Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
MYMONTECARLO
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 monte carlo ss noise in frt end

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and I also have a clunking (barely audible) but can feel it sometimes in the brake pedal and when you turn.. I had it cheked (for $36.00) and they tell me that the steering column needs to be taken apart and lubed and that it is not a safety issue and that to do that will cost another $75.00. I am waiting now, does anyone else have a different input or suggestion?? Thank you, Marcus
MYMONTECARLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #17
jeremey m
AF Newbie

i have a 05 ls and am experiencing the same problem! i also had to replace my water pump at 38000 miles.i love chevy but,thier not makin"em like the used too....
jeremey m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

There is a known issue with your car's steering column shaft that will exhibit the symptoms you describe. I'm not sure if just lubing it will fix it or not, the intermediate shaft may need replacing.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
MYMONTECARLO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbroberts
i have a 2001 mc ss and it has a noise in frt end feels like in the steering column but not sure. any one heard of this or had one fixed???????
I have the same dilemma, took it to where I bought it when I had it serviced and they told me the steering column needs to be taken apart and greased, they also charged me over 30 dollars for this. Do you have any more input? Please mail me at marcus_prindle2001@yahoo.com thank you, Marcus
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
MYMONTECARLO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
There is a known issue with your car's steering column shaft that will exhibit the symptoms you describe. I'm not sure if just lubing it will fix it or not, the intermediate shaft may need replacing.
That was also my concern that lubing it alone would not cure the problem maybe just cover it up for a short time, they did say it is not a safety issue though..
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #21
MYMONTECARLO
AF Newbie

Re: SS Front end noise

Wow, well I took mine in and they told me (After looking for 6 hrs) that they thought it was the intermediate shaft needed lube! And I got charged $36. to find that out and then it would cost me another $75.00 to have it lubed! To have all that work done on a car with 10,000 miles seems a bit much, mine has closer to 60,000 now but I bought it with 37,000. Didn't you have any kind of extended warranty? Mail me if you feel like it at marcus_prindle2001@yahoo.com thanks,
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #22
MYMONTECARLO
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo2001
Check the fluid level of your power steering. It's a pain in the butt to get to but mine was giving the creaking sound when I turned and hit the brakes. Looked into it and it was completely dry. Don't think it had ever been filled. They check the fluid levels at the dealership during and oil change...my ass! I had just gotten one and I started getting that noise. Have fun finding the thing. If you give up, let me know. Hint: Have to take the cross-stabilizer off.
I took a look without getting on the floor, I couldn't see a thing!
I guess I will ask them about this on my next visit, thank you for the input, Marcus

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo