Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 12:36 AM   #46
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Xlax

.....I did my home work, it is perfect for me, I love it and I am keeping it......so end of story.
I can't agree more. well except that last part if it were "end of story" there wouldn't be any reason to have a discussion board about Xterras
RticQl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:47 AM   #47
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Re: WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8

And no its not "all about torque for fourwheeling" It depends on the type of wheeling you do. Torque is great for rock crawling trails and hill climbing but wont do shit for you in the sand or a mudhole.
Having fun arguing with you.

But if we're still talking Freelander vs Xterra the gearing while in Lo with the Xterra gives you plenty of power for spinning the wheels. Most of the time I see people having problems because they're giving their Xterra too much gas. If you have paddle tires maybe the HP will help, but who hits things that fast to keep the wheels moving. I would agree without Lo range that's probably the only way you would be able to keep a Freelander moving though.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:09 AM   #48
RticQl8
AF Regular

Im not talking Xterra vs. Freelander its no contest offroad. I think I was trying to pick a fight about torque vs. hp although im not completely sure why. Torque is always usefull no matter the conditions but HP is morevaluable in sand and mud. Torque is what gets your wheels spinning hp is what keeps it going. Any type of wheeling that requires wheel speed will rely heavly on hp.

As long as we are talking "low range" does the Xterra have one? I have yet to find mine. Im seriously considering lower gears for my X. I would love if I could cut my low range in half. I've seen 3 or 4 different companys selling gears for the X has anyone actualy tried this?
Old 02-23-2002, 09:43 AM   #49
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

"As long as we are talking "low range" does the Xterra have one?"

WTF? You don't know where Low range is on your Xterra? :flamer:
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:56 AM   #50
RticQl8
AF Regular

lol! I know exactly where it is I jut dont think its very low. Poor attempt at sarcasim I guess.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:11 PM   #51
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Quote:
lol! I know exactly where it is I jut dont think its very low. Poor attempt at sarcasim I guess.
Even thought the transfer case is only 2.01:1 instead of the comparable jeep transfer cases at 2.73:1, it all evens out in the end since we have 4.63 rear ends instead of the 3.73 - 4.10 range of jeeps and toyotas.

Last edited by wqbang; 02-23-2002 at 09:02 PM.
wqbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 09:31 PM   #52
RticQl8
AF Regular

When company's advertise gears for our trucks i.e. http://www.spencerlowracing.com/driveline.htm will this change effect both front and back gearing or will we have to make changes elsewhere to balance tire speed between front and back? i.e http://www.purenissan.com/t-case_gear_reduction.htm do you have to also make changes to your transfer case gearing?
Old 02-24-2002, 12:21 AM   #53
XMan9
AF Regular

Wink Correction

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of the Jeap Cherokee or perhaps the Dodge Durango. Ill even be happier with the power plant in the new Land Rover Freelander for that matter.
thats cheap jerrokee, durge dorango and land lover moonlander!
sheesh already...