Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 11:54 AM   #31
an1malch1n
AF Newbie

Philo...there isn't any reason to get mad.

But what Ian and offroadX have said is true.

Just cranking up the t-bars will help relieve rubbing becuase of the pre-load you have on your t-bars. I.e. making it harder for it to "stuff" the tire into the wheel well. I guarantee if you were to jump your truck to make sure you are getting all the susp travel used up you would end up with the same amount of rub as the person that hasn't cranked his t-bars.

You haven't really altered anything. The position of the wheel at full tuck is the same whether you cranked the t-bars or not.

Sorry man. I see what you are saying but Ian is right.
an1malch1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 12:08 PM   #32
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Originally posted by an1malch1n
Philo...there isn't any reason to get mad.

I'm not mad, just tired of debating something that started out as one small question and ended up being a thread on 2 different boards - partly my fault of course, but nonetheless ridiculous. This all started when I said: "Twisting the torsion bars is (part of) a 'poor man's lift' and enables you to run 32" tires under an Xterra whereas without doing that you can only fit 31's. I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to point out the logic." posted 10-18-2001 11:32 AM in XOC under Hardcore 4WD, topic named "Which lift first".

Anyone who wants to put 32's under an X without cranking the t-bars, have at it.

Sorry man. I see what you are saying but Ian is right.

Okay, Ian is right. :bonghitte
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 12:25 PM   #33
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Exclamation

I think both points are valid.

Yes you can put 32's without mods on a Xterra if you're going to park it on a meadow. (my opinioin, but all the rubbing would drive me nuts, much like my SSR's with an ARB and Winch. Only getting heavier duty torsion bars stopped this).

Adjusting the torsion bars doesn't limit physical travel, but pre-loads the bars so your larger tires have less of a tendency to rub against your upper fender.

Ian's definition of "fit" is if they're in there.

Philo's definition of "fit" is if you can drive offroad with a minimum of rubbing.

Any dissention with the above statement? Please provide your final opinions and I'm going to lock this thread.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:39 PM   #34
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
Philo's definition of "fit" is if you can drive offroad with a minimum of rubbing.

Offroad or even onroad over potholes or small bumps.

Sorry Schlud, didn't mean to make a mess of this.

I'll go back to my bong now ...
Old 10-24-2001, 01:12 PM   #35
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I don't mind the debate. :licker:

It just seems everything has been said now.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:14 PM   #36
xoc
AF Enthusiast

One last question Mike.
Define "fender".

Are you saying the tire is hitting the sheet metal of the fender, or do you mean the plastic trim on the bumper, or the mud flap ?

Here are 2 pictures showing a tire stuffed as far as it will go, both taken at the same time on an RTI ramp.

The tire still has a lot of room to the fender, even if the wheel was turned.

This shows the compression of the lower bumpstop. I'm running a shorter poly bumpstop now, and still don't come near the fender.

Mike, you yourself posted a picture (from the area shown on your MAXC bio page), of "major stuffage" and there was still clearance.

Where exactly does it rub ?
Old 10-24-2001, 05:01 PM   #37
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
The only place I've rubbed is the plastic liner at the upper front of the wheel well, bascially just under and behind air intake.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 05:08 PM   #38
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
The only place I've rubbed is the plastic liner at the upper front of the wheel well, bascially just under and behind air intake.
Same here, and also one of the push-pins that hold the rear of liner on, but only the passenger side. Certainly not tearing off a fender.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:55 AM   #39
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc
One last question Mike.
Define "fender".

Are you saying the tire is hitting the sheet metal of the fender, or do you mean the plastic trim on the bumper, or the mud flap ?

The areas that can be contacted / torn up by 32's = the stock front bumper (or even an ARB as some have found out), the fender lip moulding, the wheel well lining, the stock 'mudflap' in the rear of the front wheel well.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:02 AM   #40
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc

This shows the compression of the lower bumpstop. I'm running a shorter poly bumpstop now, and still don't come near the fender.

No upper bump stops at all?

I also ran the Energy Suspension Low-Profile Bump Stops on the lower control arm for a while but removed them because they were just too short and I kept bottoming out.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:03 AM   #41
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

Read my last paragraph 4 posts up. Did you crank your torsion bars up a bit to fit your 32" KO's Brent?

Didn't want to answer me Brent?
Old 10-25-2001, 12:08 PM   #42
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

I started to, but I couldn't come up with a good way to phrase it. I guess the best way to say it is I made a half-assed attempt but started cranking backwards. By the time it was all over, I don't think I ended up adding any height. The ad-hoc measurements I took before, during, and after didn't really indicate a change. Seeing how it was the night before I left for Shamokin, I didn't have time to really do it right. However, in the 2 days between getting them mounted and attempting the tweak, I didn't get any rubbing around town (and I was testing for it).

Brent
Old 10-25-2001, 12:28 PM   #43
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
I started to, but I couldn't come up with a good way to phrase it. I guess the best way to say it is I made a half-assed attempt but started cranking backwards. By the time it was all over, I don't think I ended up adding any height. The ad-hoc measurements I took before, during, and after didn't really indicate a change. Seeing how it was the night before I left for Shamokin, I didn't have time to really do it right. However, in the 2 days between getting them mounted and attempting the tweak, I didn't get any rubbing around town (and I was testing for it).

Brent
Use your ESM and take the measurements Ian posted here. At least you can find out where in the spec you fall.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:51 PM   #44
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher
No upper bump stops at all?
It's there. Bad photo angle
Old 10-25-2001, 03:17 PM   #45
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
Use your ESM and take the measurements Ian posted here. At least you can find out where in the spec you fall.
Ian posted the diagram, why do I need my ESM?

Brent