Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Creatine
AF Newbie

Best LQ4 combo for my setup?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a restoration project to my '88 s10. I was initially going to go with a LS1/t56 tranny setup, but after some guidance for cost purposes, it seems the Lq4 is the way to go. I would like to make 400-500HP from headers/intake/heads/cam along with a complete dual H exhaust and tune. Not interested in boost/nos setups. Budget for motor is about 3K. I found a 04 LQ4 compelte with harness and computer for 350 from credible source with only 120K on it.

Theres really only two main setups that I have seen. But no cam suggested.

04 LQ4 Long block + L92 heads + LS3 intake

or

04 LQ4 Long block + LS6(or 243) heads + LS6 intake.

What is the best setup to go with, and what kind of cam should I be looking to run based on either one? I would like a really nice mean idle to it. Also, what kind of pistons would I put in when I rebuild it? I know theres alot of talk about the CR and seen some posts recomending dish, but I think that was for boost applications only.

I found this guide that lists most the parts needed to complete this. however its for a carb setup. Anything I should need to know or you would like to suggest please feel free to, I am not very techy (don't worry I have some old hot rodders helping me build it) I just need to line up all the parts first and buy them

Are my stock heads/intake/internals worth selling? If so, what might they be worth.

Thanks

EDIT: before anyone mentions this since I get it alot, the 3K is for motor only, and I already have the rear end upgrades planned. I just need help on the motor.
Creatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Creatine
AF Newbie

Re: Best LQ4 combo for my setup?

Here is my updated build plans:

LQ4 6.0L Iron Block
L92 Heads + Will try and find local machine shop to port
LS3 Intake
Stock head gasget
Texas Speed Performance 229/236 .624 .615 111 LSA cam

Rearend gears 4:10 or 4:56s

Should I switch all the accesories and pullies over to the f-body style to create some more room between the fans? This engine has a clutch fan on the front, I'm assuming I can just take that off and run e-fans otherwise right? BTW, everything off this motor is up for sale if your interested, just throw me a price.

What's the difference between a LSA 111/112/113. What one would I want in my application?

Also, what do you think of an e-supercharger? For the price seems like a pretty decent upgrade. I know its no where having a real one or turbo, but for how easy I can install it, worth it?

http://www.superchargertuning.com/Chevrolet/Silverado/
Creatine is offline   Reply With Quote