Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
lucki17
AF Regular

how much do turbo kits vary?

i want to boost my engine. i was looking at peicing together my own kit and it will cost around $2700 give or take, so i looked at kits for the 240, that wasnt much better, then out of curiousity i looked at kits for preludes and other cars (mainly honda's) and they can be had on ebay for $1000-$2000 and thats for a good greddy kit i was wondering if i could buy that, buy a differant manifold and have a turbo set up that is cheap and ready to go. would this work? if not why?
lucki17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
LaYzIeNoY
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to LaYzIeNoY
don't try that idea of getting a kit for some other car espcially another company

about the only thing that wouldwork for you is the turbo and filter, which costs like 1000 depending

you would need the manifold, gaskets, piping, etc. etc.

you would only be wasting money with that idea, you would be better off just building your own kit i think, because it would possibly cheaper that way and you could choose the proper set up for your needs
LaYzIeNoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
lucki17
AF Regular

yeah thats what i thought the answer would be, oh well. so much for a cheaper turbo kit.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
Autofreefindersguy
Banned

Re: how much do turbo kits vary?

Keep thinking, its time well spent...More power & cheaper power!
Good luck/skill and let us know what you find...I have been thinking Turbo for some time too...
Autofreefindersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
LaYzIeNoY
AF Regular

I've assembled a kit for around 5000 dollars, it seems to be around 350rwhp or more depending on boost levels

the thing is that i included FMIC, throttle body, cams, valvetrain shit [springs,rocker arm stoppers], all new gaskets, metal head gasket, head studs, exhuast manifold, injectors, ecu upgrade to controll, Z32 mafs,

that is about everything short of the internals, bottom end

alot of the things that i added arent even 100% required but it would be a good idea

boost controller would also need to be used in order to get best power from this set up but i feel its a decent enough deal considering what i added to it
Old 11-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

You can make a kit for less than 2k. Just get a lot of used parts and search ebay. Remember you don't need an intercooler or injectors/fuel computer if you run 5psi. 5psi makes a world of difference, trust me! If you don't have an LSD, 5psi will give you traction problems up to 35mph.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
LaYzIeNoY
AF Regular

that is true
the price for a small turbo upgrade would be around there and if you only want to run that low of a boost then you don't need alot of the things that i included in my kit

i'm looking toward 350 to 400 rwhp, only reason that my setup costs as much as it does
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzIeNoY
that is true
the price for a small turbo upgrade would be around there and if you only want to run that low of a boost then you don't need alot of the things that i included in my kit

i'm looking toward 350 to 400 rwhp, only reason that my setup costs as much as it does
The stock valvetrain is actually pretty beefy. And just to let you know, KAs don't have rockers so rocker arm stoppers are N/A. Throttle body is unnecessary. Stock head gasket is preferable in some cases. The theory is a head gasket is cheaper, easier, and better to replace than a set of pistons or possibly rods and/or a block. It holds about 22psi of boost which is right at about 350whp. Thats your call. Cams are not necessary and can be a costly mistake if not sized properly. Too much overlap and you can have serious EGT problems and bad backfiring problems. 2000F EGTs are not your friend and neither are explosions in the turbo manifold or turbine housing. You will be replacing turbine wheels monthly along with your exhaust valves. Boost controller is necessary considering I have never seen a wastegate spring go to 20psi of boost. Don't worry about any of that shit. Your best investment will be a properly sized turbocharger, proper lubrication of the turbo, proper fuel control, proper timing control, proper boost control, and proper TUNING. You can never stress tuning enough. The most important part of building a car designed for any level of performance is tuning. You can blow a stock KA if it is not tuned properly. A stock KA can hold 400WHP and run 11.7s if it is tuned properly. READ everything you can about turbos and tuning.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
lucki17
AF Regular

5k seems like alot to me, im pretty happy with what i have put together, i should have at least 300hp, thats plenty for me, i could put a list of eveything i plan on getting but that takes awile and im lazy, plus im not sure everyone wants to hear it. but all together its $2,435, and they arent shitty parts they are pretty good, ive done alot of research on turbos and kits and all the stuff that you should when turboing, im completly ready to turbo, i just lack the funds. oh well. hopefully in 5 months or so ill be able to start on it. by the way im turboing a sohc not a dohc so parts are a little harder to come by but its cool, if it blows ill be getting a sohc.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX