Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
wam1
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1997 Monte Carlo Fuel Injectors.....Recall?

Hello,Can anyone tell me if there was a recall on fuel injectors on the '97 Monte Carlo?My engine keeps misfiring and after replacing plugs,wires,02 sensor,fuel pressure regulator and having the dealership clean the injectors,my car keeps misfiring.Can anyone help?Thanks much!!!
wam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
zeroboarder
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Yeah, I have the same problem in my 96 monte carlo, i have replaced one of the fuel injectors and changed other parts that autozone told me to change and it is still misfiring
zeroboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
wam1
AF Newbie

Unhappy Misfire.

I wonder if we need new fuel pumps.Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
SaveTheMontes
AF Newbie

Misfires huh? I wonder if that is what I'm experiencing....does the speed consistently increase and the slightly back off and then once again stabilize? Sadly, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so I hope that description makes some sort of sense. the other problems I'm having (besides a sewing machine of an engine) are: Upon startup the engine makes a ticking sound...almost seems that the oil isn't getting up fast enough as when it warms up it goes away....but it is slowly getting louder....sounds like a diesel in winter too! Another problem is something sounds loose in the front end yet visibly nothing can be seen underneath....? It makes me nervous as I had a ball joint crap out on me and as you can imagine when it popped out....the guts behind it came as well. Chevy really shouldn't have cheaped out with those rubber non-greasable nipples because they way I drive sometimes I could have easily rolled the car when that happened.
SaveTheMontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
wam1
AF Newbie

No,my car does not have your symptoms.My car misfires when trying to start it.It seems if I put the key in and start it real quick thats when it misfires.But when I turn the key,let the fule pump kick in for 2 seconds then crank it over the car will start.Right now its been running fine but every once in awhile the misfire happens and it really ticks me off.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
monte7
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: 1997 Monte Carlo Fuel Injectors.....Recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam1
No,my car does not have your symptoms.My car misfires when trying to start it.It seems if I put the key in and start it real quick thats when it misfires.But when I turn the key,let the fule pump kick in for 2 seconds then crank it over the car will start.Right now its been running fine but every once in awhile the misfire happens and it really ticks me off.
My car misfires. I replaced fuel injector 5, wires and plugs. Started up again and this time it is #4. I wonder what it could be? 02 sensor? Fuel filter? Computer???? Pump.... 99 monte 3.1... any help would be great!
monte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
ffgus
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 Monte Carlo Fuel Injectors.....Recall?

My friends 99 pont 3.4 had misfire on #6, replaced injector on #6. Now he has misfire on #3. Should he replace #3 injector? When does it end?
ffgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
DJ_4_life03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DJ_4_life03
when my 1997 monte carlo started misfiring it was fuel injector #6. shortly after i changed that one it started misfiring again. so far i changed all of my fuel injectors and the car is running fine now. once you have one that goes bad the rest of them are gonna go bad soon. the best thing to do is change them all at once and not one by one.
DJ_4_life03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #9
ffgus
AF Newbie

Does anyone think that the reformulated gasoline, 10% ethenol, the we use in southeastern Wisconsin has anything to do with injector failure? This is my second vehicle to experience injector problems.
ffgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
DJ_4_life03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DJ_4_life03

i just checked and there were no recalls on the fuel injectors unfortunately. I would have gotten my money back for changing them.
DJ_4_life03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:16 AM   #11
dwalmop
AF Enthusiast

I have heard from a few mechanics that the 10% ethanol is really hard on injectors, so I (as a wisconsin resident) only go to gas stations that do not have ethanol added to their gas. And for all who replace only one injector at a time, I'd suggest just doing them all at once, because it will end up costing you more in the long run to replace them all individually, since they pretty much will all go bad.
dwalmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #12
MonteCarlo2001
AF Newbie

What engine is that? Please don't say the 3.4 DOHC........ I had a z34 Lumina w/ that and had to replace the injectors, even though they were NOT recalls.
MonteCarlo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #13
jrozanc
AF Regular

I had '98 Monte Carlo with the 3.1L. I went through more fuel injectors than you can shake a stick at. My uncle who works at the dealership that sold me the car also had a '96 I believe with the 3.4L. He said he went through 3 dozen injectors before he finally got a set that didn't clog up. God knows why he would sell me a car with problems. His theory on the injector clog was the weather and a design flaw. Most of my injectors failed during cold wet weather (rain, snow, dramtic temp changes). Since he moved out to Vegas (dry warm climate) he hasn't had any problems? Anybody have any other idea's.
jrozanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #14
SaveTheMontes
AF Newbie

[quote=jrozanc] I had '98 Monte Carlo with the 3.1L. I went through more fuel injectors than you can shake a stick at.

Can you describe to me how you know when the injectors are failing? I had my injectors cleaned (by Midas) 2 years ago and the one thing they suggested is use the injector cleaner once a month so theoretically mine should be clean. I have learned that it is very rare to find any service shop that can actually test injectors properly. By that I mean when injectors are tested the test consists of measuring how they are spraying...good luck finding a shop or dealership that even does it. Most places will tell you one thing but they may be full of crap too. The other problem I have is when I start my vehicle it makes a ticking noise...I'm guessing the lifters but when putting a stethoscope on it sounds like it could be close to where the injectors are...have you heard of any other Monte owners describing that ticking? It goes away after warming up for about 5 minutes. My guess is a weak oil pump or bad lifter. As far as a relative selling you a car with problems...I doubt he knew because most Monte owners don't have these problems so I doubt he even knew it would surface. By the way, how much did it cost you to replace the injectors? They don't have any warranty??
Old 11-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #15
SaveTheMontes
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1997 Monte Carlo Fuel Injectors.....Recall?

I've seen a website talk about something that should have been recalled...I think it's called GM-V6 lemons...after all the publicity it got GM actually did recall a part....maybe we should lobby them to recall the injectors if this many people have this kind of feedback...the dumb buggers should have put performance parts in a full size car to begin with...anything less than 3.8l supercharged in these cars is an insult to the name...I think the Earnhardts would agree with that!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo