Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
jallyscott
AF Newbie

Car wash using pressure washer!

Hi, I’m exploring using a pressure washer from karcher to wash cars. I understand that one can attach a foam lance to it so that it can dispense detergent. Would washing a car this way without the use of any mitts be clean?
Essentially, I use the high pressure spray nozzle to wash off dirt, and then attach the foam / soap lance followed by another final spray down via the pressure washer.
Appreciate any thought from enthusiast who may have tried this technique.

Thanks in advance!
jallyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Car wash using pressure washer!

If you're really trying to get the car clean, this is not a good way to do it. For starters, using high pressure on dirty paint will force dirt particles in to the clear coat/paint and may cause more damage than if you just left the car dirty. There will often be grime on the vehicle that will require more agitation than high pressure rinsing to remove.

If you're talking a typical car or truck, my suggestion would be to just use a garden hose with an adjustable nozzle set to "Shower" to moisten the paint finish. Then use a good automotive car wash soap to sponge down the car and remove the dirt, followed by a final rinse. The "Shower" setting should be fine for the final rinse as well.

If you're talking a large RV or tractor/trailer, then you may be limited to something like a power washer to get all the surfaces wet.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

I have a 3000 psi gas pressure washer, and it won't get things truly clean. The dirt on the car is kinda an oily road film. Won't come off with pressure washers without taking the paint off with it

Hand washing is the only way.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
Bartelot
AF Newbie

It’s good to use pressure washer to clean your car but don’t use high pressure spray nozzle because it could scratch and take off paint. Always try to spray from some distance.

Hope this will help you.

Last edited by shorod; 06-04-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Non-relevant spam-like link removed by moderator.
Bartelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
carpenter_jai
AF Stunt Driver

If you want to spend money on a helpful gadget you need a mobile filter setup for the final rinse. Water from a filter system gets the water truly pure and will not leave traces of hard minerals after the rinse water dries. I learned this from my neighbour who washes windows professionally.

Jai
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Rick32
AF Newbie

Hand-washing a car is too difficult for lazy people like me... I bought a pressure washer a year ago and use a really simple technique for car cleaning:
1. Rinse the vehicle completely before washing
2. Soap your car. Start from the bottom and work to the top. You do not want to spray the dirt from the lower parts on .
3. Let the detergent work for 5 to 10 minites.
4. Rinse the car completely. This time work from the top to the bottom. Do not spray too close to remove a stain - you will scratch the paint.
5. Towel dry. A lot of people omit that step. Wrong!
Always make sure you towel dry your car after pressure washing. It eliminates the ugly dirty stains left when water evaporates. When a towel gets dirty, just refold it to a clean side.

Do not be tempted to buy too powerful pressure washer just for car / garage cleaning. Unit up to 2000 PSI is completely enough. My pressure washer is AR390 - it is a small, 1800 PSI unit, but is just what I need to clean around the house.

Hope that helps. Now go and get yourself a cold beer! Cheers!
Rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote