Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
gentlejax2
AF Newbie

06 crankshaft bolt broke ? is this common with less than 60K ?

this is the continuation of my co-workers Sorento with 55K miles that suddenly died this week.

At firtst they said it was the timing belt...now they are saying the crankshaft bolt broke and part of it is stuck in the driveshaft...

they are going to do the timing belt now and charge her $100 labor .....and $120 for the part( I guess she was talking about the timing belt)

I dont think she should have to pay for any of it since its under warranty but am I wrong and are they stealing from her?

I feel like they are going to get paid for the repair by Kia and make extra off her and call it a bargain.....

if this is part of the crap shearing crankshaft bolt issue then the should pay for it all except the timing belt part...which she should pay...

I really just want to know if this is a common known issue with this car....

just trying to help her out
gentlejax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: 06 crankshaft bolt broke ? is this common with less than 60K ?

There was a recall on thee crank bolts. I the broken bolt is the root cause and the dealership knows it immediately get Kia corporate involved and raise hell I it is still under warranty. Sorry my phone does not like to type if for whatever reason.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Gah can't edit. The bolt should not have broken. Kia wont cover the belt If it isn't damaged. Repairs related to the broken bolt should be covered If the vehicle still has warranty. They do not break I they are the newer style bolt post recall unless they are overtigtened or incorrectly installed.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Blxcksunshine
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Blxcksunshine

My 2005 spectra5 had a similar problem, the crankshaft sensor broke and went into the motor...pretty much destroying the block.Lucky for me it was still under waranty and kia was happy to replace everything free of charge, including block new crank shaft oil pump...everything. good luck!
Blxcksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
FanscapeDerek
AF Newbie

Kia Optima New Hybrid Mythbusters App!

Hello!

I am working with Kia Motors to spread the word about Kia Optima’s new Hybrid Myth Busters Facebook app: http://on.fb.me/HybridMythBusters

The Hybrid Myth Busters app puts your hybrid knowledge to the test! You can take the quiz which consists of a series of questions related to common hybrid myths and you can even challenge your friends! Now you can finally confirm and deny the rumors you’ve heard about hybrid cars.

The Optima Hybrid is a stylish and value-packed vehicle and readers of AutomotiveForums.com will have the chance to learn more during their car shopping activities. For additional information about the Kia Optima Hybrid, please visit http://www.kia.com/optima-hybrid.

Happy Driving
Derek
FanscapeDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

When my tensioner broke I changed the timing belt and tensioner. The threads in the crankshaft were bad I run a tap into the crank shaft and cleaned the bolt.
The bolt threaded in by hand. I think the water pump had been replaced so I can't say how the threads were damaged. Its very easy to break a bolt if the threads were bad.
My alldata recommends changing the bolt every timing belt change. But bolts are not a problem with other companies vehicles.

Last edited by rhandwor; 12-14-2013 at 05:34 PM.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento