Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 12:07 AM   #16
Huey
AF Newbie

Lightbulb

This may help clear up a few questions! :smoker2:

click here!
Old 11-27-2001, 03:39 PM   #17
Sc00ter
AF Newbie

Man those sliders suck! (inside Joke)

Thats exactly why I will take receipt of mine on Monday BABY! You didn't warn me that Roger is a T A L K E R on the phone. He even got into the humidity index and which compensations he will make for the POR-15 to cure. He is hardcore crazy mod guy!

Laterz
Old 11-27-2001, 04:39 PM   #18
Huey
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

Damn, how did you get him to swing Monday???

Not bad, not bad at all!!! Oh, yeah I forgot to mention that Roger can talk yer ear off, be careful! hehehehehe..... Oh and when you go over to pick up the sliders, prepare to spend some more time talking to him!

Umm.... Yeah.... umm.... yeah.... that's it..... yeah..... - Drove me a bit crazy at times, espcially since I would stop by during lunch and end up spending like an hour there. But I must still say that he is a GREAT guy!!!

Umm... Yeah...
Old 11-27-2001, 05:14 PM   #19
Harbones
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
At first glance, nice, and excellent price. But, those bars between the two long pieces are just going to hang your ass up on a rock big-time when one finds its way between the "rungs" of the ladder it forms. I'll pass. Not that your rocker wouldn't pretty much be toast if they weren't there though. That would have to be a pretty bad line in the first place.

Brent
Out of curiousity, how are the rungs created between the bars on this design different from the rungs created between the bar and the frame of the X with normal slider designs?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2001, 07:36 PM   #20
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
You'd be hard-pressed to set the single-bar sliders on a rock that could get between the bar and the frame rail, but it would be much easier to set these down such that a rock could get between the two bars.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 09:03 PM   #21
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

BTW Huey welcome to the board. Glad you could come by to talk about your new sliders. Don't worry about the comments, just honest questions from people who like to talk about their trucks.

Sometimes I feel like an angler trying to reel in the offroader owners out there.

Old 11-28-2001, 12:30 PM   #22
goofiefoot
AF Newbie

Question

Scoot - let me know how those work out for you. I'm still having a hard time seeing how there would be that much difference in "hang-up-ability" on rocks between this design and others on the market. The angle of the ladder rungs should keep rocks out justr as well as the small space in the EOE or Calmini. Let's face it, if you're going to get hung, it will find a way to happen.
SWXC #25 - THC
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:36 PM   #23
Huey
AF Newbie

Quote:
BTW Huey welcome to the board. Glad you could come by to talk about your new sliders. Don't worry about the comments, just honest questions from people who like to talk about their trucks.
No prob. Schlud. I just wanted to clear a few things up. I do agree that there is a possiblity that you could get hung up, but none of the 4Runner guys have had any problems so far and they have been running this design for quite some time now. goofiefoot hit it on the nail, when he said

Quote:
Let's face it, if you're going to get hung, it will find a way to happen.
But you can always add the steel plating I guess. Comments are great, they are what make a better product!

I really like this forum, lots of good information from people that actually wheel! :flash:
Old 11-28-2001, 06:18 PM   #24
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Can you highlift off those ladders? Looks like a lot of leverage.

Whats the construction? 2x2 box? I like having a 4" area to land on a rock, leaves more room for error than 2".
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 07:01 PM   #25
Huey
AF Newbie

The sliders are 2x2 and yes you can highlift off them. I would have to say that there is more than enough room for error though.

From the back on a 4Runner:

From the front on a 4Runner:
Old 11-28-2001, 07:34 PM   #26
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Flexing?

Looks like those 2" tubes are flexing? Maybe they are bent that way in fabrication? I like to over-engineer stuff when I bulid it, so I think I would have the front of that tube joining the main tube.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 07:54 PM   #27
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Nope, not flexing, those are the "kick-outs" that are optional, to push the tire clear of the obstruction somewhat.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 08:03 PM   #28
Huey
AF Newbie

Lightbulb

Actually I think what rrdstarr is looking at the outer bar being above the inner bar.

The outer bar is placed about 1" above the inner bar to provide more clearance. And yes the the slider will flex a little bit, it is designed to. That is why the inner bar is placed below the pinch seam. When the load gets really heavy the inner bar will push up on the inner seam and use the body to help lift the rest of the weight.

You can see the angles a little bit better here:
Old 11-28-2001, 10:13 PM   #29
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Hmmm... looks like it works.

I don't like the idea of the slider flexing up to my body and using my body to help lift the weight of the vehicle. If the slider will flex up to the body durring highlifting, I'd worry about what would happen when the truck dropped onto a rock, the force would be many time the actual weight of the vehicle. I would expect this to push the slider up into the body and damage it.

I'd love to see a set in action.... but not on my truck. :smoker2:
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:10 AM   #30
wilburburns
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to wilburburns
I wouldn't worry...

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath the X
Hmmm... looks like it works.

I don't like the idea of the slider flexing up to my body and using my body to help lift the weight of the vehicle. If the slider will flex up to the body durring highlifting, I'd worry about what would happen when the truck dropped onto a rock, the force would be many time the actual weight of the vehicle. I would expect this to push the slider up into the body and damage it.

I'd love to see a set in action.... but not on my truck. :smoker2:
Flexing will occur...If it didn't flex, then it woud break. If properly designed, the flexing will hit the pinch seem evenly and distribute the weight across the whole panel. The rolled body panels and pinch seem are very strong if the load is transferred evenly across the whole seem. The reason they normally bend without sliders, or even with EOE's Sliderz is because the full weight if the truck is on a very small area.

Now, I', not saying that EOE's are worse, or that they have flexed enough to bend the pinch seem, but with suffecient force, they could. Calmini's would be even worse, because of the even smaller area of the brackets.

Just my opinions and a little knowledge. So don't start flameing me about comparing other products or slamming any other companies, because I'm not....:bandit:

Cliff
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote