Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #16
charrliy525
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: cleaning your multi-function switch (LOTSA pics)

Hello all,Very nice post man,Wish i had it a year ago.Well i have two comments on all thats been said here.
(1)I have a 2000 blazer,2door,2 wheel drive,etc;,.88K on it and have done more fixes then any other chevy me or my pops have ever done on 1 chevy in all the chevys he or me have ever owened(and he had`em since the 50`s),anyways:My multi switch went out around 60K(all sudden no wipers,turn sig`s,cruise,etc,)New 1 at dealer was 638.00,couldnt find a used one under 400.00 no where,so bought a whole columme for 100.00 and swapped the switches and resold the colume and bezals for 125.00 on ebay(YAY!)So i highley recomend this post and cleaning procedure becuase no 1 wants this stupid switch gm uses to burn out.For so many things to run on such a small copper plate is a setup for total failure,especialy when you add that grease that melts and runs and bridges it all.
(2)As for the no tach and gauges comment:I lost rear running lights and tach and gauges as well at 65K and two fuses in the underhood box kept blowen,I traced it down to the park nuetral switch on the tranny,I gues when i changed the tranny filter at 50K or just from me running it like hell off road(no idea how)it just wasnt getting a connection,or as the"master mechanic wanna be`s kept telling me,it was bad and replace it",nope not me!Unplugged it,blasted it with air,Hit it a few not hard but light taps with a mallet,Filled it with electrode grease and pluged it back in,Smackked it a few more times,And everything works again and hasnt messed up again yet,even after 20+K miles.
these blazers are possesed in my opion when it comes to there electrical setups.to many things run together.and i`ve found that the least obvious is usualy the problem,anything a so called master tech tells you?Use your commen sense and simplify what you hear and your fix/repair wont cost so much and will be much eaier.
Hope this helps,Thanx all for this site,best on the web!thanx and god bless.
charrliy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
wirenut699
AF Newbie

Re: cleaning your multi-function switch (LOTSA pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazee
Added to the FAQ.
I don't know if I've gone stupid, but I can not find this tutorial. When I use FAQ, it comes back "not found"

Can you post a link or PM me. Thanks

WHY IS THERE NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT RIGHT,
BUT ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT OVER?
wirenut699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
wirenut699
AF Newbie

DUH, found it on the next page, but it's not on the FAQ

WHY IS THERE NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT RIGHT,
BUT ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO IT OVER?
wirenut699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
aceinthecorner
AF Newbie

Great post, good directions, pictures ... thank you. I have been suffering from blinker clicking noise syndrome for nearly two years now. I cannot take it anymore and I pray that is this works with all my heart and soul.

I got it all apart and cleaned it best I could with Q tips and compressed air, but now when I try to re-assemble my turn signals do not work and I am quite sure why.

The cover seems to be tightly fitted, and when I set the arm up or down it seems to click into place. My Hazards function properly. Does the lower of the two little wheels set within white things need to be lined up and in contact with the brass strip? How is that 'Y' supposed to set in there? It does not seem like that complex of a piece.

I enjoy the silence actually, but I am not safe on the street without a signal, please if you can offer any advice or ideas as to the reassembly that might be causing the malfunction of the blinkers ... it would be sincerely appreciated. Please.
aceinthecorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
ZacKoch
AF Newbie

I just followed the instructions for my 2000 Jimmy SLE 4-door, and it worked great. The only thing that went wrong is I got antsy when I went to take the steering wheel column cover off, I broke the part where it screws to the column. After everything was put back together, a bit of super glue fixed that problem. (you can't tell that it has been glued) One problem I did come across, is that I couldn't find the damn clip for the airbag. I disconnected the battery, and pulled the fuse, but I didn't unplug the airbag. One of my dads friends broke his nose, and burned his face when he was screwing with a MultiSwitch because they airbag deployed. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. If anyone needs help I would be glad to help!
ZacKoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
h2oskier5
AF Newbie

I just replaced the heater core and just disconnected the battery.. no air bag lite off..

Did your airbag blow or was it your dads friend's aor bag on a different vehicle?

I'm getting a clicking flasher sound.. It goes off when you tap on the brake..
Do you think it's in the multi switch?

thanks
h2oskier5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
allangee
AF Newbie

Great forum, OUTSTANDING post! I wouldn't have had the courage to try without the instructions.

I inherited a 2003 Blazer. All was well at first, then relay started ticking intermittently when turn signal was off. Ticking became more frequent, and then about a week ago became constant.

Using this post as a starting point, I accessed and cleaned the multi-function switch. The procedure was basically the same (pulled steering wheel, dropped knee bolster, removed steering column cover, accessed switch) a few minor differences in number and location of fasteners. Results as follows.

SATURDAY -- accessed, cleaned, reassembled (about 4 hours total). Turned ignition on and ticking was still there. Very disappointing. Took it for a drive and ticking stopped occasionally, leading me to believe I did the right thing, just not thorough enough.

SUNDAY -- ticking is full time.

MONDAY -- experiencing short periods with no ticking.

TUESDAY -- sick, didn't go out all.

WEDNESDAY -- almost no ticking whatsoever.

Is it possible the alcohol I used to clean out the dielectric grease took a while to fully evaporate when mixed with the dielectric? Or perhaps my cleaning removed enough that after a couple of days of use it redistributed itself to a working level?

Anyway... looks good so far. If it returns, I believe I will use a can of contact cleaner after removing the bulk of crud with cotton swabs -- just for a more thorough flush.

I took notes and pics in case anyone thinks the slight differences merit a separate post. The only "major" thing I would add is if you have power windows and seats, lower all the windows and move the seat back as far as possible and recline it before discconecting the battery. It's nice to have the extra room and air circulation.
allangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
allangee
AF Newbie

UPDATE: Now I've noticed my autostart no longer works. Engine will turn over and fire, but not run.

AutoStart tech support thinks it's a data bypass module issue. Said I should disconnect the module, reconnect it, then start with the key. Only problem is the module is CRAMMED way up in the dash and buried behind wires.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #24
gm family guy
AF Newbie

I cleaned my switch and still heard the ticking sound go on and off. I further inspected it and it looked as though something was blown inside the switch so i bought a used one at the auto junk yard. I pulled it off a 2 door 2000 blazer. I have a 98 Jimmy 4 door, is it still compatible? I know the 00 is compatible with the 98 switch but not sure about if the 4 and 2 door matter or not.
gm family guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
allangee
AF Newbie

ANOTHER UPDATE

Did a lot of digging under the dash, only to find out the bypass module was tucked up under the steering column, just out of sight on the passenger (right hand) side. Once I found it, problem was obvious -- connector was half out.

Plugged the connector back in, started with the key. Everything is good.

Also, I cleaned the multifunction switch again, this time with lots of contact cleaner. Relay still clicks occasionally on its own, and often a quick double click when releasing the brake pedal, but a HUGE improvement over what it was.

At the very least, I bought some time before having to buy a new switch.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
allangee
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm family guy View Post
I cleaned my switch and still heard the ticking sound go on and off. I further inspected it and it looked as though something was blown inside the switch so i bought a used one at the auto junk yard. I pulled it off a 2 door 2000 blazer. I have a 98 Jimmy 4 door, is it still compatible? I know the 00 is compatible with the 98 switch but not sure about if the 4 and 2 door matter or not.
I can't give you a definite answer, but how about calling a parts place or dealership parts department and ask them what the part number is for both those years and models. If they're the same, you're definitely okay. You could also try some online parts places and check the part they bring up when you try both.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #27
viggy58
AF Regular

Here's the final steps to completely removing the multi-function switch, should it need to be replaced:

1. remove everything as described in the earlier steps
2. remove switch from column.
3. there are 2 small connectors on the pass. side of the column. on is green and plugs in towards the ignition switch. the other is black and plugs in near the back of the shifter. unplug these.
4. remove the sleeve from thh wires, cut any cable ties, and reove any tape that is holding the bundle together.
5. unplug the steering column mass connector. if you trace the wires you'll find it, right at the base of the column. A 7mm bolt holds it in. the bolt will back out a good ways, and bring the harnesses with it. a gentle tug will break the whole thing free. note: all of the dash harnesses (4 i believe) are conected together to make this one large harness.
6. the 2 longer harnesses belong to the multi switch. to get them out, look at the bottom of the harness (the side that goes into the mass connector). insert a small screwdriver between harness and the middle piece to push the harness past the retaining notch, then slide down. (do this with both harnesses).
7. remove the multi switch.
8. bolt in the new multi-switch (so it isnt just hanging).
9. install the harnesses into the mass connector thing. seat it, and tighten the 7mm bolt down.
10. install the 2 small harnesses for the ign switch and shifter. be mindful of where you run them, so the don't get pinched.
11. use cable ties, tape, or whatever to secure everything.
12. put everything else back together and test it.

hope this helps!
145k miles

1997 Pontiac Sunfire
2.2L automatic trans
146k miles
viggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #28
TurboMitch
AF Newbie

Just wanted to say thank you for this post. I've dealt with an continuous blinker relay noise for a year and a half. 30 minutes and it's gone. The silence is beautiful!
TurboMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Johnny_Utah
AF Newbie

I also would like to give props to whoever posted this. Less than 2 hours and kinda fun i am done and happy! I would add and maybe someone did but before you reassemble turn the car on to make it is gone. I also used a bit of compressed air to make sure it was dry in there. It is an older suburban (99) so its getting close to the end so i am not worried about grease at this point.

Again thanks!
Johnny_Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
joejoe22
AF Newbie

awesome post. i have a 2000 suburban with the non-stop blinker noise that goes away when I press the brakes. I read your post and followed the easy step by step directions and it worked perfectly! took about 90 minutes and that was with several interruptions. thanks for the great info and pics and for saving me several hundred $$$
joejoe22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info