Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 10:38 PM   #16
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Wow, I hadn't heard that about the Thornbirds (not that I had heard anything good either). What about the Goodyear MT-R's? They're kinda pricey, but has anyone seen any reviews of them?
Chris_McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 02:39 AM   #17
gothamist
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: bumper[s]?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_McCracken
The mechanics of installing a 3" body lift should be pretty similar to 2", but perhaps with brake/misc lines needing to be extended (as far as I can tell). The *really* expensive part will be the tires/new wheels needed (Thornbirds look nice too).
Yes and no. You have to do A LOT more work to install the 3" Performance Accessories kit in your truck, whereas a 1.5-2" kit fits in with much less hassle. This is why I decided to be the guinea pig for SLR's 2" kit--I didn't want to extend the shifters, the front brakelines, the fuel filler neck, mess w/ the steering shaft, etc. 2" will clear my 32x11.50" SSR's (or really should) just fine, and that's all I need--going to 33's for me will entail regearing (and probably lockers then, too), and by then hopefully we'll have more lift kits out there that actually help us clear larger tires (i.e. suspension lifts.)
Old 07-11-2001, 08:26 AM   #18
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Two things...

The pucks aren't nearly as large diameter as the original mounts. Any concern with them deforming the sheet metal above them?

I'll be very interested to see how someone comes up with a way to re-bracket the ARB. I don't see an obvious way to deal with the lower mount.

Also, that shot with Mark underneath ought to be saved as a reference for the cabin vent in the RR fender, clearly visible.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 08:43 AM   #19
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
Quote:
Wow, I hadn't heard that about the Thornbirds (not that I had heard anything good either). What about the Goodyear MT-R's? They're kinda pricey, but has anyone seen any reviews of them?
well then lets qualify what kind of tire you are looking for then. is it for show, for sand, for mud, for rocks, to be used as a daily driver, or are you getting a spare set of wheels so you can swap out the street tires when you go wheeling.

that article i am refering to above does talk about the MT-Rs if memory serves. they rated fairly well. the list of super swampers rated better though.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 08:48 AM   #20
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro

well then lets qualify what kind of tire you are looking for then. is it for show, for sand, for mud, for rocks, to be used as a daily driver, or are you getting a spare set of wheels so you can swap out the street tires when you go wheeling.
Mainly for rocks and mud (50-50). They will be used as a daily driver, but consideration does not need to be made for that. I'm running 32x11.50 BFG MT's now. They are better than any other tire I've had (AT/KO's and "All-Season"), but if I'm going to pay that much to go up to larger one, I want the best.
Chris_McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 10:16 AM   #21
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Quote:

Mainly for rocks and mud (50-50). They will be used as a daily driver, but consideration does not need to be made for that. I'm running 32x11.50 BFG MT's now. They are better than any other tire I've had (AT/KO's and "All-Season"), but if I'm going to pay that much to go up to larger one, I want the best.
Considering what you have said here, I would think that a set of 32X11.50X15 Super Swamper SSR's are in your future. They actually measure around 32.5 inches tall, essentially a 33" tire. They have siping for wet weather traction and are more aggressive than the BFG MT's. Pikachu, Schludwiller, and Gothamist all run SSR's.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:32 AM   #22
gothamist
AF Regular

[quote]Originally posted by OffroadX
Two things...

The pucks aren't nearly as large diameter as the original mounts. Any concern with them deforming the sheet metal above them?

The body mounts themselves are only reinforced in a small square that matches up to (roughly) the size of the pucks, so I think it should be okay. I'll keep you posted though.

Also, that shot with Mark underneath ought to be saved as a reference for the cabin vent in the RR fender, clearly visible.

Interestingly enough, if I'm on the passenger side and slam the last door of the truck shut, I can watch the vents open up and then close again w/ the pressure wave. Kinda amusing for about 30 seconds.

As to the ARB bracketing, basically you have to cut the lower mount off and then weld in brackets to the ARB (well, I guess you could bolt them, but I don't want two sets of bolts holding the bracket to the bumper and the bracket to the frame.) Todd and I plan to brace the whole thing by running angle iron across the front, basically to replace the crossmember that was removed (the one that spans the front of the frame.) I'm going to have to say goodbye to my ARB skidplate, sadly...
Old 07-11-2001, 12:28 PM   #23
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

I am sure we will be able to modify your skidplate to work...if not make a new one. You are so right about not adding more bolted pieces to the ARB.... the plan is to cut the ARB mount portion off then fabricate and weld on a new mount that will be tied together side to side that will bolt on to the factory locations...maybe more but we will see when it all starts coming together. The idea is for it to be winch compatible and even stronger than just the stock ARB and how it mounts. I will be making drawings of the work and will be able to fabricate more for anyone that runs a body lift...if you are running a 1" or 3" body lift the design will work for those as well with a slight change.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 12:31 PM   #24
gothamist
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
What size AT's are you running there? If they are 32's, have you had any rubbing problems like the SSR's (pre-body lift)? They're like 1/10" larger.
The AT's are 275/70R16's, 31.3" tall (when new) per BFG, so about halfway between 31's and 32's. They rubbed the ARB, which is why I initially trimmed it, but other than that they don't rub much at all (and when they do, it's not destructive like the SSR's.)

Part of the reason I decided to body lift is that my Swampers rub my ARB (the amount we took off the first time wasn't enough, I was wrong...) Rather than trim that back again, and then deal w/ the tires rubbing in the fenderwell, I decided to just get it all up out of the way. This also gives me a bit more time to let the dust settle in the suspension lift issue--if Mosi doesn't snap tierods left and right, perhaps the AC partial lift is an option...definitely more economically feasible for me right now than SLR's or Calmini's or Rancho's. (Especially since I just sunk a bunch of money into my other hobby, audio...my microphone collection is growing again... .)

p.s. BTW--1/10" larger than what??
Old 07-11-2001, 01:22 PM   #25
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist
Interestingly enough, if I'm on the passenger side and slam the last door of the truck shut, I can watch the vents open up and then close again w/ the pressure wave. Kinda amusing for about 30 seconds.
I often hear mine "cough" as I close the door when I'm on the passenger side.

Brent
Old 07-11-2001, 01:57 PM   #26
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist

p.s. BTW--1/10" larger than what??
The 32" BFG AT's looked just a bit bigger than my 31" SSR's.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 02:01 PM   #27
gothamist
AF Regular

Schlud--gotcha

Now I understand grasshopper!
Old 07-12-2001, 03:59 PM   #28
packman
AF Newbie

Talking Body lift

The whole process seems pretty straight forward, but how exactly are you going to get the bumpers realigned? I wanted to do a bodylift and that is the only thing that is stopping me. With my luck everything would come out crooked.
packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 08:31 PM   #29
Aquabro
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Aquabro
Cool 33 12.5

Hey guys i'm new here but i have an Xterra that I'm putting a 3' body lift and 1-2' torsion and throwing 33 12.5 mud tracs under it...fit or not? Putting it on this week will send pictures
Aquabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:12 PM   #30
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

A 3 foot body lift should clear those tires no problem.

Sounds like you've already gone ahead and made up your mind and ordered the stuff, so what difference does it make now if it will fit or not?

Brent

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail