Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 02:37 PM   #16
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
Your right Brent it shouldn't since all you did was add taller tires that effectively increased your ground clearance...everything went up...but to run 32's we all adjusted the torsion bars so i guess the answer would be no with 31's.
Oh yeah, you're right. There was something in the back of my head that was saying it doesn't work that way, but oh well...not enough caffeine yet.

What if you put a 4 ton rock on your truck would that help?
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:40 PM   #17
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang
Lugnut,

Don't "save the group from this question again". These questions are what this forum is about.

Absolutely! I don't want people to be afraid of asking questions here on the board. I was impressed by all the information that was given to Lugnut in a helpful manner.

Keep it up.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:49 PM   #18
Lugnut
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

Absolutely! I don't want people to be afraid of asking questions here on the board. I was impressed by all the information that was given to Lugnut in a helpful manner.

Keep it up.
Agree, glad to see all of the helpful input instead of the typical "watcha talk'n 'bout fool" responses found in other forums.

Lug
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:36 PM   #19
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Quote:
Originally posted by Lugnut
typical "watcha talk'n 'bout fool" responses found in other forums.
Yep. It is amazing what proper English can do for your credibility.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:53 PM   #20
jnapier
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jnapier
geometry

Maybe Schlud was talking about running 31's up front and 32's in the back --Then that would reduce the cv joint stress

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
Your right Brent it shouldn't since all you did was add taller tires that effectively increased your ground clearance...everything went up...but to run 32's we all adjusted the torsion bars so i guess the answer would be no with 31's.
jnapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 07:50 PM   #21
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
One of the things I like about this site is the higher level of discussions going on. Instead of analyzing the fit of floor mats, we are discussing the virtues of one lift kit vs. another and comparing each others serious modifications to come up with ideas. I was taken to task recently by a newbie on one bulletin board for the rarity of my posts there. I only look for topics that truly interest me. I am not interested in speculation on whether 38" tires can be feasibly fit on an X or whether the Husky Liner mats are cut correctly. I am here because I have found a group of people who are as serious about how their truck performs both on road and off as I am. To me that is important. I have off-roaded with some of you and highly respect your abilities. I think that in itself is testimony to the quality of this board. If you are serious about your truck, this is the place to be.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 12:00 AM   #22
gothamist
AF Regular

Thumbs up Yeah, this board is definitely appreciated.

This has become by far my favorite board for information...Voy/ITW is still the best for flame wars, but I too am quite appreciative of Schlud's efforts to make this board a useful resource.

The fact we're all a little crazy definitely helps, too.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:11 AM   #23
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Kudos to Ian!

I really enjoy using this board! You don't get flamed for asking questions or "Go use search FNG!"
You get answers clearly and concisely. :flash:
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:11 AM   #24
Whistler!
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Whistler!
Cool I Agree with Ian & Rick...

I totally agree with Ian & Rick...Other boards hammer you if you seem to ask the wrong question and then post it...Sometimes, I wish it had a spellchecker...
Whistler! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 03:38 AM   #25
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Exclamation

Thanks guys,

Glad this is working well for everyone, but let's end the cudos before I have to trim this thread again.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:24 PM   #26
gothamist
AF Regular

Hey lugnut

I was thinking about what I did and what I've learned from it, and if I had to do it over again, I would probably do this:

1. Get stiffer torsion bars, f&r shocks, and add-a-leafs
2. Worry about the other mods (assuming tires are taken care of, skids, sliders, bumpers, etc.)
3. Then look into the upper a-arms/balljoints/etc.

I know you want everything in a kit form, but honestly I am glad I had the flexibility to do the mods in the order I did (be it due to personal choice or trail damage...)

You can also wheel your truck very very well with just the first set of suspension mods listed, many of us have done/are doing that right now (the whole modified MAXC group, for one...and trust me, when we wheel hard, we get it ON!)
Old 08-03-2001, 12:38 PM   #27
Lugnut
AF Newbie

Gothamist...this is perfect feedback and exactly what I was looking for. After trolling several groups and messages for a while it seemed that a lot of the wheelers were doing it this way...step by step...which is why I asked early on how important was it for some of the components.

I may just go ahead and order the aal & t-bars today (btw, the t-bar install guide is muy bueno and will make the job much easier). Now if I could just find some of those old Pathy aluminum rims at a decent price (with center caps!) this would be a good Friday.

Thanks to everyone.

:ylsuper
Old 08-03-2001, 01:23 PM   #28
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Lugnut
Now if I could just find some of those old Pathy aluminum rims at a decent price (with center caps!) this would be a good Friday.

You mean these rims? Or are you looking for the OLD Pathy rims?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ttt @ caw2small.jpg (36.1 KB, 206 views)
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 01:28 PM   #29
Lugnut
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

You mean these rims? Or are you looking for the OLD Pathy rims?

Yes, the "old" ones from '88 or so. For whatever reason I've always liked them and think they'd look good on the X. Have found some in the past but they were either pretty beat up and/or missing center caps. Called on an ad yesterday but haven't got a return call yet.

Lug
Old 01-16-2002, 06:48 PM   #30
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
Lugnut said:

Quote:
FSRBiker's comment is the type of thing I'm trying to get cleared up in my mind. I've sifted through over a hundred posts (Mosi, Synchro, SgtLobo, Gothamist, etc.) to gather info and it seems that everyone has a different approach. Me thinks I should put together a matrix to simplify the selection process and save the group from this question again. I tried to find the 4 wheel mag mentioned but it was already gone off the stands @ a couple places...but the new question is what is the difference between say SLR/AC and Calmini such that travel IS increased?
to bring this up again, FSR's is the only mention I have seen about this. Where else is it documented? I looked in the 4WD&SUV article and there's nithing that mentions it. So I want to know, what physically limits the Calmini A arms and hi angle ball joints?