Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
GP2K
AF Newbie

Question Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

I was just wondering about something. For some reason, Honda/Acura cars almost always have a much higher horsepower than torque. For example, Accord(240,212), S2000(240,161), TL(270,238), etc..Now this is not a knock on these particular brands, rather a curiousity. Does anyone know the reason(s) why?!
GP2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 AM   #2
portaman03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to portaman03 Send a message via Yahoo to portaman03
Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

i dunno, but id much rather have more torque than hp.
portaman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
Mendari
AF Enthusiast

There are three types of forces that a metal must withstand, compression, tension and torque (i.e. push, pull, twist). Torque is a twisting force and torque causes stress on metals. It is less expensive to make an engine that spins fast (push, pull ) but there is a lot more involved when designing metals that can resist torque ( twist ).
Mendari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
Re: Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by portaman03
i dunno, but id much rather have more torque than hp.
its just how they are designed, many 4 cyl cars almost always have higher HP than TQ numbers, most cars in fact. look up stats on any car, as long as they arent supercars, like ferraris, lambos, etc than you will see the same effect.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
Dumped91Hatch
AF Enthusiast

It all has to do with the displacement of the motor. Example a 2000 Civic Si 1.6 DOHC Vtec will have less 111tq, compared to a 2000 Integra GSR 1.8 DOHC Vtec with 128tq.
A 92 Dodge Daytona has a 2.5 motor with 100 hp and 135tq. That is why V8 Motors have so much tq because they have like 5.7 litres.

Check out my car here My 91 Hatch
Dumped91Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR

Also Honda motors get losts of Horsepower per liter, meaning that out of a small engine lots of horsepower is extracted, honda sport oriented engines are famous for that. By raising the redline power is increased in large amounts and torque is not, take for example, the 1.6 liter 185 hp, or the 1.8 195 hp, or the 2.0 240 hp. Torque i cannot be highered from a NA motor, it is very hard, you need forced introduction, but hosepower can be raised, by using technology such as highrevving vtec engines.
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
GP2K
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexSiR
Also Honda motors get losts of Horsepower per liter, meaning that out of a small engine lots of horsepower is extracted, honda sport oriented engines are famous for that. By raising the redline power is increased in large amounts and torque is not, take for example, the 1.6 liter 185 hp, or the 1.8 195 hp, or the 2.0 240 hp. Torque i cannot be highered from a NA motor, it is very hard, you need forced introduction, but hosepower can be raised, by using technology such as highrevving vtec engines.
Actually a lot "import" guys out there seem to cling to this HP/Liter thing. To me it doesn't matter how the power is made (forced induction, larger engine, etc.). As long as I have that power in my car that's all I care about.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumped91Hatch
It all has to do with the displacement of the motor. Example a 2000 Civic Si 1.6 DOHC Vtec will have less 111tq, compared to a 2000 Integra GSR 1.8 DOHC Vtec with 128tq.
A 92 Dodge Daytona has a 2.5 motor with 100 hp and 135tq. That is why V8 Motors have so much tq because they have like 5.7 litres.
Pretty much, the design of the motor lends itself to a higher RPM range, and a completely different powerband than most domestic that run higher displacement, and why a Honda civic with a B16 that puts out 111 lbs ft can smpoke say a Cavalier the puts down 150, because torque NUMBERS, and Hp NUMBERS don't actually mean shit. It is 100% usable powerband, when and where your motor makes power. To give you a dramatic example look at your typical Mack truck, here are some specs from a Mack...

Mack E7-300 E-TECH (Electronic)
300 HP @ 1950 Gov. RPM
1160 lb. ft. Max. Torque @ 1200 RPM

Ok, so the Mack E7 motor makes 10 times the torque of a B16A right, so, why can't you drag them, I mean shit, look at that torque number. Because it doesn't put the power to use, and torque is just a NUMBER. By tself it is useless, you have to put it to the ground.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
portaman03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to portaman03 Send a message via Yahoo to portaman03

macks are also so goddam heavy lol. anybody ever see tractor trailer drag racing??? lol its fuggin sweet
portaman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:22 AM   #10
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by portaman03
macks are also so goddam heavy lol. anybody ever see tractor trailer drag racing??? lol its fuggin sweet
Exactly my point.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #11
Mendari
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2K
Actually a lot "import" guys out there seem to cling to this HP/Liter thing. To me it doesn't matter how the power is made (forced induction, larger engine, etc.). As long as I have that power in my car that's all I care about.
Yes, HP/Liter is calculated at only one exact point on the engine's RPM scale. In a street sports car, it is more important to have a higher average horsepower rating. No engine spends it's entire life at 8,5000 RPMs; Sometimes we have to stop at a red lights.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #12
Mendari
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrx
Pretty much, the design of the motor lends itself to a higher RPM range
Yes, the ratio of the rod length versus crank stroke dictates the shape of the power band of the engine. However, HP and Torque numbers are important because they provide insight into when and where the power is delivered.
Also, if the Mack truck had an imaginary 15 speed automatic transmission with incredibly tightly spaced gears, it would be very fast down the quartermile. But transmission gearing is entirely off this threads topic of HP/Trq on a Honda engine.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 PM   #13
GP2K
AF Newbie

So far you guys make sense. I look at two things myself: 1) The curve of the power band (the fatter the better, while peaky powerplants suck) and 2) How much power do I get at a low end. For instance in my GP I have excellent power down low, but it runs out of air as I get into the higher RPMs. To my driving needs, I prefer the low end for passing,
merging and quick starts.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #14
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendari
Yes, the ratio of the rod length versus crank stroke dictates the shape of the power band of the engine. However, HP and Torque numbers are important because they provide insight into when and where the power is delivered.
Also, if the Mack truck had an imaginary 15 speed automatic transmission with incredibly tightly spaced gears, it would be very fast down the quartermile. But transmission gearing is entirely off this threads topic of HP/Trq on a Honda engine.
Hp and torque numbers as displayed from a factory sticker are usless, and drwan up to lure buyers into thinking they are getting something better than they are. I'll even sight Honda as a prome example of this. 99-00 Si 160hp, but like you said no one spends all day at 7900 rpms, and under 5000 rpms is hardly impressive in that heavy ass chassis. But now drop that in say a VX or CX, weight over a thousand pounds less, and that becomes a fairly competitive little car, I know, I hung with a 2003 Civic type R yesterday all the way to about 90 mph in mine. And about the tranny gearing, it isn't off topic at all, since it is DIRECTLY related to how a car performs, and how it translates it powerband into a forward motion, which is hte bases of hp and torque comparisions in the first place, right?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
GP2K
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Honda/Acura HP vs Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrx
Hp and torque numbers as displayed from a factory sticker are usless, and drwan up to lure buyers into thinking they are getting something better than they are. I'll even sight Honda as a prome example of this. 99-00 Si 160hp, but like you said no one spends all day at 7900 rpms, and under 5000 rpms is hardly impressive in that heavy ass chassis. But now drop that in say a VX or CX, weight over a thousand pounds less, and that becomes a fairly competitive little car, I know, I hung with a 2003 Civic type R yesterday all the way to about 90 mph in mine. And about the tranny gearing, it isn't off topic at all, since it is DIRECTLY related to how a car performs, and how it translates it powerband into a forward motion, which is hte bases of hp and torque comparisions in the first place, right?
Yes I agree, the gearing is extremely important and should be included as part of this discussion. On an off topic for a second. My wife and I are considering getting a new car. '04 Accord V6 (coupe/sedan) is one of our many choices. Can I get the Honda/Acura side of the deliberation??

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical