Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
tccug221
AF Newbie

1999 Cutlass Windshield Wiper Problem

I have a 1999 Olds Cutlass; and have started getting a strange problem with the windshield wipers. Many times when I crank the car the windshield wipers come on even though the switch on the steering column is not in the “on” position. After switching off the car and back on the windshield wipers will stay off and act normally for a while, but it is becoming more common now. When I start my car the windshield wipers come on and I can’t turn them off without 1. Taking the wiper fuse out or turning the car off.
tccug221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 1999 Cutlass Windshield Wiper Problem

could be the multifunction switch going bad. or a damaged wire/short in the column.
you can take it apart and check it out. if you dont know how i can help you with that.

sometimes you can take the switch off and clean the contacts inside. then re grease it with dielectric grease. but if its contacts are worn out or parts are broken you'll prob need to replace it. you can find them cheaper online rather than a dealer or autodrones.

you do need to pull the steering wheel off and remove the two plastic parts around the column and switch. the harness is down the column on the right i think. kinda tough to get to but it can be done without dropping the column brace. think the torx bits are T25 that remove the plastic cover and multifunction switch.

and Welcome to AF. and sorry for the very late reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cutlass , electrical , windshield , wipers
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series