friends are hungry , they have to support their 200lb girth ! You get to the road, and you hit it . What happened to all of the power that you had ? Lets say a 10 min idle at the drivethrough, a now very heated engine bay and maybe 600lb's of friends in your Blazer ! Get the picture !
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
Blazer SS
AF Regular

I guess if you are reading this, you want more out of your Blazer. Be that HP or more miles per gallon. Guess what ! By having better performance you make your engine better, which in turn takes away more restrictions and if you kept your foot out of it (Disipline)your mpg will go up.

Now lets talk camshafts. First you must decide on what kind of power you are looking for. Stop light to stop light, 0-60, street, dragstrip, Bragging rights but no streetability, and daily strong driving. When you make up your mind, start calling all of the big Dawgs , Comp, Lunati, and the rest. talk to the customer service guy's and tell them what kind of driving and your anticipated HP. They will all ask you about your torque converter. This is perhaps the most important thing that they need along with your rear ratio and what rocker arms that you will use.

Camshafts and torque converters go hand in hand. Stall speeds , lock up, no lock up, Nitrous, Supercharged, Turbo and compression ! All need to be considered.

Replacing the General all around , made for the masses, camshaft is probably the single most performance oriented thing that you can do for your engine. But remember that it also involves your converter and rocker arms. At the least.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance