Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
golfmaniac
AF Newbie

Smile windshield wiper arm removal?

Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and would greatly appreciate some help with a simple problem (at least it seemed simple until I tried it )

I am trying to remove the windshield wiper arms on my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3.
I lifted up the little cover which hides the nut/bolt and removed the nut, I figured the arm would just come off from the threaded bolt but neither arm would budge.
Is there a release lever or something I'm missing? Neither the nut or bolt was rusty and WD-40 didn't help.

many thanks!
golfmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
jfalkman
AF Newbie

Re: windshield wiper arm removal?

I have the same problem. Did you ever get the arms off? I need to replace the motor.
jfalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
golfmaniac
AF Newbie

Hi,

No, unfortunately I did not get a solution to this problem.

I did more research through my dealer and he said there are usually
some linkage type of mechanism in the wiper arm that would allow
it to be removed. I have not investigated this further, I just used
a workaround to do the job on the car at the time.

Sorry I could not be of more help, good luck with your wiper motor
replacement.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
jj8van
AF Newbie

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but this information is nearly impossible to find and this comes up at the top of a google search.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmaniac View Post
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and would greatly appreciate some help with a simple problem (at least it seemed simple until I tried it )

I am trying to remove the windshield wiper arms on my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3.
I lifted up the little cover which hides the nut/bolt and removed the nut, I figured the arm would just come off from the threaded bolt but neither arm would budge.
Is there a release lever or something I'm missing? Neither the nut or bolt was rusty and WD-40 didn't help.

many thanks!

To get the arms off: You can pull those little covers that hide the bolts right off and set them to the side. Remove the bolt underneath the covers on both sides. Make sure the wipers are sticking up in the air and not on your glass. They basically sit wedged on a cone and the bolt was there to hold it down. Even when you take that bolt off, they are still wedged super tight. I couldn't just pry them off, I had to tap (more like hit, as i was getting mad) them with a hammer on the sides a few times. This loosened it and then i was able to pry them and they popped right off. After you are done you just put them back on the cones and tighten the bolts down and put the covers back on. Mine are working perfectly now after fixing a broken link near the wiper motor.
jj8van is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jj8van For This Useful Post:
SeattleGearhead (09-04-2015)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
golfmaniac
AF Newbie

Thanks jj8van for your reply and solution, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Troy65
AF Newbie

Hi- I'm a 2000 Focus ZX3 Driver in Newfoundland, Canada. Those wiper arm splines are incredibly frustrating- I think the manufacturer uses "Locktite" when assembling.

In my province there can be much snow and salt used on the roads- wipers are an essential safety feature to merely keep the car on the road. So when a repair of the linkage is required (something Fords in general are famous for) it is essential to be able to access the components. Unfortunately, the only way I have succeeded with this vehicle is to either:1) use a propane torch to heat the wiper arm, expand it then use a hammer claw to 'jimmy' it loose. Downfall- risk of melting plastic cowling or crack windshield. Winter is most likely time of windshield linkage failure, so please do this method carefully, assuring no heat gets on windshield. If it does, CRACK. 2) cut the plastic cowling off as neatly as possible and live with the tear. Either fix or replace the linkage as a unit. Dealer price for the cowling is high...but if lucky, you might get a used one. Although most scrap yards don't bother saving the cowling, as all Focus's are &^%&* to get the wiper arm's off.

Hope this helps!
Troy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Tricium
AF Newbie

Hi guys, what you need is a gadget called a "puller". There are several types depending on intended use. Google it to see for yourselves.

Saludos from Chile.
Tricium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
ctabacchi
AF Newbie

I just removed mine 2 days ago, I used a gear puller, once it "pops" it'll come right off.

Thats the only way I was able to get them off. Be sure to mark with a paint pen so you put them on the right way.

Have fun.
ctabacchi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max