Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > STS and STS-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

misfire #2 cylinder

i found a used 96 sts caddy with a mint interior and body it is at a used car dealer in ct. i could probably get it for next to nothing...however they say it has a misfire in cylinder #2. it has about 98k miles on it...very nice car. is this worth considering? ive yet to inquire more about the misfire and why they are not fixing it and just selling as is. is this a common problem on the northstars and should i figure the motor is shot and not even consider it? the car runs and starts up fine but has an obvious misfire...could be as simple as a plug wire or bad plug? if it is i wander why they arent fixing it? hmmmm.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
DFBonnett
AF Enthusiast

Re: misfire #2 cylinder

It might be something simple like a bad plug or wire. It also might be something more. In your place I'd do a compression test first.
DFBonnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
caddydaddy
AF Enthusiast

A misfire problem is pretty rare on the Northstars, but like DF said, it's probably a bad plug, wire, or possibly one of the coil packs are going bad. Can you tell if they are AC Delco ignition parts or aftermarket? The Northstar engines are very sensitive to any aftermarket wires and especially spark plugs. If someone did a tune up and put cheap parts in, that could be the problem. Or if they are still the original plugs and wires, that could be the problem as well!
If the price is right for the car, and you have the means to fix it cheap, then go for it!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
blkmonday
AF Regular

thank you guys for the advice, i actually went and saw it again today on my way home, even know they were closed. i really like the car. its actually a 99 and not a 96...it does have 96k on it, its pearl red with a cream interior digital dash, heated seats etc etc all the goodies. not sure what works and what doesnt. im going to see if they will let me compression test it myself or they will let me be present while they perform the test. im probably going to throw an offer of 3000 grand...does this sound reasonable? they are asking 4000 but they say its negotiable because they dont want to get into fixing the car. they probably wont be to happy that im going to finance the 3000, but im trying to build up my credit again after selling my house. but if they want to sell the car i guess they have no choice. ill keep ya posted with the results from the compression test. and any more information from the actual mechanic that diagnosed it (im sure he just read the obd2). thanks for the advice
Old 05-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
blkmonday
AF Regular

oops i meant to say 3 grand not 3000 grand! that would be overpaying a bit i think
Old 08-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
blkmonday
AF Regular

ended up missing out on this car...bummer since the pearl red cars are so rare, and it was cherry other that a missing cylinder. i ended up buying a 96 sts with 90k on it...dark grey with chrome wheels...very cherry

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > STS and STS-V