Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which car is better and has more 'bang' for the buck?
Lamborghini Gallardo 5 45.45%
Ford GT 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 03:34 PM   #91
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

Interesting supposition. So the Ford exceeds the sum of its parts, while the gallardo fails to. Interesting...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #92
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
I wouldn't say thats exactly true. AWD does have good benefits on a cars cornering abilities. Since the tractive force of the car is being shared by all 4 tires (as opposed to 2 in rwd/fwd) it enables a higher cornering limit. I'm gonna assume you mean more acceleration out of the corner, which is partially true...assuming you don't induce understeer (which is very possible). A variable type system is better and I don't think the Gallardo can even achieve 100% rear torque(not the ideal variable system).When a rwd car corners the tractive force on the drive tires will distort faster than an awd car which leads to quicker tire slip. A rwd will simply create larger slip angles faster. Again, if the front tires slip before the rear tires it can understeer. Considering steering is usually solely controlled by the front tires the addition of power will always decrease gripping ability unless it is the variable system.

Steering tendency is usually in favor of a rwd vehicle since it has a greater ability to promote oversteer. In a sense, some people will say that a rwd car will have more 'feel' than a awd car. This will usually make it more predictable which IMO is very important. Not that a awd couldn't promote oversteer, but you cannot set an awd car up to promote the oversteer as well as a rwd car unless your willing to do a trade off.

You also add weight to a car in awd, and you have additional power loss associated with friction. It comes down to which you prefer.
In closing, the only time AWD can benefit in cornering is on corner exit only if it has a variable torque split system which progessively adds power to the front tires as available grip increases when used lateral grip decreases.

edit: Actually, some AWD can benefit if it isn't a complete variable system. That line is often unclear though.

Last edited by Mr Payne; 02-23-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Mr Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #93
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

all this gives me a new perspective on awd. i have always heard that awd is the best for cornering. there have been a couple threads on af that have said that a awd car wins just because it can corner better than any other car.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #94
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74
On a road course I fully expect the GT to leave the Gallardo or its big brother like they are tied to a pole. IMO Lambo's don't seem to have handling that matches their pricetag or their promise.
Until the Diablo i would have agreed with you. But the Murcielago is a very well sorted car and the Gallardo has proved that it's at least as quick on a road course as a 996TT. Anything that can live with one of those is devastatingly fast. I dont think the GT would be able to get away from either of these cars very quickly, if at all.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:43 AM   #95
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Well, if the car tested is the C&D Ford GT, then it would put a world of hurt on 996TT, Murcielago, or Gallardo. If it was the R&T or Motortrend GT, then it would be comparable to the Lambos, but probably faster than the 996TT...

(Magazine racing at its finest)
Old 02-24-2004, 03:46 AM   #96
crayzayjay
CFA

I'll wait and see what the Stig does with it... or any Nurburgring tests
Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #97
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lamborghini Gallardo vs. Ford GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Payne
In closing, the only time AWD can benefit in cornering is on corner exit only if it has a variable torque split system which progessively adds power to the front tires as available grip increases when used lateral grip decreases.

edit: Actually, some AWD can benefit if it isn't a complete variable system. That line is often unclear though.
Yes that is the main benefit from an AWD setup. Inducing understeer is a main concern in an AWD setup. Like I also said, you can setup an AWD car to promote RWD characteristics in reducing the understeering effects prone to it (variable torque split/suspension/etc.). I would still rather be in a RWD setup. I just wanted to give credit where due.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #98
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

also, looking at the amusment factor, imo rwd is the best. you can whip the tail around the corner, that is a lot more funner than just turning around a corner. but thats just me.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-26-2004, 08:40 PM   #99
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't know that I would take any data or ideas from the C&D test of the GT. Those figures were pretty far of the mark set by every other journalist test. Statistically speaking, that data can be tossed.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:48 PM   #100
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moslerporschefreak
Yeah, I don't know that I would take any data or ideas from the C&D test of the GT. Those figures were pretty far of the mark set by every other journalist test. Statistically speaking, that data can be tossed.
Statistically speaking, no, that data could not be tossed. We only have three separate samples. Car & Driver, Motortrend, and Road & Track. We simply do not know how this car will perform from factory.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #101
1965PontiacGTO
AF Enthusiast

Why is my Poll off, I set the day limit to 0, did the moderators turn it off?, and is there anyway to get it back up and running again?
3. 1969 Pontiac GTO
Looking for any Pontiac 1979 and earlier
"In order to establish a sportscar, you have to race it." -Zora Duntov
"There's no replacement for displacement"
Super Duty- Everything a Pontiac ought to be (until Ford swiped the name for it's truck line.)
1965PontiacGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:44 AM   #102
moslerporschefreak
AF Enthusiast

Ok, strictly statistically speaking, no, the data cannot be tossed. However, while I have only seen numerical data from three sources, I have seen many other reviews of the GT. None of them place the car (even in straightline which is what the C&D test suggests) in the relm of the enzo or Koenigsegg. As a rational human being, I would say that the C&D data can be ignored.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #103
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965PontiacGTO
Why is my Poll off, I set the day limit to 0, did the moderators turn it off?, and is there anyway to get it back up and running again?
I dont remember changing it, it may have been Neutrino or another mod. But they would have been right in doing so. Polls shouldn't be open for more than a few weeks, else random votes bump the thread when it's well past its sell-by date.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #104
Mr Payne
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moslerporschefreak
Ok, strictly statistically speaking, no, the data cannot be tossed. However, while I have only seen numerical data from three sources, I have seen many other reviews of the GT. None of them place the car (even in straightline which is what the C&D test suggests) in the relm of the enzo or Koenigsegg. As a rational human being, I would say that the C&D data can be ignored.
Come on now, you've seen "many other" sources? What, the Top Gear episode? What else? Remember, It is very hard to gauge the straitline speed by the seat of your pants. Perhaps they just assumed it was going to be slower than the Enzo or Koenigsegg. We simply don't know unless we get more data or customer cars reveal how fast the car is.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #105
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

oh my god, people think that the gt will be as fast as the enzo or koenigsegg?!?!?!?!?!?!?! i dont think the sources can be that much off.

ZedEx Crew Member #2