Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #16
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Re: Ferrari's wings

Hmm... I wonder what that new red piece is for? Covering up the evidence? Or is it now properly attached?

Ferrari front wing in Melbourne:

RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

probably doesn't matter, I don't think the minute separation made much of a difference.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Probably correct there isn't a big difference in performance. However, we all know Ferrari always play by the rules () so we are just bringing to their attention the fact that this could be percieved as less than squeaky clean.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:24 AM   #19
ales
Forza Schumacher

Hmmm... I was half expecting to find a changed title, which would include the squeaky clean Mclaren and BMW who were told to change wings (which they did, as well as Ferrari), but hey, Ferrari are the bad guys, so I understand this singling them out.

Apparently the issue wasn't the side movement but the possibility of the winglet changing angle due to being hinged on the pin, and that red piece eliminates the possibility of that.

Have you noticed just how much the front wings on the Renaults were changing the angle of attack due to flex during OZ GP? I'm very surprised no one protested that!

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales
Hmmm... I was half expecting to find a changed title, which would include the squeaky clean Mclaren and BMW who were told to change wings (which they did, as well as Ferrari), but hey, Ferrari are the bad guys, so I understand this singling them out.
Except that Ferrari never admited they were told to change anything, same old state of denial from them. And as I said before what chance the issues with McLaren and BMW were a convenient FIA diversion, given the timing and all. Not like the FIA have learnt any new tricks over the years.

Quote:
Apparently the issue wasn't the side movement but the possibility of the winglet changing angle due to being hinged on the pin, and that red piece eliminates the possibility of that.
There was an issue? Not according to Maranello. And the only word in the above quote that is required to single out the difference between Ferrari's designs and the others is the word "hinge". Contiued references to flexing is simply missing the point. I also wouldn't say that the red cover eliminates anything, just covers things up.

Quote:
Have you noticed just how much the front wings on the Renaults were changing the angle of attack due to flex during OZ GP? I'm very surprised no one protested that!
I thought the Ferrari's in general flexed a whole lot more at Melbourne. Particularly when they were butted up against other cars and walls. Agreed though, the Renaults must be on the ragged edge of what is legal. But that said, they didn't employ a pivot or hinge to the best of my knowledge, so isn't really the same.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #21
ales
Forza Schumacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
Except that Ferrari never admited they were told to change anything, same old state of denial from them. And as I said before what chance the issues with McLaren and BMW were a convenient FIA diversion, given the timing and all. Not like the FIA have learnt any new tricks over the years.
Sure, Phil, understandible, yet predictable statement. And this comes from someone who doesn't care much for unconfirmed reports.

Quote:
There was an issue? Not according to Maranello. And the only word in the above quote that is required to single out the difference between Ferrari's designs and the others is the word "hinge". Contiued references to flexing is simply missing the point. I also wouldn't say that the red cover eliminates anything, just covers things up.
If it's only percieved by the competition, it's still an issue. Then again, that red piece completely solves the hinge thing, eliminates any possibility, so I really don't know what you're on about here.

Design or not, admit anything or not, Ferrari was just one of the three teams that had to (was told to?) change their wing design, and the reason for singling them out is that they are not only the only ones who, when in the same group as Mclaren, can be bad guys, but also the ones who have to be.

Quote:
I thought the Ferrari's in general flexed a whole lot more at Melbourne. Particularly when they were butted up against other cars and walls. Agreed though, the Renaults must be on the ragged edge of what is legal. But that said, they didn't employ a pivot or hinge to the best of my knowledge, so isn't really the same.
Be careful, you're a bit too close to being an ass. And I wasn't saying it was the same, just that I was astonished by the amount of flex of the Renault wings. Oh, maybe that was an unconscious attempt on diversion tactics on my part

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #22
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Quote:
I really don't know what you're on about here.
No you apparently don't or won't...

Trust me, nothing would please me more that to know F1 was fair and even handed. It is just that time and time again it proves not to be the case. Obviously we are both biased in the way we view the limited information we have about the issues, but in this case perception is the only reality we've got. Anyway Ferrari have kinda fixed up their problem and were allowed to save face, lets move on.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
rhnocar
AF Newbie

Renault had the same issue in the Eurpoean GP. their rear wing element could be seen flexing during th race and they werent hit with any penalties. I agree with the statment that Ferrari seems to get special treatment, if anything they should be expected to adhere to the guidelines more stringently.
rhnocar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Formula-One