Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
FirstGear
AF Newbie

Smile Noise from the rear drum brakes

Hi All,

When I apply brakes from speed around 50kmph I get a noise from the rear. The noise starts like 'taka taka taka..... takkk.. takkk.. tak..'. It's exactly like putting some plastic item inside an empty plastic bottle and shaking it well and then gradually subsiding the shaking. That's the closest noise I can describe it of. But when I deep press the break or intermittently press the brake the noise does not come much. I reckon the noise is coming from the rear wheel.

Once I took to a mechanic and he replaced the break washer. But the problem still persists.

Please help me to sort this out.

I recorded the noise from my mobile: https://soundcloud.com/kadijah-foun/new-recording-3 (please volume up your device )

Car make: Perodua
Model: Viva Elite Ezi.

Thanks for your time.
FirstGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Noise from the rear drum brakes

I have no idea what a "brake washer" would be. Does your car have 4 wheel disc brakes, or do you have drums in the rear? That noise sounds like a rust ridge on the inner or outer circumference of a brake rotor that is now turning in to part of the braking surface.

Take a look at your rotors inside and out to see if there is an area where the rust appears like it's starting to get polished. If so, replace the rotors or, if they still have enough thickness remaining, have them machined.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Dale85
AF Newbie

Re: Noise from the rear drum brakes

I very much agree with Rod. It sounds like it's with the rotors. Curious to know what causes it too.
Dale85 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical