Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
SilentNinja
AF Newbie

Unhappy 73nova original paint removal

Well i have a 1973 nova 350 4 door(yes i couldn't find a 2 door...) that had a vynal top....well i took the vynal off and sanded it down....but that really sucked when you don't have the equipment....but....i got that done and now it is time for the body...i wanted to remove the paint...but sanding is going to suck....i just figured out that it is a lacquer paint...i have used the lacquer thinner but it messed up my rags and it uses a lot of those heavy duty paper towels....is there an easier way to do this...cause i do not have the money for a paint job and a lot of people these days just sand a little on the paint and spray primer over it....this is bad cause i have read that lacquer paint is constantly expanding and makes paint bubble....so....yeah any help?.....i was thinking of getting an buffer and a bunch of rags that go on it, poor some lacquer thinner on the rags, to cover a more larger area....but i think i would blow up in some weird way before i got the car done.....lol
SilentNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
smokeyburnouts396
AF Newbie

Re: 73nova original paint removal

i went threw the same shit that your doing now about 7 months ago you deff want to take it done to bare metal you never no whats underneath the paint i just used some paint stripper from my local hardware store it was alot of work shitty work but you gotta do what you gotta do you no i just got a bunch of foam paint bushs it eats right threw them but there cheep any ways n a platic scrapper i wouldnt use a metal one you dont want to dig into the metal and make sure your garage is well ventalated that shit will mess you up i dont no if this helps you but thats the way i did it or you can use a da sander both ways suck
smokeyburnouts396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
SilentNinja
AF Newbie

Re: 73nova original paint removal

yes it does...never thought of the brushes....anyone know anything about a dwell problem.......i keep checking it every once and a while and it keeps moving up to like 35 to 38...after driving if for a few weeks...what does this meen?
SilentNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova