Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
jellis86
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jellis86
Question 1995 Roadmaster Blower Motor intermittent

I have a very strange problem with the heater/AC blower on our '95. Most of the time the blower fan will not come on but a slight bump of the wires where it connects to the blower and it kicks on. I thought that possibly the contacts were dirty so I cleaned them as good as I could and then used some dielectric grease on them to increas contact. Same result, tap the wires and it comes on, and I mean a very light tap right near the connector. Any lower on the wires and nothing happens!
Has anyone else ever had a problem like this? I thought that possibly the ground wire was causing the problem, but with it disconnected and using a VOM, I get voltage accross the terminals.
Anyway, any help or advise would be appreciated. I hate to purchase a new blower motor when it works, once the wires are tapped. BTW: This doesn't always happen, sometimes the fan comes on right away, but mostly not.
Thanks!
jellis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 1995 Roadmaster Blower Motor intermittent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis86
the contacts were dirty so I cleaned them as good as I could and then used some dielectric grease on them to increas contact.
Anyway, any help or advise would be appreciated. BTW: This doesn't always happen, sometimes the fan comes on right away, but mostly not.
Thanks!
Dielectric grease does not “increase contact” it merely aids in the prevention of corrosion. You could have loose contacts in the terminal that connects to the blower motor, or in the contacts to the motor. You can try a small screwdriver to bend the contacts in the terminal, which should make them fit the motor terminals better. If it is the motor terminals, you may have to replace the motor. Have you checked the amps that the motor is pulling when it is on high-speed? It should be somewhere between 18-20 amps, anymore than that and I would suspect the motor is going defunct.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
jellis86
AF Newbie

Thanks, I will take an amp reading. Also, I tried bending the contacts but might not have been enough. I think you could be right about the blower motor being bad and I might just change it anyway as it is a little noisy at times.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

That might be a good idea especially if it's the original unit, and it gets a lot of use. I've always had issues with the blower motors on my GM vehicles all the way back to the 70s models. Even now, my '95 Roadmaster's blower motor is making all sorts of noises , but not all the time, so that tells me it's on it's way out. I've seen them for around $50 to $75 and although it's a little higher than many of the ones I've had in the past, it would be money well spent if it solves the issue.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
wagonswest
AF Newbie

Your problem may not be the fan motor but the relay that is under the dash plugged into the motor. It is easy to replace and is more often then not the cause of intermittent fan problems. I recently replaced the one on my '96 and the fan works perfectly.
wagonswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
jellis86
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 1995 Roadmaster Blower Motor intermittent

Hey all...
I replaced the blower motor/fan and it works fine now. I think the fan had a bad plug. I tried some different things with the wires this time and noticed that one side of the connector affected the fan more than the other, even changed speeds while messing with it.
Anyway, all is good for now.
As far as the blower fan relay, I hadn't thought of it before but hope it holds out. The car does have just over 200K so I am sure it is all original under there.

Thanks all that responded!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster