Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Would you rather own an Exotic or a Tuner
Exotic (Ferrari,Lambo,Aston,Jag etc) 30 83.33%
Tuner (souped up imports) 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
SilverLotus340R
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SilverLotus340R
Would you Rather Own a Ferrari or a Honda

Would you rather own an exotic or a souped up/pimped out/done up import (likea honda or toyota and such) ??
Who’d dare build a car without doors or side windows or a hood? Only Lotus. And who’d dare drive one? You would. The 340R is the sports car for people who live to drive and want the whole experience as raw and as pure as it comes.
SilverLotus340R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #2
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

I would rather have a tuner car... I would take a fixed up 300zx, Silvia, Skyline or old school Datsun over a Ferrari/etc.

I dunno why, I just like Nissan/Datsun much more than the european "super cars"

Of course if it was a choice between a "super car" and a Honda, thats a no brainer...

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
supercar without a second thought, no matter how much you soup them up, the tuner cars will never have character or personality.

Plus, a Ferrari or 911 Turbo is light years ahead of any Japper in technology and engineering (Except meaybe the NSX, which is a supercar anyway)

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 03:57 PM   #4
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy_11_cars
supercar without a second thought, no matter how much you soup them up, the tuner cars will never have character or personality.

Plus, a Ferrari or 911 Turbo is light years ahead of any Japper in technology and engineering (Except meaybe the NSX, which is a supercar anyway)
But what about the tuned Skylines and Supras and such in Japan? They are built up so much that they are basically supercars, and will kick the shit out of most supercars...

Stock for stock I would take the supercars... but if we are talking modded import vs supercars... gimme the modded car for sure...

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Quote:
Originally posted by Grendel

But what about the tuned Skylines and Supras and such in Japan? They are built up so much that they are basically supercars, and will kick the shit out of most supercars...

Stock for stock I would take the supercars... but if we are talking modded import vs supercars... gimme the modded car for sure...

-Grendel
Everybody has a Skyline/Supra/300ZX where I came from, they lost all thier appeal to me, nothing beats a bit of exclusivity

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:48 PM   #6
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy_11_cars

Everybody has a Skyline/Supra/300ZX where I came from, they lost all thier appeal to me, nothing beats a bit of exclusivity

But in the states, those are sometimes more rare than a Ferrari, or Porsche.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 06:15 PM   #7
Amish_kid
AF Enthusiast

Talking

probably i would take the import only if it was an r34 gtr other than that i would take my McLaren F1 and go home happy
Amish_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 06:19 PM   #8
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
that's a bit of a tough one, I'd take a Ferrari 360 over a lot of other cars, have you ever seen the camshafts in those engines? But if it were a highly modded Skyline I think I'd rather have that.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 10:11 PM   #9
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I'd take an NSX over a Ferrari... But you probably knew that already...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 10:31 PM   #10
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Grendel

And what about the tuned Ferraris and such in Japan?
Thier tuner Super cars! :finger: :finger:

"hey look at my 900hp Twin Turbo Skyline that only goes in a straight line!"

"Yeah, its almost as cool as my 900hp Twin Turbo'd 355 that also goes around corners" :finger:

Actualy afterworking on several Ferraris I would have to say I would rather own Either a Jappa, or a Lotus and a Jappa.
But trust me, you need a 2nd car.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:05 AM   #11
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

And what about the tuned Ferraris and such in Japan?
Thier tuner Super cars! :finger: :finger:

"hey look at my 900hp Twin Turbo Skyline that only goes in a straight line!"

"Yeah, its almost as cool as my 900hp Twin Turbo'd 355 that also goes around corners" :finger:

Actualy afterworking on several Ferraris I would have to say I would rather own Either a Jappa, or a Lotus and a Jappa.
But trust me, you need a 2nd car.

Moppie rules the day!!!

Counterpoint
But think of the tv chanells you could get with that bigh wing on the back of your civc.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:30 AM   #12
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

I would take the supercars like...

...the Nissan R390

...the Toyota GT-One

...the Honda NSX-R

...the TommyKaira ZZ

...Subaru 22B

But, don't they qualify as tuned imports too? Oh wait, the Italian exotics can fall under the same category...it's TUNED SPORT-COMPACT vs. EXOTICS/SUPERCARS that you're trying to define here.

The car's I listed above enjoy higher exclusivity than most of the exotics you mentioned...

As for the Italian exotics...I'll take the German/Italian Pagani Zonda over ANY Ferrari, including the Enzo...anyday.

As for compacts, I love the idea of driving a car that most people believe they can take...like a lowly, stock-looking Honda Civic 4-door with a B20 turbo implant that run's 12's...

If I had the money, I'd take both, with a Hummer thrown in...but if I had enough to buy "just" the exotic, I'd build a compact and use the rest to pay-off my house payment or invest, etc., etc.

Oh and Moppie, to tune that F355 to 900HP you'd probably spend almost as much as you did to buy the car...I'd use the extra cash to REALLY tweak that Skyline's suspension and body, and have a sweet-handling, 900HP, AWD car that'll out-handle and out-accelerate that Ferrari that cost twice as much.

Side note:

Did you guys know that the Elise is finally coming out in the States as a 2004 model? It won't be based off the current Elise, but will be a new body that will carry the same characteristics the current Elise have (i.e., light-weight, chassis rigidity...), except that it will readily pass U.S. crash requirements.

They are considering either an F20 (Honda S2000), or a 2ZZGE (Celica GT-S) powerplant to motivate it...and it looks like they're leaning towards the 2ZZ( :finger4: ). Either way, it'll be mid-engined, RWD, fast as shit and projected to be around 30-thousand U.S. dollars...If they accomplish this pricing, guess what my car in 2005 will be?
Old 11-29-2002, 01:51 AM   #13
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
Quote:
Originally posted by carrrnuttt
900HP, AWD car that'll out-handle and out-accelerate that Ferrari that cost twice as much.
he has a very valid point, the skyline is known for its handeling/tunable hp.
I have to say I'd want a ferrari F60.......due to the fact that its out of my pricerange, i'm gonna say supra2JZ/skylineR34 modified or a fully tuned s2000/hatch by spoon. I love those cars....
hybridsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 02:28 AM   #14
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
carrrnuttt -The currrent and previous model Elise exceeds US crash regulations. Its the poor emmisions levels from its Rover K series engine that prevents it being sold in the US. (that and the fact that Lotus can not keep up with production requirments for Europe and Asia)

For a model to go on sale in the US they will first have to increase thier production ablity, its one of those things Lotus always dreams about but nevers does. They will then have to work on a cleaner engine. Either clean up the K series, or replace it with something else.
Its highly unlikely to be anything Japanese, they were offered the Honda B series engines at the start of the Elise devolopment, and should have taken the offer, but it is not cosidered proper to mix Japanese engines with British sports cars (suggest putting a Honda engine in an Elise to the owner of one and 9 out of 10 will telll you where to put it, after LOTS of convincing 2 out of 10 might agree (Iv tried it by the way, suggesting it to several owners that is))
The most likely engine choice will come from the Opel Stable, prehaps the next generation of engine currently int he Vectra/Astra or a SAAB engine.

But also expect the next Elise to be bigger and fatter for the US market, I predict it will have thinge like Electric windows and A/C. All things missing from the current models. By US Standards it will still be a light weight ultra agile road legal race car, but considering you can lift a frount corner of the current car with one hand it will be fat and bloated.
Of course that is assuming Lotus do target the car at the US, if not then it will stay the ultimate sports car that it is.

And there are several tuning companys in Japan that offer bolt on Turbo and S/C packages for many Ferrari and Lambo models, and who knows what else!
900hp is an exhageration, but for the money it would cost to make a Skyline that fast it would be cheaper to buy and modify the Ferrari.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:41 AM   #15
Focus2000
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
[But also expect the next Elise to be bigger and fatter for the US market, I predict it will have thinge like Electric windows and A/C. All things missing from the current models. By US Standards it will still be a light weight ultra agile road legal race car, but considering you can lift a frount corner of the current car with one hand it will be fat and bloated.
Of course that is assuming Lotus do target the car at the US, if not then it will stay the ultimate sports car that it is.
If this was to happen then it would no longer be an Elise. Maybe in name, but certainly not in spirit. They're supposed to be stripped out, no-compromise sports cars to achieve the low weight and superb handling. They'll probably even trash it's sweet looks by sticking on ugly bumpers (sorry, fenders) just like they did with the E-type

Oh, sorry, this was a poll. If the performance was the same I'd take the Ferrari (or maybe an Aston Martin Vanquish). The engines have more character, they look beautiful and it'd be worth more at trade-in time.

Focus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons