Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Commercial Trucks
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
back2life
AF Regular

HELP! 1994 ford f-superduty rides like crap on bumpy roads(wrecker body)

hi guys i need help bad! i just bought this truck recently and in the front end there is a problem. when i hit bumps it rides like a log wagon and hits hard and feels kinda loose,but the wheel is not shaking or shimmying. this vehicle has the leaf spring front end in it some ideas as to what to look for,as i thought it might be the spring bushings but they look solid to me. on smooth street its all good
back2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: HELP! 1994 ford f-superduty rides like crap on bumpy roads(wrecker body)

If you have leafs in front you likely have a straight front axle.
These trucks are commercial duty and have stiff front ends, a Lincoln they are not.
However, any looseness needs to be corrected. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you get underneath. Look for looseness in all the steering linkage joints and the steering box itself. (IMO Ford truck boxes are notorious for getting loose; they can be adjusted). Look to see ig the input shaft for the box moves when the Pitman arm on the bottom does not move.

Also check the ball joints (or king pins; I am not sure which set up ity has) for looseness.

Finally, look at the leaf spring mounts for deteriorated rubber bushings and cracked brackets. Inspect the leaf springs themselves for cracked/broken leafs.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
back2life
AF Regular

so basically it will ride rough anyway? but better once i get the items that have play in them taken care of? mysteering wheel is crooked,and i seen like nut,bolt and washer setup in the steering box like its been out recently. is kingpins what would be in the place of a ball joint?and also will shocks make it any better? thanks
back2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

You need to get a Haynes manual and go through the front end. Check the various parts. If your steering wheel is turned get a wheel alignment. They should check the various parts and tell you what needs replaced. If replacing parts yourself you definately need a manual.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
towjoe42
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to towjoe42

I also have a F450 Super duty with a Dynamic Wrecker box. It is a 1991. I had a similar problem, only if I hit a small bump or even a gap in the sections of the freeway bridge it would shimmy almost out of control.I had The shocks replaced and the rubber parts also. It seemed to help feel better on the road. But still would shimmy when you hit a small bump.
Next my front end shop replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends with ones that had grease fittings on them. They greased them real good and I have not had the shimmy problem in nine months.
I think all the advise given above is right on. It almost is a problem of something wearing out and getting loose.
Now that I am thinking about it, it is time to get the Chassis lubed again. Tow Joe
towjoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Commercial Trucks