Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
blazee
Problem?

HOW TO: Add an Image to Your Post.

You'll have to host your image somewhere. The most commonly used site is www.imageshack.us, so that is the one used for these instructions.

Hosting the image.

1. Go to www.imageshack.us.

2. Click on "Browse":

3. Locate the image on your computer and click "open":

4. Image size:

If you'd like the image to be automatically resized, check the "resize image?" button, choose 640x480 from the drop down menu, and then click "host it":

If you want the image left the original size, make sure that "resize image?" is not selected and click "host it":

5. Your image is now hosted:

Posting the Image.

1. ImageShack gives you several options, but you only need to be concerned with two.
Option 1 is useful for large images. This option will display a smaller version of your image in your post, and open the full sized version when clicked. To use this option, just copy the code given and paste it in your post and you're done.

Option 2 is the direct link to the image, using this will display the full sized image in your post. The steps below will work for the url of any image, not just the ones hosted at ImageShack:

2. Highlight the url, right click it and choose "copy":

3. There are couple methods of including it in your post.

Method 1: Click the image button:

Right click in the box, choose paste and then click "Ok". You're done.:

Method 2: Paste the url directly in the reply box, and then type in the image code around it. "[img]" before before the url and "[/img]" after it, and you're done:

Your image will look like this if you chose to post it as a thumbnail:

It will look like this if you chose to put the full size image in your post:

blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
leadalto
AF Regular

Re: HOW TO: Add an Image to Your Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
You'll have to host your image somewhere.
I mentioned to you once before (possibly privately) that I was having problems uploading pictures to the AF Gallery. Part of the problem was not having registered to the Gallery and I may have tried uploading a picture greater than 80Kb.

Subsequently, I was able to upload 3 pictures pictures to the Gallery and edited my post to link to the Gallery pictures instead of those stored in my personal space at my IP's server.

The only difference is that my pictures now had an Automotive Forums watermark when viewed in the post.

The following are the 3 pictures stored in the AF Gallery.

It's a strange coincidence that you posted the "how to" on adding images to a post when, at the same time, I was going to add a post that I was again having problems uploading to the Gallery.

I would prefer to have my posted images stored on the AF server for the reason that it might have greater longevity than if stored on my IP's server.

I've seen a lot of posts where the pics are no longer available and all you get is a box with a little x in the upper left corner.

Today, I tried to upload pictures to the Gallery (which show how to R&R the Instrument Cluster on a 93 S10-Blazer) with no success. I logged in, looked at the pictures in "My Gallery" but couldn't get anything to upload. All my files are less than 80KB.

What gives? It didn't work, then it did, and now it doesn't.
leadalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
ZL1power69
GM S-Series Mod

i vote for a how-to thread on posting sound clips. putfile.com will not recognize my files.
Exterior Mods: Just Right

1987 Buick Turbo T Dark Red
Low 11 sec sleeper
.030 4.1 block, PT6262E, & other odds and ends....
My Cardomain
ZL1power69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
blazee
Problem?

I just tried to upload to the AF gallery, and couldn't get it to work, either. Imageshack has been pretty reliable to date, so I've rarely used the AF gallery. I like the watermarks that AF puts on the pics, though, it should help stop theft. One of the filehosting sites that I use only allows me limited bandwidth, and the amount I'm using has tripled in the last couple weeks, so I think that some of my threads have been posted on other sites. It doesn't really bother me that they copied the stuff, but they should have hosted the images themselves. I don't want to have to redo all my threads, because someone else caused me to run out of bandwidth....
blazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
leadalto
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
I just tried to upload to the AF gallery, and couldn't get it to work, either. .........
I've tried a few times since your post without success but today I uploaded 15 Pics with no problems. Go Figure!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

http://photobucket.com/ is another alternative. They automatically resize your image also.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
leadalto
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
http://photobucket.com/ is another alternative. They automatically resize your image also.
Is there a catch? I'm always leery of something that's supposedly free. My son has a "free" website which comes with pop-up commercials etc. Who needs that?

I'm mainly interested in having "persistence" in the Pics that I attach to a "how-to" or a post that can benefit from a Pic rather than 1000 words. By uploading my Pics to the AF Gallery (which is "free") I'm hoping that they will persist longer than I wish to keep them on my personal Internet Provider (IP) server. You have to remember that Pics uploaded to the Gallery are watermarked by Automotive Forums so you lose your rights to the material (the catch in "free"). I'm not in the copyright business so I don't care.

Not being a lawyer, I don't know what the ramifications are if you post images of copyrighted material in your Pics. Such as, direct copies of wiring diagrams or graphics from a published maintenance manual. I would avoid it!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #8
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

There's no catch to using photobucket.

Posting copywrited material is no problem if you don't post the whole manual or you don't make money off it. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, don't do it. It's your nerves.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
BlazinMlew
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to BlazinMlew

is this for posting in your sig. as well?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2371527
BlazinMlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
Nicks462
AF Newbie

DropBox is another good image hosting site.
Nicks462 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info