Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which has the best performance?
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400 27 51.92%
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 20 38.46%
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #31
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
wait a minute, did someone say they'd wouldn't take a 'poor build quality' vehicle over a corvette?
since when were corvettes high quality build/material cars?
Quality improved from about 1981 onward when the Corvette was given it's own assembly plant in Kentucky. Apparently one of the most hi-tech assembly plants GM ever built.

There was much rumbling about GM's reliability 15-20 years ago but during this time the Corvette maintained an acceptable level of quality control.
Quality has also improved a lot since the C5 came out. Occasionally a lemon can slip though the cracks but this is rare. Obviously the Corvette's quality control isn’t going to shame Toyota's but I can assure you that it is of a fairly high standard.

As for materials, I heard that the Z06 had an exhaust made of titanium alloy that greatly reduces weight. The only other production car that comes from the factory with a titanium alloy exhaust is the Mclaren F1.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Old 12-01-2004, 07:27 AM   #32
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gti1689
when he was questioning the quality of the vette he m,ight have been refering to things such as reliability, interior build quality, and longevity. the vette is a solid car by all means, and i think its reliability is quite good. i think the interior quality on the C5 was horrible, and i also feel that the evo was no mercedes either, but it is better. the new c6 seems to have an interior that has better design, but i'm not sure how the material will hold up.

moving onto what counts, the mecahical quality of both of these cars is very good (when i say mechanical i mean the engine design, the material the exhaust is made out of, etc). i think the evo is more high tech, but i also think the chevy is solid and proven to work.

overall, i would still give the nod to the evo in the categories listed above, but the c5/c6 would be a close second.

Just one of the pretty engines in the stable.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #33
huckleberrydude
AF Newbie

In comparson to an evo which is rated one of the poorest fit and finish vehichles produced today.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #34
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

hmmm, bad interior quality comapred to the vette? sure the evo's interior isn't amazing, but it's not horrendous. the vette is...well. i'm not sure how to say it. don't wanna get flamed over something dumb like interior qaulity, but it's not very high.

btw, don't u think your a little biased against imports? take a look below. i don't know, i'm trying to keep bias out if this and rate the cars on their performance. interior quality isn't the highest on my list, but if we have to talk about it, we will.

Thread: Import ?
Preview: oops!
I just took a sh!t and out came a ttsupra

03 cobra
all the goodies

huckleberrydude Mustang 64 1,436 11-24-2003 11:05 PM

Thread: My buddy just got his turbo...
Preview: a slow ass ricer

huckleberrydude Street Racing 12 247 11-02-2003 02:24 AM

Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #35
S2CorollaR
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to S2CorollaR
Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti1689
don't u think your a little biased against imports? take a look below
Haha nice... how do you say "owned" in french?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #36
huckleberrydude
AF Newbie

OK I can deal with that. I am a little biased but I was considering fit and finish IE body panels, paint coming off etc. why is there a comparison with a fast four door and a sports car in the first place? Surely you could find a better car for the money. I have no reason to dog you because I know I am the one that ownes one of these cars and it is one of six I have a choice of driving daily. No one gave them to me. I earned them as well as a beautifull home and a hot girl. I was simply stating my opinion on the subject. If you can aquire the special evo (which I'm sure is a great ride), then look me up and we will see what happens. I'm sure you will be able to carry more groceries.

I just posted my opinoin.
you are being a dick.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #37
S2CorollaR
AF Regular

I will have to say though, dogging the Corvette's build isn't smart. The C5's have incredible build and reliability. I hardly hear of Z06's having mechanical problems and they compete very very well in competitions.

I've talked with owners, they love them. It's weird but I see a lot more Evo 8's on the used car lots than Z06's, and Evo's have been out for shorter time.

As far as interior looks and feel. I'm sorry but when they say Evo is a driver's car, they must be talking about one that never takes his eyes off the road. I test drove an Evo and I loved it....... My gf at the time hated it. She said the seats were far from comfortable and everything on the inside was not easily accessible. Everything on the inside also looks really fake, but hey, the gauges and steering wheel are great right? :rolls eyes:

As for Corvette Z06... Its interior was amazing to me.

Performance wise: It'd be hard to choose between the two, but I'd probably pick the Evo. This has nothing to do with discrediting the Corvette Z06, but merely because of rarity and the fact that I hated my ex gf anyway. Long term investment? Z06 all the way.

I have no bias, I drive an import.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #38
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

"I've talked with owners, they love them"

how many car owners don't love their car?

things said about the interior of the corvette.
"...what looks like chrome isn't, what looks like leather would be rejected by any self-respecting cow, what looks like plastic is scratch-prone and casually fitted....."
Old 12-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #39
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

okay, i can respect that. i understand that you were stating your opinion, and i was just stating mine. don't think i was being a dick, but if i gave you that impression i'm sorry.

the point is that the evo and the chevy do NOT have good interior quality. determining how bad it really is is kinda retarded. this thread seemed you shift from the focus of performance, and the shift was probably influenced by my previous post. go check out CAR magazine. a couple of months back they had a comparison between the EVO FQ400, and a Pagani Zonda. good reading.

the quote about there being more evo's in used car lots than Z06's is stupid. i'm sure someone can try to make somekind of inference that because there are more evo's in used car lots they must have worse quality. i'm not gonna get into that, but the vette is a little more expensive, evo isn't for everyone, etc.

finally, go buy this month's issue of motor trend. they have a comparo between the new 911, and the C6 corvette. the 911 won, but this is the statement that they wrote about the corvette, might answer some question about the interior quality, etc:

Look closer, though, and you wonder whether any other automaker in the world can get away with charging more than $45 grand for a car with such poorly fitted panels and a steering wheel from a Chevy Malibu. What's more, our tester groaned and creaked like the ship in the "Master and Commander" every time we drove up angled ramps in the underground garage at Motor Trend Towers, and the detachable roof squeaked and rattled constantly. YTou can't help feeling that, if GM had spent just a little more money and it had been prepared to sweat the detals a bit harder, the C6 could've been the first Corvette that didn't rely on price to make it a winner.

Yes, it costs a lot more, but it's Porsche's unrelenting attention to detail that explains why the Carrers S, with less power and more weight, delievers virtually identical performance to the Corvette. And why it seems more composed, more effortless on almost any piece of road you care to throw it at. The 911 Carrera S is simply the better sports car. At any price."

cheers

Old 12-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #40
TatII
AF Fanatic

i'm sorry but ive driven a few C5 vettes and their interior is no where near good quality. they're leather sucks, their dash is cheap, and they use the same climate control as the denali which is dated and cheap looking. they use rubbery buttons, and its just cheap overall.

even though the EVO's interior is very cheap as well, but atleast it looks alot more solid then the vettes.

and most people who sells evo's is becasue their either too old for the car, and the harsh manner of the car is beating them up, or their kid's who can't afford to pay off the rest of the finance, or they traded it in for a STi, or traded it in to get the 05 EVO's with the Active center differential.

they almost never traded it in because the car itself was no good.

and huckleberry there is no doubt your cobra will take out a modded evo. however the FQ was not meant to be a 1/4 mile burner. its meant as a road racing car, and its a damn fine one at that.

lets see if your 03 cobra can keep up with a lambourghini gallardo on the road course. this is what the EVO FQ400 is lapping similar too.

if your car can even hang with it by 1 second, then i will say its very impressive. but your cobra was never meant for handling esp with that near 30 year old chassis with that out dated 4 link live axle in the rear. unless your got the cobra with the independant rear suspension.

but even so on Hot Rod mag, a bone stock STi lapped faster then your precious SVT cobra with 90 less hp. and EVO's lap faster then STi's. the j spec EVO's run's 12.6's stock. they have 6 speed standard with more hp, and a active yaw controller, and active center differential. all of these are missing in the u.s. spec EVO. yet the EVO without all these things are still faster then the STi which happens to be faster then your SVT Cobra.

now add another 100 hp, an active center differential, 6 speed transmission, active yaw controller to the U.S. spec EVO and stiffer suspension, and lighter weight and see what happens.

my .2 cent.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #41
S2CorollaR
AF Regular

I don't know. I didn't drive the C6 Corvette or even hear about it. The thing is... It was my opinion about the interior of the C5 Z06. I felt the Evo looked too futuristic wannabe looking. I felt like I was in a ship on a bad episode of Star Trek or something.

As far as performance, FQ400 compared to Z06. I have no idea. I don't even know what that car is. All I know is the Z06 is an awesome machine. It's as they say, "been there and done that". No ratings on the interior will knock down the massive amounts of cars that lose to it in comparison. The C6 isn't even in this element because who knows what's going on with that car.

The C5 Z06 I'm sure, will take out the Carrera S.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #42
huckleberrydude
AF Newbie

I don't drive a cobra anymore. I drive a Z06
Old 12-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #43
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

did i start all this?

anyway.
"I felt the Evo looked too futuristic wannabe looking"
whoa....
i think the interior of the evo looks just like any other japanese car of that size;
like a taxi.
it's nothing special.
granted there was some thought in the design of it but it's not as designed as say... a BMW 5's interior.

i pointed out the original statement cos it was saying that the evo's interior is bad as opposed to the corvettes which is well, just as bad if not worse.

should just remind you guys that from what i gather,
what you guys get in terms of evos aren't exactly what the rest of the world knows as evos.
to me, it looks like you're getting a very bad impersonation of the car that the rest of the world enjoys.
also, from what i hear about quality issues with the u.s cars, i can see why you think ALL evos are bad.

last reminder...
the FQ400 is prepped by essentially
i) the mitsubishi/ralliart rally car engineers
ii) the guys who actually devised/developed the parts for the engine upgrade.

it's not just another tuned evo and it's not like any other tuned evo.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #44
S2CorollaR
AF Regular

No but someone started the interior bashing in terms of Corvettes. I simply argued against the Evo to balance that out.

You can't let someone land a blow on the Corvette's interior without balancing it out by saying that the Evo's interior is bad too.

Also, if you look closely, I said "I felt", meaning, my opinion, not fact. I don't know what kind of look they were going for or who likes it, all I know is I didn't like it myself. If this is a performance comparison, then honestly, it's hands down to the Evo if it is compared to a stock Z06. If we're talking about car vs car in total, well... That's all opinion isn't it?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #45
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

"The C5 Z06 I'm sure, will take out the Carrera S."

that's not the point. the C6 was faster in acceleration, and it was ahead in the road course. re-read the quote from the article.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons