Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 AM   #1
subwoof17
AF Newbie

NOS - Turbo 84 Camaro 355 HELP!!

hi.. i just purchased an 84 camaro not to long ago. it has a 350. i would like to get more power -- like everyone.. the first thing i plan on doing is installing a nitrous WET system.. i was so glad to hear how easy a wet system is with a carberated engine.. i looked into NOS for my 99 GP GTP..cOmPleX!!.. anyway WHAT IS A SAFE BOST TO RUN?? it believe it is mostly stock .. it has an edelbrock carb and intake manifold. it MaY have a small upgrad to the cams (idels a little rough ) and it got new pistons,it was bored .30 over- 30,000 miles ago, but i dont know exactly how manny miles are on the crank or if anything else was ever upgraded or replaced. the car came from the factory with a 5.0 so my 350 was put in that car. I dont know the year of the engine but it is carb injected so it cant be to new .. i would imaging these older engines can take a bit more that the jap crap engines made of sheet metal they are making today.

NOS is a definant my next step is still on the drawing board.

I would like to turbo charge my 350 (blower is way to expensive for me)...i know i may have a bit of a problem with haveing a turbo blow into the carb unlike a more efficent blower that sucks gas and air out of the carb.. BUT.. here is my plan.. i would like to either use one big T4 turbo or have a dual smaller T3 or T2.5 (25) setup.. I own a mig welder and i am preety good with my hands (and metalwork) so sending exhause threw them and getting them to spool up is no problem.. getting the compressed air to the carb is no problem.. the carb is what presents my problem!!

so i can get compressed air to the carb now i need to put it into the engine.. from my understanding a carb is not made to be pressurised (i have been told all the pressure will leak out of the carb if i put my pressurised tube form the turbo(s) directly on the intake of the carb).. so my idea of the solution is to build a square box out of sheet metal.. cut a hole for my compressed air tube to enter.. then cut a hold about 1 mm bigger than the the size of the carb outlet to the engine.... drill holes for all the mounting bolts,fuel line, throttle linkage, and wires (possably add a small ammount of sealant) and bolt the carb down..connect the compressed air intake and we got a turbo'd camaro.. so far i feel fairly confident of my plan..do you agree?

now this step get a little more scetch for me.. i want to keep my engine so i need to add fuel to my new mixture to keep from leaning it out..

I have worked with carbs from a snowmobile (2 cycle) so i do have a good understanding of how they work but i dont know how diffrent this is.. i know there are three diffrent ways to adjust a carb.. one for the mixture at idel.. one for the mixture at half, and one for the mixture at full.. so for my setup i would want to leave idel alone.. no bost present at idel.. i would want to run a bit richer at half throttle and much richer at full throttle(i believe that is the main jet)..could someone please explain this better and tell me whare i can buy these jets?

Thansk alot
subwoof17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
firelime
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to firelime
Re: NOS - Turbo 84 Camaro 355 HELP!!

Why dont you buy a supercharger it will up your horseys 100hp to 175hp
firelime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
subwoof17
AF Newbie

to buy a supercharger would be more expensive.. i would like to fabricate whatever i do and there is no farbication possable for a supercharger.. you see so manny supercharged muscle cars.. i want to see a turbo charged camaro..:-).. mainly i cant aford it..
Old 10-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
jonnyboy9012
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jonnyboy9012
You can pick up a supercharger for the same price as a turbocharger and if you look on ebay they can even be cheaper. As for the nitrous i dont think it is a good idea because unless you plan on upgrading the internals the motor wont last very long.

1972 chevrolet nova
402 Chevy Big Block
Borg Warner 5 speed trans.

Future Mods:
Procharger super charger
NOS Carb Plate Nitrous System (150 Shot)
Hoosier pro street radials
-----------------------------------------
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 Liter (soon to be traded for 96 TSI AWD)
Garret T04-E Turbo
"Quick Flow" Air Filter
Complete Custom Setup
6psi@219whp
-----------------------------------------
URC Member #1
jonnyboy9012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
subwoof17
AF Newbie

it is ok if i only plan on running a 75-100 hp shot right... my kit is capable of a 300 hp shot..what do you think i need to upgrade .. or what will go out first..also .. what do i need to look for in a supercharger? i know turbo's are only 3-400 for a good one.. how much would a blower be? thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
subwoof17
AF Newbie

so the only real diffrence between a supercharger and turbo for this car is price? if thats the case i would rather go with a turbo only because it is more made by me .. not just bolt on..can anyone please explain what jet i need to make replace to make the mixture diffrent when needed? also is my theory for the box correct?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical