Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 11:20 PM   #1
superjens
AF Enthusiast

Question Stuck stock truck schmuck

Ok, I gotta bring up this topic. It might have been beaten to death in the past but I'm clueless about it, and figure some other newbies around here must be also.

How can us stock Xterra owners (ie: no ARB or rear tow hitch) prepare ourselves for the eventuality of needing a pull from somebody's winch or tow strap? I won't get an ARB until/if I trash my bumper, and I'm not crazy about the idea of getting a tow hitch since I'll never tow anything and I'm not crazy about the decreased angles back there because of it (unless this is the best/only answer).

A couple of things I've seen over the last few months have me curious, of course now I can't remember who did them or what the final verdict was, and I'd like some ideas so I can resolve this issue before next summer's trips.

I saw some pics of somebody who cut holes in their rear bumper, and added something to the frame which had u-bolts on it. Did that suck or not suck?

Somebody else put longer u-bolts right around the shackles. I remember they were orange, but I can't remember who's they were. Suck or not?

And as for the front, I know some people put aftermarket tow hooks on the frame, is that as good as it gets and is that enough?

And finally (I'm like a kid when dad is busy, what's that? what's this do? why are you doing that? who are you talking to? why are you beating me with a shovel?) what item(s) can we use to facilitate attaching somebody's winch cable to our trucks?

For example, could I use a chain with a hook at each end which would hang onto the truck, and the winch cable could grab the chain in the middle, hopefully dividing the stress to both attachment points? What about a superstrong rope?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
bluztraveler
AF Newbie

Hey Jens,
For a pull strap I have a load-strap off of a trailer its around 15-20ft. tough nylon with a loop on one end. (cheap ,but works great)
The chain thing I don't go for ,I saw one let go it was like a grenade.
Nissan has hooks for the front. The back...??...I have a hitch.
bluztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:50 AM   #3
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

I know exactly what you mean!

I have two aftermarket tow hooks up front, but nothing for the back.

I've read time after time that you're not supposed to recover using anything on the rear axle, or any suspension component.
But that eliminates everything on the back of the Xterra (except the tow hitch).

The only two alternatives I can see are a tow hook on the rear frame, but the rear bumper would be in the way causeing potential problems.
And Brent/OffroadX's solution of putting a large U shaped shackle around the leaf-spring hanger.

Neither is too appealing but there needs to be something. I'm leaning towards Brent's idea right now.

I like your idea for equalizing the load between both sides of the frame. I was thinking of something similar.
Two short chains, about 4' long, with hooks on both ends, one connected to each tow hook, the other ends connected to a 3/4" shackle, which a winch could be attached to.

It would only work for winches, because its not safe to use heavy equipment like shackles and hooks when yanking somebody.
And it would only work in a head-on pull.
Maybe if there was a way to adjust the lengths of the chains...

Sorry about the long post, I got lots to think about now.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:51 AM   #4
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

The best way to add a rear tow point IMO, and keep the factory bumper would be to have a tow receiver framed up behind the bumper with the receiver coming through behind your license plate. Then you could jsut flip up the plate (have it spring loaded) and put a shackle insert in. Only two problems with this setup. You won't be able to put your spare underneath and it would cost probably $300 U.S. + to have it done. This can be done, I've checked. It also centers your tow point.

or you could do this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112301c.jpg (47.3 KB, 250 views)
Old 12-18-2001, 04:23 AM   #5
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Actually the easiest and cheapest way is to install rear tow hooks. Myself and several other FLXX members have front and rear tow hooks. By having four of them you can cross-tie the frame with a tree strap and gives you ample places to pull from when it comes time to pull or be pulled. Also, using the hitch reduces departure angle significantly, so don't add a hitch just for that.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 09:26 AM   #6
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Gordon, how do you clear the bumper with the frame-mounted rear hooks? Not that my solution is really much better in that regard, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for me so far.

And again, here is my solution. You can order these through any Ace Hardware outlet for about $15 each. Big Orange brand 5-ton deep clevis:

A pair of them and a 6' tree protector strap between them with the recovery strap in the middle will do nicely. The recovery strap can slide along the tree strap to keep equal force on both sides from any angle. You do have to watch the exhaust though, it's a good idea to pick up a couple of 2' length of radiator-hose or such to put over the strap to keep it protected from sharp or hot objects.

This shackle has worked for me under some rather severe conditions, including prolonged repeated running-start yanks with only one shackle. The point at which it attaches is Nissan's recommended recovery point for the rear, and is welded to the frame. There is negligible force transmitted to the leaf shackle itself. The orange shackle gets pulled horizontal with the pin against the hanger under load, it justs rests as shown unloaded because of the weight of the pin.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 10:25 AM   #7
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Heck, I forgot the best benefit to my solution: It's portable!
Doesn't matter if you have rear tow hooks or not, it doesn't do much for the other guy that doesn't and gets in a stuck requiring a yank from behind. Hook up a strap to your front tow hook, put the shackle(s) on the back of his, and voila!

Brent
Old 12-18-2001, 10:49 AM   #8
superjens
AF Enthusiast

(Dammit, I had a answer all typed out, hit reply and it vanished.)

The service manual does indeed point to that spot in the back as a tow point:

Brent, would you consider welding them on? I'm guessing that while you're driving they rattle around a bit. Also how do you put the strap on it, I'm guessing you have to pull out the pin, slide on the strap, etc. Not that big a deal but I'm just wondering.

Warmonger, any standard 3-hole tow hook will fit in the back? The only ones I've found here so far are these fancy Warn chrome hooks $50 (CDN), I thought these hooks were supposed to be cheap?
Old 12-18-2001, 10:57 AM   #9
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Can't weld them on, no way to put the strap on! Yes, you have to put the strap on the shackle then slip the shackle over the hanger and put the pin in.
I don't normally drive around with them on, so no rattle problem. I have been known to leave one or both hooked up on the trail with the strap shut in the back, don't recall any rattle then either, but I'll bet I just didn't make a note of it.

Brent
Old 12-18-2001, 11:37 AM   #10
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Quote:
Originally posted by superjens
(Dammit, I had a answer all typed out, hit reply and it vanished.)

The service manual does indeed point to that spot in the back as a tow point:

Warmonger, any standard 3-hole tow hook will fit in the back? The only ones I've found here so far are these fancy Warn chrome hooks $50 (CDN), I thought these hooks were supposed to be cheap?
OffroadX,

First keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion based on my experiences, which means it may not concern you in the least. I have seen frames ripped wide open from tow hooks not mounted properly or hooking snatch straps to a bumper. I ripped one myself when a guy who obviously took great pride in his welding insisted he be allowed to hook the strap to his front bumper. Fortunately I had the forsight to put a military blanket over the strap during the pull. I ripped the drivers side bumper right off, taking with it a portion of the frame. I guess his welding ability wasn't as good as he thought it was. I also split a frame wide open and took a tow hook off of a Jeep because it was mounted in the factory location. Interestingly, my Jeep with its aftermarket hooks didn't get phased. Both my rear tow hooks mounts penetrated both sides of the frame and didn't budge.

The moral of the story is that because of those experiences, I don't trust even factory welds and builds. If you rip off a shackle mount on the trail, you're screwed. Not saying it will happen, but I have seen something similar occur twice.

Superjens,

The way I mounted my tow hooks before the rear bumper change routed them under the hitch tube, keeping them from hitting the bumper. Now that I have the CalMini bumper, I haven't done enough pulling to see what kind of problems are going to occur.

As for which tow hooks to use, the rear can go any way you want. You're going to be drilling anyway. The two hole hooks will be easier to deal with on the rear. The front requires the three hole Chevy style. I bought mine from 4 Wheel Parts here in Orlando for $11.00 each.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #11
O1SalsaX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to O1SalsaX Send a message via Yahoo to O1SalsaX
ChuckH

ChuckH, That is an awesome rear bumper setup. Where did you get that? How much? IMO it has a better fit than the KMA or others, and looks damn good. I like the two shackle points, and the swing away tire carrier is a great option too. If you can, please email me privately with prices and fabricator. I'd be interested in just the bumper without the Tire carrier for the time being, I'll build one later. wvh5150@optonline.net
Thanx
Ken
01SalsaX
O1SalsaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:34 PM   #12
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

01SalsaX

ChuckH's bumper WAS a KMA, but he had to tear it all apart and rebuild it from the ground up! It was a POS when he got it.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:40 PM   #13
scott.com
AF Enthusiast

He he. I think Chucks bumper is a KMA. I believe he has done a far bit of work to get it to where it is today.

Jens I'm planning to get tow hooks for the front in the new year. Sounds like buying them in the States is the best option. I assume that the after market ones are better then the ones from Nissan?

Yeah I've seen the pics of the X with the holes in it's rear bumper. Ugly as heck.
scott.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:21 PM   #14
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

So when do we get to see your bumper Warmonger? It's installed right?
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 04:09 PM   #15
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by scott.com
Jens I'm planning to get tow hooks for the front in the new year. Sounds like buying them in the States is the best option. I assume that the after market ones are better then the ones from Nissan?
go here:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/

You can find the nearest dealer or order from them direct.
Get the three hole tow hooks, then go to Lowes and get some grade 8 bolts to install it.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail