Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Deliriou5
AF Newbie

Metro Drags when it gets warm...

Year: 1996
model: Metro LSI
engine mileage: 140K
work done: Replaced front brake pads and driver side caliper. Tune-up replacing plugs and wires.

What are the symptoms:
When I first started experiencing this, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident. About close to a mile later up the interstate, I smelled EXTREME brake burning smell (the smell that brakes only seem to make) and the metro began to drag as if the emergency brake was engaged. I pulled into a parking lot to find that what looked like the drivers side wheel was smoking with the bad smell. After letting it cool for about an hour, I decided see if I could drive it home, (about 20 miles away). I got it home, no problem and figured it was a result of having to slam the brakes.

The next day, on the way to work, I experienced a bit of drag about a mile from work. (About a total of 35 miles away from where I live) I thought nothing of it, untill on the way home, the brake pedal got extremely hard to push, so I pulled off thinking it was a brake problem again. however this time finding that after I parked it, it was nearly impossible to move the car unless I let it cool for about an hour. By this time, the brake had loosened and I decided to drive it home again. About 10 miles from home, it began to drag again, and the brake got hard to push as well, but this time with no smoke or smell

I parked the car, and this last weekend, I replaced the driver side caliper and both sets of brake pads on the front, in addition to that, I did a tune up on the car. (Just in case... You never know) the car has worked great all weekend untill today, when I started getting some extreme drag on the car. I pulled off the highway, and found it smoking again with that major brake smell. I got it home again, but now it is to the point that if is driven any extended distance the car, if it does not get pulled over to cool from whatever is causing this, probably would stop entirely and not go at all.

Anyone heard of this? I am thinking it is either a transmission problem or a master cylinder problem... Maybe even clutch?
Deliriou5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
mr.Hand
AF Regular

Re: Metro Drags when it gets warm...

could be a clogged brake line maybe, i had this problem you are experiencing as well but after I replaced my calipers I stopped having the problem
mr.Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Rooy
AF Newbie

Old rubber flex lines can act like a one way valve, not allowing brake pressure to flow back and allow the caliper or wheel cylinder to release.

Can you pinpoint which brake(s) is locking up?
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Deliriou5
AF Newbie

Gotta assume the drivers side. That's where the smoke is coming from.
Deliriou5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Rooy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriou5 View Post
Gotta assume the drivers side. That's where the smoke is coming from.
Front or rear on the driver's side? Whichever it is, I would replace the flex hose and inspect/replace the caliper or wheel cylinder.
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
leonbentz
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to leonbentz

I had a car do this once. The caliper pistons most likely are sticking bad. I had to pull the calipers apart and hone them out and replace the o-rings.
leonbentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
doug7x
AF Regular

Yep...leonbentz is probably right...had the caliper piston stick on me a couple of times...this is fairly common...just free it up or replace it (about 50 bucks @ NAPA)
doug7x is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1996 , brake , dragging , metro
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro