Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 08:40 PM   #16
lddoren
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lddoren Send a message via Yahoo to lddoren
I got it fixed today. The outside shielding to the connector that goes to the oxygen sensor in the back had been worn through. The "wire" was running between the transmission dipstick (I think that was what it was called) and a piece of metal. Over time, the outside shielding was rubbed off and the wires were exposed. The exposed wires would arc and blow the fuse. Took an excellent service manager at the local City Garage about an hour to find the exposed wire. The wear was so far up that it would have taken a dealership shop forever to find it. After the shielding was repaired, he redirected the "wire" so that it wouldn't get caught in that bad location again.

$220 and my car is running excellent :-)
lddoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #17
wags_31
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 1996 Monte Carlo Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl
I own a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34. I bought the car (1998) becasue I have had good luck with Chevys and I was excited about the power and comfort. To my dismay, this car spends more time in the shop than it does on the road. Everything under the hood has gone on the vehicle including plugs (changed out 5 times so far), sensors, timing belt, air pumps (3 of them). It has incurred a "Misfire" code 7 times now. When researched, the findings were "misfire from the 6th cylinder". I have been to the chevy dealer on the average once a month since I have owned this vehicle since 1998. The car has 74,100 miles on it. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with this car, why the misfire code keeps coming on, etc? I have an extended warrenty that is going to run out it about 800 miles. I can not afford the shop visits on this thing after that. Please help!
hey, i hate to tell ya but Z34's have more problems than any other car out there. The 3.4 V6 is a high maintainence nightmare. They might be fast, but its just not worth it. If you wanted a Monte, there is no doubt that you should have gone with the LS. Sorry, your only problem with the car is the car.
wags_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:55 AM   #18
timg
AF Newbie

That's just not correct. The 3.4 DOHC really isn't a high maintenance engine. The weaknesses are the alternator(most go around 100k miles- same as most other cars) and the timing belt. The timing belt is a wear item and should be replaced every 60k miles. The 3.1 and 3.4 are both based on the same block, to say one is more reliable than the other is simply not true. Some shared problems with the 3.1 and 3.4 are the dist o-ring oil leak and the problems with intake manifold gaskets sealing. If you really want a low maintenance Monte, the best bet is the 3.8L Z34 from 98-99.

My 3.4 has 135k miles on it now, I've replaced the timing belt once and the alternator once. I haven't had any problems other than that. For the last 15k miles, I've been running 7 psi of boost from a turbo with no problem. If you perform routine maintenance(like you should on every engine), the 3.4 is a VERY strong motor. Stock I had 50 more horsepower than a LS, now I have over double the horsepower of the LS. I think I'll take the 3.4 and deal with timing belt changes every 60k.

Tim
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #19
carywinton
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to carywinton Send a message via AIM to carywinton Send a message via MSN to carywinton Send a message via Yahoo to carywinton Send a message via Skype™ to carywinton
Thumbs up Re: 1996 Monte Carlo Z34

I too own a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 and I have done a lot of recent research on it. One of the interesting things I discovered related to the PCM. It seems to have "logic" problems with the sensors. Where as a sensor can send just one intermittent signal and the PMC's logic thinks it's a continuous problem. So, I started researching another brand of PCM, and found this.
http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A2601749.aspx
It's a High Performance PCM made by Jet Performance Products. I plan on getting one as soon as my funds will allow. I am also going to invest in a ODB II scan tool, not the one's sold at autoparts stores, although they may be fine, I found one I can hook up to my laptop which will give me the exact same capabilities and read outs that any dealer can do at the same cost as the autoparts version http://www.obdpros.com/product_info.php?products_id=133
Now with this diagnostics aresonal and a far improved PCM and regular maintenance I hope to avoid or at least decrease the horror stories I am reading in this thread. My biggest fear now is replacing the timing belt on the DOHC Interferace type monster. :o)
carywinton is offline   Reply With Quote